Author Topic: Rudder Pedals  (Read 1765 times)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Re: Rudder Pedals
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »
In AH fighters have autocoordinated rudder so you don't actually need rudder to fly normally.  Bombers lack autocoordination so rudder is needed.

However rudders are useful in fighters for:
1) keeping the plane aligned with the runway on takeoff, especially when the runway is moving (CVs)
2) yawing the plane for a gun solution (I see a lot of people do this, I never bother)
3) bleeding energy on landing with extreme yaw (side slip), but I think the standard military approach is better (break turn)
4) increasing the rate of roll (snap roll)

I'm curious: what else do you guys use rudder for?

I find rudder pedals to be a bit annoying solely because I sit in a chair with wheels and pushing on the pedals causes me to roll away from the computer ;)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
if you don't use rudder pedals and go up against someone who does, if your skills are equal, plane relative equal, alt equal, you will lose every time.
 infinite more control over plane,   ALSO say all the above is true and you fight some one who flies with stall limiter off but you fly with it on you will lose EVERY TIME!!!! again more control over the plane!! the more you have control the better you will become!!!

unless of course you have the mentality of 80% of those who fly in MA, you don't need rudder or stall limiter, to pick and run!!

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »
I agree with ink... rudder control is a critical control surface for any aircraft.

Can you fly without it?  Sure.

Can you fly WELL without it?  Well that's all relative.  Again, against someone as experienced as you and as skilled as you WITH ruder... well then no, but against one of these NOOBS that only know HO or BNZ tactics... then yes!

I was used to the rudder 'rocker' on my X-45 (I never have cared for twisty sticks), and that in addition to my limited real life flying experience in a Cessna 172 (I have about.. three or four unofficial flight hours, three take-offs and two landings)... well when I updated to an X52 and my pedals it just came natural and no adjustment time was needed.  But I can completely understand how this would be the case for someone who is used to a twisty... or used to not using rudder at all!

Once my pedals broke and I re-assigned my twisty as rudder.. just so I could finish off the evening and THAT I just couldn't get used to.. some of the worst flying I've done in ages!  (Although I did manage to get three kills like that).

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 08:59:24 AM »
CH pro pedals wouldn't fly with out them now.  took about 2-4 weeks of ramming into the back of people trying to make a shot but it only gets better from then on   :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 12:30:22 PM »
Darn, I ordered CH FS, pedals and Throttle but then canceled them. But they said they couldn't cancel them but then did. So I guess I will order them again.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 03:36:16 PM »
Rudder Pedals.......Only way to fly!  :aok

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »
In AH fighters have autocoordinated rudder so you don't actually need rudder to fly normally.

While the uses you list are good, this statement is flat out wrong.

AH does not auto-coordinate. If you don't control the rudder it sits neutral.

What AH has is combat trim. This will set rudder to the best position to keep your nose pointed forward based on your speed, assuming you're in level flight. However, the rudder settings for normal flight aren't always the best when pulling Gs and mixing it up, so you WILL see the slip indicator ball flying all over the place.

If AH had auto-coordination, the ball would never move from the centered location, ever.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »

What AH has is combat trim. This will set rudder to the best position to keep your nose pointed forward based on your speed, assuming you're in level flight. However, the rudder settings for normal flight aren't always the best when pulling Gs and mixing it up, so you WILL see the slip indicator ball flying all over the place.

If AH had auto-coordination, the ball would never move from the centered location, ever.

Too much tech for me Krusty.

However, I did just order the Ch pedals, Stick, and throttle. Gulp, that's not cheap. But after this thread and watching Dogfights on the History channel I was overwhelmed.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 08:29:07 PM »

I said that because: 1) I saw it mentioned on the BBS, perhaps by someone from HTC, maybe not and 2) fighters show essentially no ball movement in simple turns while bombers show significant ball movement and require the rudder to recenter the ball.  However, 1) might have been from someone who was in error and 2) might be due to the different aerodynamics of bombers vs fighters that necessitate much more rudder for standard turns.  Since I don't really know why rudder is required in a coordinated turn, I am likely wrong.

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »
I've been flying with CH Pro Rudders scince the gameport days. I love'em. Now I'm running CH PRO USB. I just gave my gameport rudders to H338.

Spatula:

What gameport to usb adapter did you use? And where did ya get it?

Wabbit
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 09:44:48 AM »
Could a CH pedal system work with a Saitek X-52 and throttle system? Probably gonna get a saitek pedal system but thought I should ask anyway.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 07:49:39 AM »
same here, I started to get outright furious with mine,  I think the pedal learning curve is proportional to how long you have been using a twist stick..   the longer you've been twisting, the longer it will take to get used to pedals..

that said, if you gave me a twisty stick now, i would probably throw it at you.

I'm in trouble, been using twisty stick for 12 years. Did have a short treacherous period using the mouse. My Ch Products are otw. Wish me luck!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »
Could a CH pedal system work with a Saitek X-52 and throttle system? Probably gonna get a saitek pedal system but thought I should ask anyway.

You can use any compination of controllers in AH2. The game doesnt care who build them ;)

I'm using a combination of X45 throttle, Cyborg 3D Gold Joystick, Simped pro USB pedals, TrackIr4 as my input devices.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 09:47:12 AM »
Best rudder setups in my opinion...NON-MODIFIED

Simped
CH
Saitek

MODIFIED (but I haven't see any of the others modified.)
TM RCS with Hall Sensor and Toe Brake modifications
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 04:01:28 PM »

X52 pro, CH pedals here

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs