Author Topic: RAF Suffers Minor Setback  (Read 704 times)

Offline BD

• Zinc Member
RAF Suffers Minor Setback
« on: August 18, 2000, 11:24:00 AM »
17 August

While flying a defensive patrol just east of Airfield A-6, a small force of our Spitfires was ruthlessly attacked by a large group of planes of the Japanese Air Force.  Despite a valiant attempt at defending themselves against a numerically superior foe, only one Spitfire returned to base to tell the tale.

Several of our airmen were seen to successfully parachute from their stricken mounts, and there is some small hope that some of our valiant pilots may yet return from the jungle.

There have already been rumors of an investigation of those commanders responsible for this resounding defeat, however, the commanding officer of the British forces was one of those seen to be parachuting to the ground.  He is currently listed as missing and presumed captured.

Offline BD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2000, 11:35:00 AM »
Seriously, though, my take on the battle is this.

The resounding defeat of the British had very little to do with the aircraft chosen.  Rather, it was with how those aircraft were used.

I was asked at (literally) the last minute to CO the allied side, and fully admit to being unprepared for the job.  Ideally, the British pilots should have been broken into at least three flights of about four each, with a CO for each flight.

Also lacking was any discussion of tactics before the fight.  We all know that the Spit V has advantages in terms of durability, weapons, and energy fighting versus the Zeke.  These advantages were nullified because we British pilots chose to engage the Zekes in a turnfighting battle, at which the Zeke is clearly superior.

As CO, I should have devoted more thought and attention to a pre-engagment discussion of our relative advantages and weaknesses, as shown by Chennault in China.

Provided I emerge from the leech infested jungle alive, I would happily CO another event, given some more notice so that I could better prepare.

Thanks again Sabre for a job well done!

maximus13

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2000, 12:37:00 PM »
  Yeah we needed a bit more organization, but u did well. I just hope we sruvive that jungle.

eskimo

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2000, 01:00:00 PM »
We have captured all of the downed allied fliers, and they are being tortured for information.

eskimoson

eskimo

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2000, 01:42:00 PM »
I was also chosen to lead right before the start and was also very unorganized.  It took me about 8 minutes just to figure out how to get out of F-3.  I also had never used the mission planner, and didn't have a clue how to log into it.
My only tactical comands before the fight were;

"Choose a wingman" and "Punch through and turn at the merge"

I did make sure that we got to 18.5K ASAP so that we could have full head of steam up  upon engagement.  I think that we blew it all on the merge however.  When I pulled in behind one of the tail end spits after making an initial 180, I was way to slow to get a solution on him.  He was out of range in 2 or 3 seconds.
I did forget, however, to remind my flight to drop tanks.  It was several minutes into the fight that I realized this, and dropped my own tank.  I'm not sure how many other Zeros entered the fight with tanks on, but I know that Gronk and I did.

I was surprized to see the spits try to turnfight with the zeros.  Although it seems that that's all that can be done with a spit-V, it is the only thing that the A6M is better at.  B and Z tactics may have turned the tide.

eskimo

Offline Ash

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2000, 01:49:00 PM »
Eskimo , I thought you did a fine job getting us up and organized last night <S>. I was very surprized to see the Spits TnBing, but I'm sure the next encounter will have the young allied replacements ready and trained! I really enjoyed myself last night :-). <S> to the TOD team!

OTR,
    Ash
    I./JG2

Renfield

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2000, 08:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by maximus13:
 Yeah we needed a bit more organization, but u did well. I just hope we sruvive that jungle.

You don't think part of the disorganization might have been your bumping a pilot (me) out of Roger Wilco and thus fragmenting the group do you?

Just because you didn't like me getting on your case for constantly not paying attention, IN THE TEXT BUFFER, you bumped me out of the voice coms where I might have been able to do a better job of protecting and being protected.

I think you deserve a little bit of the credit for the outcome there Maximus.

