Author Topic: Player modifiable "skins"?  (Read 675 times)

Offline Fidd

• Copper Member
Player modifiable "skins"?
« on: February 28, 2001, 07:38:00 PM »
Just wondering why it seems not possible...? Seems to be a missed oppurtunity (imho) to create a lot of interest - especially in historical events. On air-warrior we've had a whole range of scenarios where this has been done, with both planes and terrains re-painted for some years...

Obviously this is a conscious decsion by HT -just curious as to why the omission? Could it be that the possibilty is that people would edit out obstructions to their cockpit views, and so gain an advantage - if that IS the problem, is there no way of preventing it - but allowing the alteration of colours/unit markings?

Fidd

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2001, 08:14:00 PM »
 I hope your post gets a good answer Fidd. I'd like to see customer camo/art but I cannot recall ever reading why HTC cannot allow it.

-Westy

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2001, 08:22:00 PM »
This is one item that i hope HT never allows, the last thing i wana see is Pink p47s or Yellow 190s or Orange Spit..

Skins are great for offline, but i dont want them online.

Dog out..

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2001, 08:46:00 PM »
jeez wardog, you should know better.

obviously hitech could either have hitech employees, or just intelligent community members like those on the CM team or a whole new art team screen player applications.

i dont think anyone is in favor of people being able to modify the front end. but being able to submit work to people who know what they are doing is another story.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2001, 08:48:00 PM »
It depends how it's done, wardog.

For example,Airwarrior skins only appear on your own computer, so it's always "off line" in that respect.

On the other hand, having the correct markings and schemes for an historic scenario is wonderfull.

I magine with some guidelines in place, *if* it's possible, it could only be a positive thing. True, it's unrealistic to see a lemon and pink tiger striped P-51, but no more so than having a Spit IX bouncing a Lanc.
Fidd, your aware that you can in fact make nose art?

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2001, 08:51:00 PM »
On the contrary, I would love to see a variety in paint schemes... especially ones that are easy to see and shoot   Besides, someone's skin would not have to be visible to everyone else. It might only be visible on their computer or to those that have a "download skins" option turned on.

When certain aces fly distinctive schemes as the Red Baron did in real life, it allows psychological warfare: "omg! its <insert feared veteran's name here>!"

Of course people might copy an ace's scheme to use it as a shield (though it would also attract ace hunters   ).

I like P-40B Tigershark "Flying Tigers" scheme myself... though for jets, I like Blue Angels or Thunderbirds colors... Nothing like fighting over Vietnam in a Red White and Blue F-4   It may not be historical, but it is fun and memorable.

I love realism, but in reality I am not a pilot and will never fly or die fighting in WWII. So in a game, I think fun takes priority. Save the historical limitations for your historical arena   (which I would love as well).

I like the idea of people seeing me and remembering who they fought whether we chatted or not. Preferably as they are dangling by their chute straps  

Later,
Stephen the Eagle
aka streak

[This message has been edited by streakeagle (edited 02-28-2001).]
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2001, 10:04:00 PM »

Originally posted by Wardog:
This is one item that i hope HT never allows, the last thing i wana see is Pink p47s or Yellow 190s or Orange Spit..

Skins are great for offline, but i dont want them online.

Dog out..

this one is easy WD.  Treat it kinda like nose art, except instead of the entire squadron wearing the skin only your FE wears it.  If everyone else chooses to download your skin then they see only you (or others who have chosen to wear it) wearing your skin.  For the ones they haven't chosen to download they see the default skins.

If someone who wants to see bright pink everything dinnae pay close attention all they do is mark themselves, because I'd damn sure download a bright pink skin if someone is crazy enough to wear it  

TheWobble

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2001, 12:40:00 AM »
I would love skins, i dont care how ugly they get, just gives ya more reson to shoot the basterd down, if the fashon bandit is on YOUR team, well..change teams and kill him then ....?

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2001, 01:20:00 AM »
I would like SOB to design my new Cockpit, after I've seen what he's capable of... that man's beginning to be my Idol  

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Effdub

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.netsurf.de/robert.sander/
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
The player input I've seen in EAW, Fighter Squadron and now WB was/is amazing.

So many talented people.

go here to check out the skin contributions for WB - fantastic work! Hmmm, no pink P-51 there... :P

http://www.iencentral.com/warbirds/wb3_viewer.html

Effdub

Offline Effdub

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.netsurf.de/robert.sander/
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2001, 07:56:00 AM »
hmmm, 1st post didn't show up... here I go again...

Player input in EAW, Fighter Squadron, WB etc was/is amazing
Before you guys start spreading myths about pink P-51's you should check out those works of art. A lot of users are very talented and spend hours recreating  WWII planes/skins very accuratly down to the nuts and bolts.

want proof? check this out:
 http://www.iencentral.com/warbirds/wb3_viewer.html

now tell me more about pink P-51's...

Effdub