Author Topic: Earthquake in Washington. Everyone OK?  (Read 570 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Earthquake in Washington. Everyone OK?
« on: February 28, 2001, 08:29:00 PM »
6.8 Earthquake.  Having been in one I know how terrifying they can be.  Anyone who thinks they are "fun" has never really been in one.

Rip? Gospel? Who else is up there???

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Pinner

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2001, 09:33:00 PM »
I was in a rural area NE of Seattle during the quake. The building I was in was rocking pretty good, quake lasting around a minute or so I think. We were lucky to not have any damage to our building, unlike some of the older buildings in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area.

It is amazing there was not more personal injury/loss of life with a quake this size... We were very lucky.

jato757

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2001, 09:50:00 PM »
i was not in that quake, but i was in san francico in 1989, and that was a shaker, had to move after that one  
hope all u guys in seatle are ok
------------------

[This message has been edited by jato757 (edited 02-28-2001).]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2001, 09:55:00 PM »
I'm here in Oregon and we felt it here too.  I was VERY lucky it wasn't centered farther south.  Many of the buildings here are very old and studies of the building I was in at the time said that it would only take a 5.1 to bring it down.  One other building here is only supposed to be 4.8!  (Both are made of sandstone and are around 100 years old.)

I just hope the damage wasn't too great, AND that this one just isn't a warm-up for a bigger one to follow very soon.  (News I've heard said the capitol dome cracked.   )

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2001, 10:24:00 PM »
I'm on the border of Oregon/Washington along the I-5, no damage, but a nice roller.

I've been thru a number of Earthquakes, including the Northridge one when I live in Los Angeles, forunately this was a roller, not a jolter like the Northridge, so far everyone I know seems a.o.k.

Thanks for the Concern tho.

Got a phone call from EddieK (an ASSASSIN squadmate) he had to dial assistance hunt my number and go thru all kinds of hoops to get me, but he did it all to see if we were alright....GOD I love this community! I mean it, it's things like that, and the Sniper tribute, the many, many posts when HiTech's family loss occurred.........and so on that shows why communities like this one are the BEST!

<S>
Milenko

------------------
"ASSASSINS have BIGGER Joysticks!"

<< MILENKO >>
ACES HIGH ASSASSINS Website
WB/AH ASSASSINS Website

Offline AKSneaky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.usaserve.net\sneakynet
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2001, 10:34:00 PM »