Author Topic: LESS HAZE  (Read 477 times)

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
LESS HAZE
« on: April 25, 2008, 01:47:04 PM »
Maybe it's just me but it seems like the haze in the arena never goes away, especially if your in a carrier or battle ship trying to zoom in on a target.  I would like to see less haze please. :salute
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline DPQ5

• Nickel Member
Re: LESS HAZE
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 02:58:58 PM »
well like in real life if u look far off its not going 2 be a crystal clear veiw, and do see have at far distance in real life, and aceshigh trys 2 simulate that as much as possible
29th Infantry Division
Darkest Hour Realism Unit
King Company
Sgt. Phillips

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 03:02:39 PM »
Maybe it's just me but it seems like the haze in the arena never goes away, especially if your in a carrier or battle ship trying to zoom in on a target.  I would like to see less haze please. :salute

It was one of the funnest JABO sorties ever. Lift off the carrier in a Hellcat, climbing wepped up, right into a cloudbank right over the Vbase we were attacking.  I dove and could not get a positive view on my target.  Got a slight glimpse, dipped the nose a bit more, and nailed the VH.  A big hoot!  Anyway, is it bothersome in computer usage, or just having the haze present?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Swatch

• Copper Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/rtcircus
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »

... and people wonder what kind of users don't like the weather....

Look, I know its frustrating from time to time to have haze break up your mission or make you lose a kill, but that's part of realism... there's always gonna be more planes and targets.

Now....there is one thing that comes to mind about your post, and the comment about the battleship/carrier makes me think we're misunderstanding your post (or at least that I did on first view).  If you're talking about the haze at the horizon where you don't have very good contrast between ground, sky, targets, etc.  Then I agree with you to a point.  The biggest problem with this is that in real life, overhead clouds will create better lighting conditions than clear skies.  This sounds crazy you say!  Try it sometime.  On a perfectly clear, humid day, you will have an extreme amount of haze on the horizon, ala current Aces High.  But if you look on a partly cloudy day (and therefore likely less humid) you'll see crisp horizons with the sunlight coming around the clouds creating amazing contrast at a distance.  It's really quite beautiful.  I'm all for this effect being implemented because it means we get real weather.  Admittedly this means we get all the bad weather that comes with the good, but I WANT IT!

So what I'm trying to say is, could you clarify what your request is?
OFFICIALLY AN AEROSPACE ENGINEER AS OF 1PM JUNE 13th!  Goodbye UC, you've been hell.

Proud member of the 364th CHawks, 383rd BG, formerly the RTC.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 05:54:57 PM »
I don't think you can simulate clear, unlimited visibility in a flight game or simulation. Blurring or haze is used to balance reasonable performance and visibility without having to render so much.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:41:44 AM »
I remember when HTC was working on putting haze in.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 04:00:33 AM »
If you think our haze is bad, try running X-Plane on a low end machine. You haven't seen anything until you've experienced the Fog of Meyers :lol
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:33:51 AM »
Well I'am not talking about cloud banks or eliminating haze, I was just saying that it seems a little more prevalent than in real life. :salute 
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 08:43:40 AM »
I think the haze is about average for what I've seen IRL flight if that's any consolation :)
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »
    I'm generally pleased with the atmospheric effects in AH.  It is a factor, but not a major factor.  In the hundreds of missions i've flown, (mostly in bombers), only twice have i had to abort a bomb drop because a target was "completely" obscured.  A couple of times landing strips were fogged in, and a second approach was necessary in order to line up on the runway.  That's ouuta maybe 300 sorties.

Miserable visibility that interfers with the game is pretty rare and always local.  If you don't like the weather in one sector, just fly into a different sector.  In fact, i believe MORE weather (even effecting multiple sectors) would be more realistic.  Not all the time, but it would inject an interesting twist in the game.  Any student of military history knows what a major role weather played in many engagements.  Air, Naval and armored battles were at times decided more by the weather, than the balance of forces.