Author Topic: The Real Reason the P-51 is so Popular  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Dominare

• Zinc Member
Re: The Real Reason the P-51 is so Popular
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2008, 10:14:43 AM »
I'm new to the game, however I have been flying a P-51B at around 17-18k and I BnZ the guys that are lower, usually have to turn tail after dropping one and regain altitude... but the performance increase in a P-51 from 8K to 18K is awesome, you get a great cruise speed and even though other people don't fly that high in my little experience it can make for some good BnZ... Just have to watch your speed and angle of descent or it'll get away from you and you'll mash the ground at good speed  :frown:
P-38J 338th FS / 55th FG (Battle Over Germany)
P-38J 432nd FS / 475th FG (Phillipine Phandango)
190D-9 II/JG27 (The Final Battle)
YAK-9U 318 IAP (Red Storm - Krupp Steel)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »
Welcome to the game Dominare.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »
Yes, IMO the biggest advantage the P-51 has in this game is that its cruise speed sans WEP is so fast and that it has the range to cruise till the cows come home...above 10K, its cruising around as fast or faster than a D9 burning its WEP! If you meet something co alt or slightly below with a head of steam built up in  a P-51, chances are you have enough of an E advantage to work with.

The downside of all is, I swear, it seems like you have to run level two sectors to get the thing up to its max speed.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2008, 12:23:21 PM »
.above 10K, its cruising around as fast or faster than a D9 burning its WEP!

Actually the point were P51D without wep is faster than a 190D-9 with wep is about 22K and up.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2008, 04:05:31 PM »
Evenhaim:

My point is though, the Pony in the ETO wasn't an "eh...it's okay, a jug that can fly farther" airplane. It was regarded as second only to the Spit and P-38 as an Allied dogfighter in that theatre.

Remember, the British said the Mustang turned better than their Typhoon and Tempest, airplanes that clearly whip both P-51s in turning in AHII (Check DokGonzo's fighter comparison if you don't believe me.). You might dismiss the low opinion they test pilots gave the turning circle of 109 as propaganda or ignorance of how to push the turn and use the slats in that airplane. Certainly it doesn't make sense that they put the 109 and 190 in the same bucket, given the former's lighter wingloading and the German's own comparisions. But I find it unlikely that the British didn't know how to fly their own airplanes to the limit, or wanted to propagandize against the Hawker Tempest in favor of the North American Mustang.

A P-51 that turned slightly better than a Tempest would be in a close chase with an La7 in turn radius...and of course carry far more sentimental value. It might quite possibly have to be perked, the D model at least. And that would probably be bad for business, possibly a reason that the P-51 is as it is currently.
   sorry bnz the pomy will out turn typhy and big brother with throttle flaps etc...
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »
Everyone always says the P-51 is a great plane in the right hands. Where can I get a pair of those hands?  :cool:

:rofl  precious..
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »
   sorry bnz the pomy will out turn typhy and big brother with throttle flaps etc...

What you probably mean to say is that a P-51 can drop on a Tempest around it's corner speed, drop flaps, pull back on the throttle and sustain a great turn RATE long enough to pull lead for a shot...but practically any plane can do that if the E states are right. P-51 will lose an angles fight with a Tempest from an even break in this game. Not saying thats right, bu that is the way it is.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »
The Ki-61 will shoot down both with ease.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »
Its not the plane. Its what you know about the plane you are flying and what you know about the plane you are fighting. All the talk about this plane owns that plane is rubbish. Be patient in your flying and be aware of the situations that require discretion. Fly the plane you are comfortable in.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2008, 10:56:28 PM »
Just tried it with the offline AI my Tempest against AI's P-51B and vis versa.. He always flys the same way, so he makes a good control.

AI always gives you his six on the merge, so that makes things easier than they normally would be. I flew to "stay in the saddle" as long as possible, not to shoot. Although I was able to stay behind indefinitely in both matchups, it was much easer when I was flying the Tempest than the P-51B.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »
I'm new to the game, however I have been flying a P-51B at around 17-18k and I BnZ the guys that are lower, usually have to turn tail after dropping one and regain altitude... but the performance increase in a P-51 from 8K to 18K is awesome, you get a great cruise speed and even though other people don't fly that high in my little experience it can make for some good BnZ... Just have to watch your speed and angle of descent or it'll get away from you and you'll mash the ground at good speed  :frown:

Welcome to the game, and have fun! :aok

donkey
2sBlind

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2008, 12:27:44 AM »
 51 in the hands of a pile it that knows his plane will beat the crap out of most of this games planes.As the hist ch said.It was the best all around fighter of its era.It can handle trouble and it can get out of touble.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2008, 07:14:27 AM »
I'd say the 51 is average for most roles in AHII at best, but I still love the plane, like some may love the 38 or the 109 series.  The 51 was first plane I flew in AH, but for me it was something different.  At a young age I heard a live 51 in flight and it was something about the sound of the Merlin that gave me chills. The I started reading about the pilots and the battles of those pilots, and  I really got into the 51.  To see one up close, the lines are quite beautiful and very smooth.  As for in the game I tend to fly the 51 the most, and I'm not afraid to get low and duke it out with Spit or LAs.  But I have fun doing it.  Add in Twinbooms eng sounds, Rangers 50 cal sounds and MachNix and Fencers skins and I'm content whether I get some kills or shot down.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »
Its no big secret that its best attributes are its high speed, high and medium speed handling qualities (roll and turn, and combat flap setting at 400 TAS), and a very fast, stable dive, and wing mounted MGs that are reasonably easy to hit with. For those reasons alone its going to be a popular ride. Like all the a/c it has its strengths and weaknesses.

Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2008, 08:59:36 AM »
Pony is the best all around plane in the game. :aok