Author Topic: Lt Rakov's La-5FN  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Lt Rakov's La-5FN
« on: August 13, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »
I picked this scheme because it was a bit unusual with its yellow bordered stars and tactical number. There's also a fairly good photo of the aircraft with Lt Rakov standing beside it. However there is no information about which squadron he flew for. I'm guessing 9 GIAP as their aircraft had the arrow marking down the side. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Lt Rakov's La-5FN
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »
i'm sure tilt the talking lavochkin encyclopedia will be along shortly.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »
Greebo has the same books I have............

Probably with the exception of Stalins Eagles

The arrow signifies that the ac was serving in a regiment which flew On the North Western front such as  303IAD  (fighter air division)  during and after Bagration Taking it from belo Russia thru Lithuania, Eastern Prussia. and Pomerania.

9GIAP never flew La5's. (Although some of its aces flew them whilst in other regiments e.g Alelyukhin)  9GIAP latterly flew the La7     

Indeed 303IAD in early 44 mainly consisted of regiments of Yaks and P39's  (such as Normandie Niemen & 9GIAP) (not to be confused with 9GIAD)

229IAD did have some La5fn regiments in operation in East Prussia  but I cannot find any Lt Rakov listed.

Interestingly it is an La5Fn and we do know it existed.....which makes it more accurate than an la5FN clad in an la5F skin :rolleyes:

and besides its (yellow 8's) colour pallet will be the same as Popkovs Yellow 01 which i shall unashamedly steal in order to render my favourite La5FN
Ludere Vincere

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:00:39 AM »
Thanks Tilt, you are right, I've not got Stalin's Eagles. I do have the relevant Squadron and Osprey books, a Czech book on the La-5FN and Erik Pilawski's book on VVS colours. Most of the colours on the skin are from Simmer's paintshop, but I just visually matched the yellow to the profile.

I wasn't aware the arrow was a theater wide thing. Not sure what to put in the description file now.

There is a lot of debate on modelling websites about VVS colour schemes. I read a long thread on whether the Popkov La-5FN's number was yellow, silver or very faded white for instance. The Rakov aircraft could have the same issues as well I suppose.

As for the La-5F I think the green scheme makes an interesting change to the two tone grey scheme all La-5FNs were painted in and the outline is virtually identical. Might be useful for scenarios too. Now if only I could find a photo of a whitewashed one in squadron colours.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 05:12:35 AM »
Yes yellow 8 is in the czech book pages 79 & 81.

On a further note I believe Greebo sought to qualify his choice of colours for his original rendering of colours on the default La5FN. At the time  they seemed very pale in comparison to the two tone greys we were so used to seeing being rendered in AH in the past and "elsewhere".

below is a Yak3 flying at Duxford this year which has the lighter AMT colour used by the VVS during that period.(as per Pilawski's book)  In my opinion Greebo has hit this colour smack on............ indeed there is an arguement that the darker grey/olive is still too dark.

These colours were in use by both La7's and La5FN's until the end of the GPW and indeed some La5fn's and La7's (like Kozhedub's La5FN white 14 and later La7 white 27) were mono coloured as per the yak below albeit with some script (in the case of White 14) or red nose (per white 27).

Ludere Vincere

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 05:58:12 AM »
I was impudently suggesting that although you do not know the exact regiment you could narrow the division down to 229IAD as being the only other division fully committed to Bagration with 303IAD during late summer of 44.

I note AH has sometimes accepted VVS division references possibly thinking them to be squadrons. (Classic confusion between 9GIAD {Polrishkins Division} and 9GIAP {Alelyukhins Regiment} both of which similarly transitioned from P39's to La7's)

Further impudence was to comment that infact your skin yellow 8 has more credibility than the other rendition. (And I do understand the reasoning)

There were two Rakovs of repute in the "Air army" .

Pilot Rakov died in the Manchurian war and could never be the fellow in the Picture.

Lt Col Vasiliy I. Rakov  was incharge of a Pe2 Regiment 12 GvBap July 44 and is credited with many attacks on German/ Finnish naval positions in the Baltic. Rakov was awarded his 2nd HSU for his part in the "sinking" of the Niobe (German flak ship confussed with Finnish battleship). Our fear is that he would have been much publicized and could have had his picture taken infront of other folks aircraft.

I think this is him

Stop press!

Just found this

6IAP [18GV.IAP 07/03/42] LA-5 /04/44 TULA 303 IAD 1AA

and this

523 IAP   LA-5 1943-44   303 IAD     

http://www.samolet.co.uk/rregs.html here

So we know of at least 2 Regiments of La5's serving in 44 within 303IAD that would have then borne the lightening bolt.

edit now this page puts 18GIAP in Yak3's   :mad:    http://avia-hobby.ru/publ/soviaps/giap_1.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 06:22:45 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 06:04:51 AM »
There is a lot of debate on modelling websites about VVS colour schemes. I read a long thread on whether the Popkov La-5FN's number was yellow, silver or very faded white for instance.

Stalins Eagles has a forward from Popkov (and incidently Gunther Rall)and credits some of its research to him. It includes the usual picture of Popkov infront of his La5FN with number and star surround a "different" colour to his Leader stripes. But more interestingly the colour plate at the back shows the number to be yellow and the text in the book and on the colour plate refers to yellow 01.

I tend to believe that Popkov knew his own colour scheme!
Ludere Vincere

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 03:20:09 PM »
Yellow numbers seem favourite to me too looking at Popkov's photo. VVS skins are a bit of a minefield though, aren't they? :)

The caption in the Czech book lists him as Lt. P. Rakov in summer 1944, so I guess it is not Vasily. Having it narrowed down to a couple of divisions is a big help though, thanks Tilt.