Author Topic: Polite request to fellow Allied pilots  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Polite request to fellow Allied pilots
« on: April 18, 2008, 08:22:05 PM »
F4U late Pac setups are few and far between. Invariably the spawn homes for the F4U are limited to a particular CV group. In this case, each CV is a unique spawn home for a unique plane. Honestly, I prefer the F4U-1a or F4U-1 to any other F4U (even the mighty C-Hog that spawns off of one of the tasks forces currently).

Now ... I know training in the MA pretty much requires suicide beaching of task forces for invasion purposes or head to head fleet slug-fests but this week's AvA setup isn't awarding glory for the rapid invasion and capture of Okinawa. It's just a setting. I'm not going to completely discourage capture or invasion. For some players that's the only way they can get their groove on. That's fine. BUT ... could you limit the number of fleets YOU sink to at least just one an hour or so? I'm a flexible sort. If the 1a is unspawnable I'll take the dash 1. If that's not available I'll take a dog model. If you force me into a C-Hog, yeah, I can enjoy it to a dgree but the guy I trashed from my uber-perch not-so-much and that kinda puts a damper on things (even for me - bad aftertaste and all ... like waking up with the ugly girl you picked up at the bar).

I can't or won't blame the Axis for sinking everything within ten miles of their shoreline (even further if they can scout it out and get `er done). There's more fear of letting practically any F4U up (especially on a map/setup that'll have more F4U fans than IJN ones) than there is getting smacked by fleet ack in the attempt. But, come on. Give a fellow Allied player that's also a Corsair fan a break. This week there's no capture goals for a war to win. If you want this Corsair freak in the air looking for enemy planes, you'll hafta not be part of the hindrance when it comes to me having that ride. My second choice of fun here would be to switch and defend the outnumbered (when they are) in one of their sweet later war rides (which I'll do from time to time this week, anyhoo). PLEASE .. don't make that my only option, though.

Thanks for your patience and maturity reading this.  :salute :D

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Re: Polite request to fellow Allied pilots
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »
Please, Arlo . . . asking for rules or some form of decorum from your fellow players?  What could you possibly be thinking.

And rather out of character for you as well, I might add.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:45:57 PM »
Rules? Did you think you saw some demands for rules? Heh. And where did you imagine I'm against decorum? Don't invent issues to have with me or reinvent my character to fit your need for them. Anyways .... another polite request:

I can understand the Avengers decision to switch. As a unit they enjoy the capture aspect of the game and .... well ... quite frankly the map didn't start with a whole lot of Allied territory to grab. So, like I said, I understand and support their decision. But, would an Allied squad of equal size (if there is one - if not how about more than one equating) please consider going Axis (if it can be stomached)? The AvA participants from my squadron wouldn't offset as large a transisition as the Avengers move did (my cawd - I saw the squad list on their request for Allied forum access and heard the five remaining Axis players curse in Germanese from here). And, quite frankly, there's not a lot of selfish requests on my part but a Corsair to fly, an enemy to meet in the sky and a clear conscience would be the exception this time.

xOcet! <salute> brave Samauri pilot defending against the blue horde!

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:01:21 PM »
I'm not inventing anything, nor did I ever use the word "demand."  I am also unsure why you believe I have any "issues" with you or anyone else . . . so please, refrain from inventing any yourself.

I am simply pointing out that people will do whatever they want, regardless of anyone's polite request.  To expect otherwise is rather naive, don't you think?

Offline JagdTankker

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 09:11:13 PM »
F4U late Pac setups are few and far between. Invariably the spawn homes for the F4U are limited to a particular CV group. In this case, each CV is a unique spawn home for a unique plane. Honestly, I prefer the F4U-1a or F4U-1 to any other F4U (even the mighty C-Hog that spawns off of one of the tasks forces currently).

Now ... I know training in the MA pretty much requires suicide beaching of task forces for invasion purposes or head to head fleet slug-fests but this week's AvA setup isn't awarding glory for the rapid invasion and capture of Okinawa. It's just a setting. I'm not going to completely discourage capture or invasion. For some players that's the only way they can get their groove on. That's fine. BUT ... could you limit the number of fleets YOU sink to at least just one an hour or so? I'm a flexible sort. If the 1a is unspawnable I'll take the dash 1. If that's not available I'll take a dog model. If you force me into a C-Hog, yeah, I can enjoy it to a dgree but the guy I trashed from my uber-perch not-so-much and that kinda puts a damper on things (even for me - bad aftertaste and all ... like waking up with the ugly girl you picked up at the bar).