As much as I really don't like your attitude and inability to follow what is going on, I wouldn't bump you or anyone from RW going into a fight unless you were making communications impossible.

maximus13

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2000, 08:44:00 PM »
  Damny why cant I squelch Renfield in the forums!!

maximus13

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2000, 12:53:00 PM »
    RenField, what is your problem???  I joined the game asked if i could be an extra as a buff, no one said anything, and some told me yes.  I wanted to make sure, and then everyone shouted NO BUFFS at me.  1 minute later you come back with some remark saying no buffs.  I had to go AFK for a few and when i got back wanted to make sure i got the right loadout for my spit.... then you squelched me supposedly.  Then BD, our flight leader says rolling, and so I roll. You say "Some Dweeb wasn't listening to the hold un runway order"  Then I asked BD if we should be rolling and he said "Yes, roll".  

Then I told you to get off my case, and you said "shutup Dweeb".  I told you to apologize or I kick you off RW, simple as that.  And you didn't, so I kicked you off.  Don't blame the outcome on me, blame it on yourself.

Renfield

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2000, 01:23:00 PM »
Max, you don't seem to get it. I didn't get shot down. You did. I RTB'd.

The other guys in my squad squelch you as a matter of course on entering the arena and I have also started doing it. After you got shot up during a Saturday event you were all over us blaming us and calling us names for your getting shot down. (which BTW we were trying to help but you turned into us every time making it impossible to get on your attackers) I'm basically fed up with you.

You don't bother to brief before an event and then show up demanding repeatedly that people answer your questions. Then when they do, it takes multiple replies to get the point across.

No matter how you want to justify it, your removing cohesive communications in the group put us at a disadvantage. Most likely minor but a disadvantage nonetheless.

You will probably disregard this, but you would do yourself a favor to talk less and listen more. There is a lot of information in the text buffer. If you would bother reading it, you wouldn't have to ask questions and demand attention all the time.

It is a shame you got the host on RW to where you were able to boot people. I was not on your case on RW - it was only in response to your bleating in the text buffer.

maximus13

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2000, 02:27:00 PM »
  Renfield go suck a cow.  I quit AH, developers are slwo as hell and we are paying them. What a waste.  Time to move onto better games that don't have sheep diddlyers like you in it.

Renfield

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2000, 07:05:00 PM »
Once again you show your inability to wait for an "answer". The guys at HTC, iEN, WWIIOL, etc, are all working hard - very hard - to build sims that have every feature anyone ever asked for. Each wants to build the best and do it in the shortest amount of time possible. Trust me on this. If HTC could build a new version with kick new features and post it for download today they would - it would just help to get more customers and cement customer relations with existing players.

But it takes time Maximus. You are a student and still in school. Ever take a programming class? It can be a lot of fun but if you ever write a program you might appreciate what is involved and how it can't just happen overnight. The faster they kick versions out the door, the more likely there will be bugs - most likely bugs that you and others would crow about.

Yep, we are paying them money. But that money isn't for future versions. It is for sim time as the sim is now. Sure there is the expectation of new versions with new features.

If HTC or the others ever just kick back and not come out with new versions and features, players will leave if there is a better alternative. Witness what is happening at iEN. Your leaving since no new version in a bit may be the leading edge of it happening here.

But you have to remember that there was a tragedy in the HTC family recently and that probably has helped to slow recent development. But consider the alternatives. I think you'll find this is still the best deal going.

Rojo

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2000, 11:39:00 AM »
Ren, Max, et al: KNOCK IT OFF! This can be a good experience. Let's just please keep it professional. If you have a problem with a pilot, try to solve it off line via e-mail, okay. Thanks.

BTW, the downed pilots in Mission 1 have all been rescued by the SAS, for reasons noted elsewhere. Don't expect it to happen regularly, but I felt it justified in this case. Welcome home, RAF dudes . Happy birthday.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)