Author Topic: General Gun Discussion  (Read 14612 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
General Gun Discussion
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:18:38 AM »
Been traveling a bit and haven't been able to keep up, hope this isn't a repeat, but thought it was worth posting.

Despite the fact there are more than 200 million guns in circulation, there is a certain tranquility and civility about American life.

Got to wonder if there was some BBC top level teeth gnashing at this story being filed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7359513.stm

Is there a risk in a misconceived stereotype being disproved?

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: General Gun Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »
Really if you get the heck out of the larger cities most people are pretty laid back. I live 100 miles from chicago and you can definately tell a difference in peoples attitudes here from those in chicago.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »
That has got to be one of the shortest, yet most interesting articles I've read in a long time.  I'm a UK/USA dual national, and whilst I have noticed that laid-back attitude in smaller towns in the USA, I'd never thought about it in those terms.

However, I'm not sure to what extent the relaxed attitude I just mentioned is due to (if it is at all) gun control (or the lack of it).

Thanks for posting that.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 09:28:54 AM »
Living in a big city really allows the aholes to revel in their aholeness...  Why be polite to someone you will never see again right?  Problem is.. they take it wherever they go...

worse.. they vote.   Fearful nanny aholes.. and they vote...   

lazs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »
I'm surprised it was published. The author is probably fired by now and I suspect Beet will have his job shortly.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »
Is there a risk in a misconceived stereotype being disproved?

I believe the writer went overboard and discredited his own story with the London violence thingie.
We all know and have been told repeatedly by an insider that there is no violence there to speak of.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

storch

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:06:10 AM »
"an armed society is a polite society, manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life"

robert a heinlein

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »
Lmao, no violence in London?

Errr, not quite right - even the Home Secretary (who is supposed to be in charge of the security etc in the country) walks around with a stab vest on (in her own constituency). There are a lot of places that its just not safe to walk around at, any time of the day. Gun crime does happen (young kids etc - up to the "older" generation)

Having travelled a lot between the States and the UK, I much prefer the States - hence an ongoing plan to leave this country, and emigrate (legally - yes, i had to put that in just in case).

I love my country, but fear this government (if you can call it that) and the affects of the ongoing social engineering policies in place.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 11:11:51 AM »
gp.. every exbrit I know here.. and there are a lot...seems to have firearms.   I was talking to one the other day at the barbers.   He winked and told me that he loves to tweak friends and family from the old country when they hear.. or see.. that he has firearms.. especially the handguns.

lazs

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 11:54:23 AM »
Lol, sounds about right Laz - the culture over here is (mostly) vehemently opposed to the private holding of firearms (handguns etc banned). Its not dramatically reduced the amount of gun crime (and to be honest, were I minded to, I could walk into a few of the local pubs and buy one anyway).

Once moved over, it would depend on the location of where I lived - if the police had a good response time, probably wouldnt buy one, but if we move to a more remote location where the police cant get to in a reasonable amount of time - nothing on earth will stop me procuring a personal weapon - legally of course.

Obviously, if I get the chance to hunt, I'll be buying a long - calibre and size dependent on prey (barrett 50 not so good for rabbit hunting - not much left to eat..lol)

Wurzel

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 12:04:01 PM »
Lol, sounds about right Laz - the culture over here is (mostly) vehemently opposed to the private holding of firearms (handguns etc banned). Its not dramatically reduced the amount of gun crime (and to be honest, were I minded to, I could walk into a few of the local pubs and buy on
Wasn't it Nashwan or Cpxxx that was saying you couldn't get your hands on a gun in the UK without a lot of work?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 12:15:35 PM »
Legally Moot, its a major hassle to procure a private firearm in the UK.

Handguns - banned

Shotguns - you need a valid reason, lockable storage and a police check before even being considered for a shotgun certificate.

Air Rifle - If the airrifle is below 12 ft/lbs - you can own as many as you like - but you are very very restricted on where you can shoot them (legally - we have a lot of air rifle shooters that dont care about where and when - which destroys the sport for the reponsible guys - which I admit really annoys me)

If the airrifle is above 12 ft/lbs, you need a firearms certificate - with the same bits n bobs as outlined for the shotguns.

If you want a "real" rifle - you need a firearms certificate, a good reason and very deep pockets - it can be done, but its restricted.

We've had too many moron's commiting horrendous acts (which could have been stopped by the application of the various rules etc regarding ownership) for the nanny state. So, instead of applying the rules that were there in the first place, its ban, ban, ban now. Typical knee jerk reaction for this and previous governments (which in my opinion could have been avoided by people doing their jobs - ho hum)

Wurzel

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 12:27:57 PM »
I meant including thru illegal channels.. I think it was Lazs that told them he could either go over there and easily get his hands on one, or that it was easy enough for someone to smuggle a gun into the country. That the ban was effectively only disarming lawful owners.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 12:32:19 PM »
Legally Moot, its a major hassle to procure a private firearm in the UK.
LEGALLY procure would have been more accurate. That's the problem with liberal governments--they always assume a law actually PREVENTS people from doing something---if killing someone doesn't give you pause, I'm guessing owning an illegal firearm doesn't either

<edit--dang--Moot rather covered this :D>
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:33:56 PM by bj229r »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 12:49:10 PM »
what I said was that I could get a gun in a week if I were dropped off in any place in england.. I also said that I could make a concealable and deadly firearm in an afternoon in the garage over there.

GP seems to be confirming what I said.

lazs