I can't or won't blame the Axis for sinking everything within ten miles of their shoreline (even further if they can scout it out and get `er done). There's more fear of letting practically any F4U up (especially on a map/setup that'll have more F4U fans than IJN ones) than there is getting smacked by fleet ack in the attempt. But, come on. Give a fellow Allied player that's also a Corsair fan a break. This week there's no capture goals for a war to win. If you want this Corsair freak in the air looking for enemy planes, you'll hafta not be part of the hindrance when it comes to me having that ride. My second choice of fun here would be to switch and defend the outnumbered (when they are) in one of their sweet later war rides (which I'll do from time to time this week, anyhoo). PLEASE .. don't make that my only option, though.

Thanks for your patience and maturity reading this.  :salute :D

now i am on a ission to sink all the Allied CV's   :D
<<---chasing the flock of Seagulls-aka JG/11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 09:37:42 PM »
I'm not inventing anything, nor did I ever use the word "demand." *(There is no difference in "asking for rules" and "making demands of fellow players" - I did neither, I made a polite request and we'll see where that leads. - Arlo) I am also unsure why you believe I have any "issues" with you or anyone else . . . so please, refrain from inventing any yourself.

I am simply pointing out that people will do whatever they want, regardless of anyone's polite request.  To expect otherwise is rather naive, don't you think?

Easy, Francis. I can't predict the outcome and I didn't place demands or even suggest rules. That was your invention, not mine. If you don't have an issue with me then don't pretend to. :)  :salute

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* "Please, Arlo . . . asking for rules or some form of decorum from your fellow players?  What could you possibly be thinking.

And rather out of character for you as well, I might add." - an "innocent" observation from another player after my request ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 09:43:31 PM by Arlo »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:38:14 PM »
now i am on a ission to sink all the Allied CV's   :D

I never expected otherwise. ;)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »
Asking for anything at all certainly seems contrary to this . . .
Player .... mind thy own ethical standard. Feel free to set the example for it but c'mon ... if it's something that's not an issue for the game designer/owner ..... don't run me over with your bandwagon or try to shove the "bird of unethicalness" argument up my nose. I will not stand by the petition (once again). I will not enforce my or anyone else's personal standards (or lack of them, for that matter) on another player. If I was active staff again, I wouldn't enforce anything outside of AHII TOS.

Offline PhantomBarron

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:49:29 PM »
 Hmm, Didn’t I read a posting of requests by Jeager that got pummeled in a similar manor.

Game ID: Tyrant

Relax, What I’ve taken from you now will eventually be inherited by the Meek

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 12:05:29 AM »
Asking for anything at all certainly seems contrary to this . . .

Is it? Interesting conclusion. :)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:06:59 AM »
Hmm, Didn’t I read a posting of requests by Jeager that got pummeled in a similar manor.

What I posted was a polite request to not play so silly with the limited spawnpoints for Allied CV planes and to consider taking advantage of the reduced swap times most everyone seemed to be in favor of less than 24 hrs ago. It was worth a shot. I took it. You witnessed it and volunteered to be a commentator. :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:44:33 AM by Arlo »

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 12:24:35 AM »
I just don't want to see you set yourself up for frustration, Arlo.  Asking for something you know will not be delivered is surely setting yourself up for a fall, isn't it?
You can't dictate chivalry. It's in the player or it's not. And every player perceives it differently. Sometimes even differently just from who does what to whom. Sometimes just from a moment of frustration outweighing their earlier passionate forum declaration. I'm not pissing on Jaeger ... I'm bringing up the obvious. Glad Jaeger made the suggestion, just because it revealed the need to go over how a player's frustration with other players and how they play the game may be best addressed by not setting ourselves up for frustration as much rather than dictating to others how to make our own lives less frustrating.
I guess it is all about expectations.  If you don't expect anyone will pay attention to your request to leave the CVs alone, then you can't be frustrated when they ruin your fun.

But if you don't expect it, why request it?  Hmm . . .

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 12:30:34 AM »
In all seriousness, I wouldn't call it hypocrisy . . . ironic, perhaps, but not quite hypocritical.  It was just a little too precious to pass up.   :D

Now ... when it comes to others demanding "fair play" or "chivalrous behavior" of others ... to the point of recommending everyone in the sandbox agree to playing or not playing the game in a manner that really has nothing to do with TOS violations and everything to do with their personal frustration ... I speak up on the boards and suggest what I feel is a more practical, even more adult approach. I'd much rather them suggest less whining and more playing and getting past all that.

Don't worry, I'll leave your little sandbox alone.   ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 12:38:39 AM »
I just don't want to see you set yourself up for frustration, Arlo.  Asking for something you know will not be delivered is surely setting yourself up for a fall, isn't it?I guess it is all about expectations.  If you don't expect anyone will pay attention to your request to leave the CVs alone, then you can't be frustrated when they ruin your fun.

But if you don't expect it, why request it?  Hmm . . .

I did all I planned to do. I made a reasonable request in a mature manner then let it go (or as "go" as responding to your take on things the last few posts involves). And I'm not even moved to continue that. :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:16:00 AM by Arlo »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 12:57:27 AM »
So much for a polite request. :huh