Author Topic: mission editor tutorial  (Read 2893 times)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
Re: mission editor tutorial
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 03:16:22 PM »
I started getting some screenshots of using the ME and added some notes to possibly help make things a little easier to understand. I will put them into a word document with some additional notes to try and ease the use a little as well. I will post tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully it will help. I am not the best person for making an instructional document, but I think this might help.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
I got done a little faster than expected. Please keep in mind this is my first attempt at making a step by step tuorial. I also did not type a lot since it sounds as though the biggest thing most people want is some kind of visual to go with the tutorial. So for the most part that is what I have done, with a few side notes.

Let me know if there is anything I can change and I will do my best to improve it. Hope this is at leat enough to get some of you started until Baumer gets his done or someone else has a better one.

http://files.filefront.com/ME+tutorialdoc/;10060196;/fileinfo.html

Hope this helps.

Good luck

edit: realized something that needed be added to tutorial
link is to updated file
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:42:39 PM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 04:55:01 PM »
The file wouldnt load the pictures.
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 05:03:55 PM »
I tested the download right after I posted and it worked fine. It did take a little while for word to open pics though. Did you give it sufficient time to open the pics, there are a lot of them and they are large.

In the mean time I will try it again.

edit: just tried it again no problem with download but took time for word to open pics. By the way re-rdownlad that crazy I did make a small change to that file. Seems there was a detail that I overlooked with the editor and I made the correction. The download is here

http://files.filefront.com/ME+tutorialdoc/;10060196;/fileinfo.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 05:10:08 PM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 06:15:02 AM »
It says that it us unable to converse the pictures throught the comversion filter. I will try to open it with wordpad.
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:14 AM »
For all who have been having trouble using the tutorial that I made, here is the pic files that I used.

http://files.filefront.com/editor+tutorialzip/;10063834;/fileinfo.html

Just open them up with what ever you use for JPEG images
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 09:33:19 AM »
Hey dkff49,

I appreciate your work in trying to make the tutorial more relevant, but there are a couple of things off in the tutorial:

• "Trying to move waypoints before creating a flight will result in errors and the editor shutting down"  Could you check to see if this is still happening for you?  If so, it is a bug and should be fixed and any steps you took to reproduce this will go a long way in helping me to stop it happening.
  • Bomber flights should have the Can Dogfight box unchecked.  However, they need to have any segment where they are defending themselves set to either ATTACK or DROP_ORD.   Again, if they are not shooting back during these segments it is a bug and needs to be addressed.
  • Fill Segment to End and Calculate should be done initially on all non-defaulted segments is true.  But now if you Move Waypoints it's done automatically for you.  But it doesn't always need to be done.  For instance, if you want to shout out instructions over the radio you could set up a waypoint that take 6 minutes to traverse.  You could then subdivide that waypoint into 3 segments and attach the voice file as an event to the start of each segment. "Sky's clear, Capt'n" . . . "Bogies at 10 o'clock" . . . "Follow my lead"  In this case you don't want to Fill Segment to End.

Please understand I'm not disparaging your work but I need to step in for the cases I've listed.  If you have any questions about how things are working, the way they're supposed to work, or how they're eventually envisioned to work don't hesitate to PM me.

Remember the ME is in beta.  You've done good work so far but don't put too much effort into documenting a tool that is in its infancy.  Lots of maintenance work on that path.

- Sudz

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »
Sudz,
Did a quick test and moved a couple of waypoints before adding a flight and everything worked fine.

For the test I just had waypoints, no segments.

hope that helps,
Baumer
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 10:30:04 AM »
Hey dkff49,

I appreciate your work in trying to make the tutorial more relevant, but there are a couple of things off in the tutorial:

• "Trying to move waypoints before creating a flight will result in errors and the editor shutting down"  Could you check to see if this is still happening for you?  If so, it is a bug and should be fixed and any steps you took to reproduce this will go a long way in helping me to stop it happening.
  • Bomber flights should have the Can Dogfight box unchecked.  However, they need to have any segment where they are defending themselves set to either ATTACK or DROP_ORD.   Again, if they are not shooting back during these segments it is a bug and needs to be addressed.
  • Fill Segment to End and Calculate should be done initially on all non-defaulted segments is true.  But now if you Move Waypoints it's done automatically for you.  But it doesn't always need to be done.  For instance, if you want to shout out instructions over the radio you could set up a waypoint that take 6 minutes to traverse.  You could then subdivide that waypoint into 3 segments and attach the voice file as an event to the start of each segment. "Sky's clear, Capt'n" . . . "Bogies at 10 o'clock" . . . "Follow my lead"  In this case you don't want to Fill Segment to End.

Please understand I'm not disparaging your work but I need to step in for the cases I've listed.  If you have any questions about how things are working, the way they're supposed to work, or how they're eventually envisioned to work don't hesitate to PM me.

Remember the ME is in beta.  You've done good work so far but don't put too much effort into documenting a tool that is in its infancy.  Lots of maintenance work on that path.

- Sudz

Thanks for your input Sudz. I appreciate this greatly. I did this tutorial in about and hour while I had 2 things. lots of coffee in me (jitters and need to find something to do :O :lol) and time on my hands.

your first point though I have posted in mission editor forum as a possible bug. this is still happening to me and I think the difference between what I have and Baumerr is that I had created the segments then tried to move them. The reason I found this is because when using ME to create the landing segment it can make for some weird  waypoints and when trying to move them to make more realistic the error occurs if you don't have a flight created.
Your second one though I know we had problems with the original release. When we set bombers to attack but uncheck the can dogfight then the game would lock up and shutdown. I will re-test this though as I get time at work. Not sure if this was corrected with the last 2 patches.
Your third point though, When you use the ME to create a takeoff or landing it does not automatically fill to end or calculate segment and this causes the planes to do strange things until you do it manually. I wondered why the fill to end and calculate was there before. What you said makes sense now. However I have not had a chance to use the more advanced features yet. This is the reason why I stated in the begining of the tutorial that this was made to give basics of making missions.

edit: I checked the bomber issue and now they do fire when in attack mode and can dogfight is not checked. I just new this was an issue before that would lock up game if you did that. Not sure though but if you have it set to drop ords then they do not fire at all. They only drop the ords. will correct tutorial when I get home
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:06:45 AM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 02:51:13 PM »
Thanks I reinstalled the microsoft word viewer and it works great. Nice tutorial :D :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »
thnx man glad you could get it to work
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »
So do we have a updated tutorial?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »
here is the most up to date tutorial from the one that I made.

http://files.filefront.com/ME+tutorialdoc/;10065225;/fileinfo.html
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 09:22:08 PM »
here is the most up to date tutorial from the one that I made.

http://files.filefront.com/ME+tutorialdoc/;10065225;/fileinfo.html
Added to my site. :D
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 09:30:18 PM »
 :aok awesome  :aok

Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave