Author Topic: External Views in the MA?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: External Views in the MA?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2008, 05:47:18 AM »

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2008, 05:52:27 AM »
LOL Arlo, we do have P38's after all :t
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 10:27:41 AM »
   External views for fighters (with a few exceptions) would be totally realistic.  The idea a pilot in combat is only "aware" of what can be seen from his cockpit, is total nonsense.  The advent of radios in airplanes eliminated this problem.  If you can be seen by other friendlies, you would know what the enemy is doing.  Especially how the enemy is maneuvering against you.

However.  Most AH pilots are playing a video game, instead of trying to create a military airwar simulation.  They freqeuntly neglect to share information or give timely warnings to other planes on their side.   How many times have you heard someone complain about only getting a "Check 6" warning, after their plane is in flames ?Is this a realistic simulation of air combat in the real world ?  No. It is not.

I can only think of a few exceptions. Some pilots do fly and hunt alone. The "Lone Wolf" scenario. Damaged planes sometimes fall behind or are seperated from friendlies.  Planes out of ammo fly away.  Radios are sometimes "shot out".  Simply put, if you are close enough to friendlies to be seen, and your radio equipment is undamaged...  You should have EXTERNAL VIEW.   Suddenly all the personalities and incompetancy of the VIDEO GAME culture are eliminated, And the game becomes more REALISTIC.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
I'm going with no on this one.  It's a crutch you learned with, like people zooming for a guns solution or flying a plane with tons of ammo so you can walk your bullets over the target instead of learning to shoot properly.

Just suck it up and you'll be a better pilot for it.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Online thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »
I say no as well to external views. Even the actual pilots of these WW2 birds probably cussed about obstructed views in thier planes, and HTC seems to have kept that element in AH quite well. It's just part of the experience.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »
   External views for fighters (with a few exceptions) would be totally realistic.  The idea a pilot in combat is only "aware" of what can be seen from his cockpit, is total nonsense.  The advent of radios in airplanes eliminated this problem.  If you can be seen by other friendlies, you would know what the enemy is doing.  Especially how the enemy is maneuvering against you.

However.  Most AH pilots are playing a video game, instead of trying to create a military airwar simulation.  They freqeuntly neglect to share information or give timely warnings to other planes on their side.   How many times have you heard someone complain about only getting a "Check 6" warning, after their plane is in flames ?Is this a realistic simulation of air combat in the real world ?  No. It is not.

I can only think of a few exceptions. Some pilots do fly and hunt alone. The "Lone Wolf" scenario. Damaged planes sometimes fall behind or are seperated from friendlies.  Planes out of ammo fly away.  Radios are sometimes "shot out".  Simply put, if you are close enough to friendlies to be seen, and your radio equipment is undamaged...  You should have EXTERNAL VIEW.   Suddenly all the personalities and incompetancy of the VIDEO GAME culture are eliminated, And the game becomes more REALISTIC.

I'm allmost speechless is this a troll? I pictured Dick Bong standing on his aircraft behind the canopy with a joystick and throttle in his hands fighting Zero's.  My brain went numb I think I allmost passed out from laughing so hard.

F3 in the MA for fighters is the wickedess most gamey pathetic thing anyones ever suggested.  There was a glich in AW way back when where you could turn off or disable certain views that made it seem like you were flying on a 2 x 4.  F3 amounts to the same thing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO NNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVV VVVVVVEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR.

PS HT I'll double my subscription amount if you promise to never do this. 
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 07:50:12 PM »
I realize I'm probably irritating more than my share of purists, but I would sure love to have external views in fighters in the main. I apologize if anyone is offended by this suggestion, but I pay my 15 bucks too, and would love to play in the main arenas with this view. I came up in 8-player, and just have more fun with externals. I'm in the DA mostly, but I like the main as well.

Anyways, not trying to ruffle feathers, but I figured I'd voice my opinion.

DD

No.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 08:06:19 PM »
There is no unfair advantage to externals, and that is proven everytime I get shot down in the DA by someone using internal views only.

There is an unfair advantage, and the reason why someone using internal views can whip your arse in the DA while using external views is because you're not very good.  You won't get better either by relying on crutches like external views.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
No F3 in MA, theres shouldn't even be F3 in the DA. IMO
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »
Wouldn't it be a hoot if this wish thread backfired?

Yeah.  ;)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 09:57:02 PM »
"You have two left. Don't embarrass yourself."

:lol

No way to external views. AH has a great view system. Use it.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 12:47:09 AM »
External view IS enabled for fighters in the MA... on the ground and you can retain that ability if you don't take off.

AHs view system is one of the most friendly to view areas behind obstructions in a virtual aircraft, in my opinion and left alone.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!