Author Topic: 8800GT  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Re: 8800GT
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 05:09:23 AM »
I'm running a game on Vista which peaks the memory usage at 1.9Gb all the time and occasionally swaps heavily causing considerable (1-10sec) warps. The game and Vista are on two different disks to speed up the disk operations and it did help a bit. I have SP1 installed but it does not seem to diminish the Vista's memory usage so that it would help the situation.

All other games work very well with 2Gb memory I have.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 08:20:29 AM »
I'm running a game on Vista which peaks the memory usage at 1.9Gb all the time and occasionally swaps heavily causing considerable (1-10sec) warps. The game and Vista are on two different disks to speed up the disk operations and it did help a bit. I have SP1 installed but it does not seem to diminish the Vista's memory usage so that it would help the situation.

All other games work very well with 2Gb memory I have.

-C+

I had that 'swap' happen to me also. Turns out it was the graphics driver crashing and restarting, not swapping. Superfetch will keep your Vista ram full at all times it's no indication that you actually need more ram. It's an indication you should switch to another operating system though.  :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 08:35:36 AM »
Superfetch was one of the first processes I disabled after installing Vista...

Following Skuzzy's guidelines you can actually get a rather "lean" Vista which works OK with games.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline 1Canukk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 10:33:37 AM »
Just recently installed  an 8800 GT , GREAT CARD, you can over clock it with ease and also controle the fan on the card it self.. Depending on your system My son run Hell Gate London with no issue and smooth.. From what Ive read on Bench test they did.. it came in 1st or second on most test  even when compared to the more expensive cards like the 8800GTS  cars.. so plug in and have a great time... :aok

JG11  Sonderstaffel , Geschwader Kommodore

The P51 D was made by the Gods for men to fly. 
 The FW190 D  was made by men, for Gods to fly .

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
Superfetch was one of the first processes I disabled after installing Vista...

Following Skuzzy's guidelines you can actually get a rather "lean" Vista which works OK with games.

-C+

I've always been interested to see how 'lean' is Vista basic. It should come pretty minimal.. But then again if you go Vista basic you might aswell get a real XP with no Vista problems. Vista is simply unnecessary.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 02:54:53 PM »
just because it's packaged with less goodies doesn't mean it's got any less junk running by default.

The "lighter" versions don't have any less code bloat, IMO. My sister's had a couple of different laptops that have run Vista, and I tried to pare it down, and it was still a mess. They weren't the high end Vista, probably one of the lowest end versions.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 03:00:14 PM »
just because it's packaged with less goodies doesn't mean it's got any less junk running by default.

The "lighter" versions don't have any less code bloat, IMO. My sister's had a couple of different laptops that have run Vista, and I tried to pare it down, and it was still a mess. They weren't the high end Vista, probably one of the lowest end versions.

Vista basic doesn't have aero and that alone is a big step in the right direction.

Offline araiguma

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »
I just upgraded from Nvidia 7950 SLI to Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512mb in SLI and while in game the new cards start locking up or just booting me out.  I originally loaded the display driver that was at the evga webiste but now have loaded the Nvidia drivers.  Anyone else having issues with the 8800GT card in game?

I'm running on XP PRO
Intel core (TM) 2 CPU X6800 @2.93GhZ (2 CPU's)
2048MB RAM
Directx 9.0c (4.09.0000.0094)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 09:28:33 PM »
I concur with your assessment of EVGA. They denied me the step-up program saying I was ONE day too late. The date/time stamp on my Newegg invoice had me under the wire by 6 hrs.
<--- 1st and last time EVGA customer.
Peep this one, you'll watermelon bricks.

Email to Evga:

"Hello Alex,

Back in May of 2006, I purchased a PC through "cyberpowerpc.com".   When I ordered it, I selected the 7800GT, they must have run out, so they without charge stepped me up to a 7900GT.   Over the last couple of months when I play Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising or Aces High, I get stretched terrain.   I have been told by many that this is a direct result of the heat sinks overheating.   This card has always been at the "Default Setting" of 500/750.   This is why I'm confused as to what is happening with this card. 

I have an X-Cruiser case with 2 80's in the front drawing in, an 80 on top, an 80 on the side and the rear with a 120 blowing out (I also added a PCI slot fan from an old PC).    My case is around 27C according to SpeedFan.    I was told about this program to manage my case fans, temps and have been very happy with it so
far. 

I spoke with someone just a few minutes ago, but my cell phone crapped out and was echoing on my end.   So I'm sure the T.S. person was getting annoyed.   But I figured I'd at least follow up and give him thanks for his assistance.   He told me to Register my product which I just did.   I didn't register it back in 2006, because I was unsure if Cyberpowerpc registered them or not. 

I currently have an AMD 3500+, XP Pro rig.   I already have an E8400 new in the box with a 750W PC & Cooling PS new in the box as well.   I am "updating" my rig and still need to get a Motherboard, Memory and I was looking into an 8800 or 9800 series card. 

My question is this.   Is there ANYTHING I could do to maybe get a "Credit" or something else, towards a new one?   I was looking into BFG cards but I figured that since I have been happy with Evga, I'd try and see if anything could be done."

Their reply?

"Jason as long as the card is registered on our website you can get an RMA started on the 7900 card to have it replaced as it sounds like it might be the RAM on the card haveing an issue, as for credit the only option we have is called the step-up program but unfortunatly its limited to 90days from the original date of purchase. if you ahve any further questions you can contact us at anytime.

Charles EVGA Tech Team"

Their Tech team can kiss the wide part of my arse.    I'm going BFG.   I'll NEVER recommend evga, NEVER.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC