Author Topic: trying to cure screen freeze  (Read 844 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: trying to cure screen freeze
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 08:10:33 PM »
I don't know but if you can't keep a finger on the heatsink very long it might be.
I try to take my box outside twice a year and blow some compressed air over the heatsinks and dust off the fans.
Squad night or I'd reboot and see what temperature I have.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 05:54:28 AM »
That is well within operational temperatures for that Celeron.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »
This is the time of year that heat related symptoms start to show.  Remove the side of your case and  place a fan on the floor facing in. If the problem is heat the freeze will stop. Your symptoms can definitely be that.
While in the case make sure you blow any dust/dirt out as well.

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »
I feel your pain.
I've been crash free for about 3 nights in a row.  Usually when I crash to it's when I first load the game.
Vista is NOT good for this game.  Not optimized for vista and nor are many games to say the least.  I can play cod4 , crysis etc on max setting or high on crysis without even the slightest hiccup.
This game however does do alot of stuff as I can see.  All of those things have to be pushed to their limits at times.

If I were you, I would ensure your power supply was running solid.  Also, you'd be surprised how bad your home electric drops and peaks.  A UPS , even a 450watter for about $79 can do wonders.  It helped me on another system long ago as did swapping a power supply on yet another system.

Personally, I have other issues (vista and creative sound drivers)

After reading a sound card engineers blog about sound card drivers poorly written after years of hard work put into new sound card tech, it's come to my attention that sound cards and sound drivers are possibly up to 70% of the crashes out there!  That's a HUGE number and the sound card industry should be totally ashamed.  I'm learning more and more as this becomes an issue.

Personally, I think people overlook flaky motherboards too.  It's always best to ensure the mobo is up to date iwth the bios AND that you also run a memory stress test like memtest86 (I believe it's called).  Let it run for like 8 hours while your home.  I never like stress testing computers while I'm away, I've had a power supply catch fire before, small and smelly but scared me as it was next to a garbage can :o

Offline Hurricane

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 06:58:29 AM »
ive updated all the motherboard stuff from the manufacturers site, Overclocked the processer, the power supply was bought new a couple of months ago and is pretty good.

still no improvement tho!

A friend suggested having a seperate part of the harddrive to boot up to and have nothing else on it apart from ah2 and of course windows to make sure theres nothing else running in the background that might be stealing resources.  Will try this tonight.

Will let you know if i find a solution or cause! cheers guys.