Author Topic: Non- Standard Bombsight Calibration  (Read 1371 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Non- Standard Bombsight Calibration
« on: April 22, 2008, 04:08:47 PM »
Never flew some of the bombers until I started doing Axis vs Allies. Since I was with Axis, the battle only allowed my a JU87 or 88. Having fired torpedoes from an 88 before, I chose that one.

Then, at my normal distance from the target I tried to calibrate and two items remained in red. One said something about clicking on a map or something. I couldn't figure it out by the time I reached the target and just tried dive bombing, missing the town entirely, believe it or not.

What's the deal with these non- standard bomb sights like the JU88, KI61(was that the one I just tried?)? What extra steps must be taken?

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
Re: Non- Standard Bombsight Calibration
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ check out the level bombing section. It uses the old style of calibration.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:41:28 AM »
xtiger I came across the same thing when i was in there.  It is easy when you know how.

1) click to set target alt; go into the bombsight calibration mode and bring up your map, zoom in then click on the target you want to hit, this will put an alt figure in there, obviously it will remain 0 if your target is sea level.
2) lining your target it up is very important give yourself lots of time to get it right
3) the key difference is holding Y on your intended target.  Use your joystick to swing the bombsite forward then pick what you want to bomb, hold the crosshair on it moving your stick slightly backwards to keep it on target whilst pressing Y.  After 5-10 seconds of holding there let go of y and exit calibration mode, the bombsite should snap back into the distance, altitude and speed of where your bombs are going to fall.  With the limited time i had doing it I managed to hit everything with a great deal of success. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »
xtiger I came across the same thing when i was in there.  It is easy when you know how.

1) click to set target alt; go into the bombsight calibration mode and bring up your map, zoom in then click on the target you want to hit, this will put an alt figure in there, obviously it will remain 0 if your target is sea level.
2) lining your target it up is very important give yourself lots of time to get it right
3) the key difference is holding Y on your intended target.  Use your joystick to swing the bombsite forward then pick what you want to bomb, hold the crosshair on it moving your stick slightly backwards to keep it on target whilst pressing Y.  After 5-10 seconds of holding there let go of y and exit calibration mode, the bombsite should snap back into the distance, altitude and speed of where your bombs are going to fall.  With the limited time i had doing it I managed to hit everything with a great deal of success. 

Actually slightly wrong.

Enter calibration mode.  Hold down Y while holding the crosshairs on any convenient point on the map to calibrate speed.  Click your intended target to calibrate altitude.  Exit calibration mode.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
ah yes, love the AVA bomb site. Soon as i think i got it and hit a target on the head, I'll miss the next by a half mile.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:11:23 AM »
So the two of you are saying you have to do the old style calibration in AvA, where you have to hold the crosshairs on a target for two seconds or more, in addition to clicking on the map. Different than Late War?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 11:22:35 AM »
So the two of you are saying you have to do the old style calibration in AvA, where you have to hold the crosshairs on a target for two seconds or more, in addition to clicking on the map. Different than Late War?

Yes, I believe that is correct.  I think they still use the old calibration method in the AvA, or at least with certain scenarios.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 11:25:37 AM »
Hmmm...bummer. I never did get that method down. :cry

Ok. Thanks guys.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »
Correct, AVA has that site for every map. When they held the first "War" allies got crushed in the late rounds cause nobody really wanted to use it. A few guys asked for the laser guided MA site but were denied.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
You don't have to hold the crosshair on the point being used as the marker. Just make sure the crosshair is on the same point when you release the Y key as when you started pressing it. Focusing on holding it steady over the marker doesn't improve your calibration.

What we are doing is measuring the change in the angle of the bombsight from start to finish as we use a stopwatch with the Y key.

Also, you can select target altitude at any time. It does not have to be after any of your calibrations. Once it is set, it's set. Make sure you zoom in tightly on the map when you click on your target because, for example, towns are not always the same altitude as its field.

Push the bombsight forward by pushing your stick forward to set up your calibration marker.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 03:08:21 AM »
xtyger  it is fairly easy when you get some practice.  Personally IMO they should stick it into the MA and make everyone bomb with it.

baldeagle my description wasn't wrong the target is as good as any point to calibrate your speed on.  I like to swing my bombers round fairly quickly and re-lineup for a second pass.  Not best practice I know, but you havent got time to pick any point in that scenario.
Either way it works.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 03:19:33 AM »
The full calibration method was much better. It took some skill to get everything perfect to hit the target and bomber pilot got some respect if they could do it. The trouble was that most bomber pilots have no skills and do not wish to learn, so they just dive bombed from F4 view instead.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 10:56:30 AM »
xtyger  it is fairly easy when you get some practice.  Personally IMO they should stick it into the MA and make everyone bomb with it.

baldeagle my description wasn't wrong the target is as good as any point to calibrate your speed on.  I like to swing my bombers round fairly quickly and re-lineup for a second pass.  Not best practice I know, but you havent got time to pick any point in that scenario.
Either way it works.

The only reason I brought it up is that I like to calibrate over a sector from target so I'm not messing with it as I align on final approch.  At that distance I can't even see the target much less put the crosshairs on it.  My point was you can do it anywhere.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 12:29:57 PM »
But keeping the same speed and altitude that you calibrated at would be difficult, wouldn't it?

I generally calibrate (in the other arenas) up to four times while approaching the target, just so if someone tries to interfere with my bomb run, at least I've had some calibration done. But my final calibration is as I have the target in view and I know I'm at the speed and altitude I'll drop the bombs at.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 01:02:05 PM »
But keeping the same speed and altitude that you calibrated at would be difficult, wouldn't it?

I generally calibrate (in the other arenas) up to four times while approaching the target, just so if someone tries to interfere with my bomb run, at least I've had some calibration done. But my final calibration is as I have the target in view and I know I'm at the speed and altitude I'll drop the bombs at.

I prefer to have my speed and altitude stabalized and be mostly on my final flight path by no later than one sector out (2 sectors out in AR234's).  This means I have to level, point toward the target, open doors and begin to gain speed 2 sectors out (4 sectors out in AR234's).  As long as speed and alt are stable the calibration is good and I can concentrate on final alignment rather than rushing to get a calibration in. 

Also, with E6B open, I can calibrate and re-calibrate until I hit the speed numbers right on the head (no variation between actual and calibrated speeds).  Being so close to target when you calibrate doesn't allow that luxury.