Author Topic: Spawns  (Read 401 times)

Offline hapstur

• Zinc Member
Spawns
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:02:06 AM »
 I just logged off of aces pretty upset...i drove over half an hour from a spawn to a base that takes roughly 7 mins to reach by plane.This is way wrong..there are several maps where the spawns are not too bad.But for the most part they suck!!It should not take that long to get to an enemy base via ground...you drive for a lonngggg time ..only to get bmbd before u reach the base...there are some spawns that no one uses becuase they are such a long drive.this is frustrating to everyone...especially those who prefer gv'ing.
 A second thing that needs to change are the shore batteries..they should be like the task group where rank determines cntrl.Enemies switch countries and sit in sb and dont shoot while thier cv rapes us.
  thats my 2 cents

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Spawns
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:15:31 AM »
TT map, A9-A10 gv spawn = longest gv ride in AHII history!  :O

I think the spawn points for gvs are pretty good. Some are longer than others but if they were changed then every map would have to be redone (I believe), which takes away time from CT.

As for the SB, there should be atleast the players name above it so you know who is in it.

Offline hapstur

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »
True about re-doing the map...that would take some time...i just hope that on future maps they take the spawn length into more consideration. :)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
I'm not dissatisfied with the spawn locations/drives ~ mostly because I've got a whole bunch of kids in the house. I have the luxury of being able to say "hey, want to drive me to the base? Kill anything that gets in front of you," and they'll gladly do it.  Or I can do dishes/laundry on the drive (if a hill or tree doesn't stop me).

But the SB ~ man, the SB piece sucks.  I went to film last time some putzwad sat in the SB while our base was getting slammed. I didn't up in time to record it. He towered out (or auto-towered) with his kills before I recorded.  So it's not just enemy's that sit in the SB, it's your own guys, too... who sit in it afk & rack up proxi kills. Putzwads.

A name above the guns would be enough to run those putzwads through the reamer a few times when they do crap like that.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline panzerr

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
The same holds true for the manned field guns.  Last night our vh was down, and enemy Panzers were positioning themselves to camp the vh.  Whoever was in the field gun let them take their positions, when they could have easily killed them.  Having their name above the field gun makes sense too.

As for the drive time from the spawns, I agree wholeheartedly.  Some of them are way too long, and I have spent several nights doing nothing more than driving.

I know it's called 'Aces High' for a reason, but there are some of us that prefer GVing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:03:25 AM by panzerr »
Total aggravation since Tour 48...
Panzerr in game.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »
i drove over half an hour from a spawn to a base that takes roughly 7 mins to reach by plane.you drive for a lonngggg time...

..only to get bmbd before u reach the base...

I don't GV much, but if it takes a short time to reach the base by plane, then bring it heavy and pork the ord. Then you won't have to worry about getting bombed out of your tank.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline hapstur

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »
Getting bmbed or not wasnt my point...just that the spawns are very long

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »
I'm not dissatisfied with the spawn locations/drives ~ mostly because I've got a whole bunch of kids in the house. I have the luxury of being able to say "hey, want to drive me to the base? Kill anything that gets in front of you," and they'll gladly do it. 

:lol

OT, I think it's up the map creators to determine spawn placement and driving distance, but I believe the original concept is that spawn placement should allow gvs to get to a particular area at roughly the same time as aircraft could fly there. In places, that only seems to be true if the vehicle is a Jeep and the plane in question is a B5N.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
:lol

OT, I think it's up the map creators to determine spawn placement and driving distance, but I believe the original concept is that spawn placement should allow gvs to get to a particular area at roughly the same time as aircraft could fly there. In places, that only seems to be true if the vehicle is a Jeep and the plane in question is a B5N.

As someone who's been working on developing a map (and tools to ease mapmaking) let me point out a few facts pertinent to this conversation that's been greatly complicating the process of placing spawns.  As mentioned, the intent is to make the transit times similar to that of aircraft.  One problem though is that the slowest and fastest aircraft vary much less than the slowest and fastest GV's at cruise and climb. But wait!  There's more! GV's are ALSO affected at greatly deviating amounts by the actual slope of the terrain.  This makes it incredibly difficult for the map maker to ensure a reasonable transit time in all GV's - some slow down to a 5 mph crawl on a slope that others blast over at 30 MPH.

Just pointing out that the shortcomings you see aren't necessarily intentional - and that fixing them may not even be possible without trading away variations in the terrain.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline hapstur

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 08:17:46 AM »
True enough.I realize it was not an intentional thing..and i also realize that hitech and crew do everything possible to keep the numbers happy.It is just something that has been in the back of my head for some time.Not much can be done about it ,this i know.At the time i wrote it I was quite upset...lol (whats new)...lol.However the shore battery item is changeable.And i hope that Santatech grants me that wish :).