Author Topic: Arena Etiquette (Do's and Don'ts)  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena Etiquette (Do's and Don'ts)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 11:49:13 AM »
Dont steal kills. Being in a huge furball is one thing but when you see a 1 on 1, where the guy on your side has spent time beating down an opponent and is closing into a kill shot on his "6"? Let it go, at most comm him and see if he needs help. It happened to me again yesterday. I flew well against a 190 and had him helpless and flattened out. I closed to 200 yrds and as I was touching off I see tracers coming from over my shoulder. This was no noob but some "highly ranked" nitwit who would probably step on his own momma to steal a kill.

Another one is dont shoot at cons that are already shot up and are spinning down or on fire. Pinging the plane then robs the guy who worked for the kill, of the kill. The most he would get is an assist. Even the kill stealer's dont usually do this.

Another is be careful shooting at GVs if your armed with guns that really cant kill the thing. Most of all if you have your own GV's working against them. Again your just causing slight damage and ruining the chances of the guys who are on the ground, or even heavily armed planes, of getting the kill.

You can go the "never HO" route but the odds are the other guy wont. Your best off HO'ing him first and then coming on the forum and saying you "never HO", or, "HO only a little". :lol

Only a moron would intentionally ram. I think AH should ban people that do it intentionally. If I ram by mistake I apologize in the comms. Really, it doesnt kill you to do so.

Personally I cant stand the snivelers who are always crying that nobody gave them a "check 6" call. Everyone else is busy saving their own skin and the truth is you cant always see, or react fast enough, to give the check 6. The bottom line is were all responsible for our own arses out there. I would never intentionally fail to give a check 6 to a fellow rook, I dont care if I didn't like him or not. But others cant see everything all the time and Ive seen/heard grown men scream on the comms about it and leave in a huff.

The other day I had a goon IB to a town for capture. There were two other goons already in the area so I backed off and let one of them drop before I did, giving them the capture. They were there before me, had circled and waited for the town to go down, and in my eyes deserved the capture more then I did.

Its the little things dude. The little things.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 08:37:09 AM »
Some other advice:

Learn to be thick skinned.  Don't take anything personal.  This is a game and when you die, you get a shiny new plane. 
Learn from your mistakes.  Ask questions, but in the right context.  Don't go to the Main Arena and ask somebody to help you with lowering your landing gear. 
Go to the training arena (TA) and ask those questions. 
Do your homework.  Go to Hammer's web page: http://www.netaces.org  Read, Read, Read.  Taken notes and print things out!
Ask the help of a trainer.  They have years of experience and they are the best at having patience with new players!

One last thing.......Welcome to your new addiction!

Have fun and hope to see you up there.
Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Nisky

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 01:40:54 PM »
I go by the rule treat others how you want to be treated. Yes im human and i get frustrated sometimes, but in the end this is a game and i play it to have fun.
just talk about random stuff but please stay on topic

Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 07:59:34 AM »
I go by the rule treat others how you want to be treated. Yes im human and i get frustrated sometimes, but in the end this is a game and i play it to have fun.

I agree.

I try to remember one thing when I'm playing Aces High. It is a game and I play this game to have fun. Aces High is a lot more fun if the players around you are happy to be around you. Chest-thumping and other such nonsense will not get you anywhere with anyone.

Taking the time and making the effort to be a 'respected' member of the community is worth it in my opinion. I know that I can jump over to any country and say hello and be met with warm greetings by the majority.

This all comes about by treating others with respect and steering clear of playing in a way that will deliberately ruin another's fun.

As Nisky said... your safest bet is to conduct yourself in a way that will bring you and those around you maximum enjoyment. That's all AH is, after all, an outlet for enjoyment.

:salute
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 10:39:28 PM »
I'm reminded of the words of John Walter Wayland

"The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe"

But that's just me.  I play(ed) by my own rules, ethics, and code, and could look in the mirror in the morning and see someone that I hoped that the community respected. Most did I think. Some didn't I know.  *shrug*

It's the cyber world where a cavern chested toothpick can be an uber killer and a hard bodied prettythang kicker can be a total scrub.  I guess it depends on the character of people you want to associate with.  Because, online, character really shows whether you realize it or not.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 11:20:55 PM »
It's the cyber world where a cavern chested toothpick can be an uber killer

Hope for me yet! 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder