Author Topic: Why do You fly what You fly??  (Read 3559 times)

TheWobble

Why do You fly what You fly??
« on: March 01, 2001, 01:20:00 AM »
most folks have a given fighter or bomber that they fly almost all the time, why?

why do you like THAT plane so much?

especally folks that fly "Non-dweeb planes" like the tiffie, yak, la5, p-38,

I personally almost always fly the 38, I know its not the best fighter per say, but for some reason ever since i tried it I have really enjoyed it and use it almost exclusivly now.

so why do YOU fly THAT plane??

EDIT: p.s. C-Hog and NIK flyers need not answer, we already know why  

[This message has been edited by TheWobble (edited 03-03-2001).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2001, 01:37:00 AM »
Santa will answer for a lot of us.. it involves :

"Sexier planes"
"underdog cannons"
"uber pilots"
"non-opportunistic ****..."
"Grey, not blue..."

------------------
MASS/SAW

click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer
"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..."

DISCLAIMER---> this Post always has a smilie !  

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-01-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2001, 01:44:00 AM »
I personally fly the -1D and F6F just cause they are blue!  Seriously, I like the PTO planes better than the ETO ones (just my opinion, not that they are better or worse).  I like the way the -1D handles when I am able to keep it fast.  The kitty just 'cause it is my fav plane from WW2 (kind of funny since my fav plane of all time is the Tomcat... must be something about Grumman fighters  )

I really don't look for performance issues concerning the planes.  The two Navy planes I fly tend to fit my style of fighting: some bnz, some tnb, and jabo.  They both carry a quality loadout and are the only lanes I can readily take ack out in (aside from the TBM).

-math

------------------
"Any American fighter near Orote Penninsula.  I have forty Jap planes surrounded and need a little help."
-Ens. W.B. "Spider" Webb during the Marians Turkey Shoot

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2001, 01:45:00 AM »
Lately, 109G6. Not sure why. I like its sleekness, and of course the built in 'LW coolness" factor.  

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2001, 01:48:00 AM »
I fly the tiffi because of the lack of an VVS ground pounding and because it look like an Beaufighter   (AK participant can grin  ) and it'as a good gun/bomb package.

The Yak : my child dream (ever heard of the Normandie Niemen ?) and I love killing guys glued to their 6 at <150 yard and she is beautiful the best looking plane of AH IMNHO.

It's not a problem of performance cause in wich case I will use a P51D or a G10 (and of course a Chog for furballing   )

+ what Saw said :
it's not blue it's not UberKanonnen machine it's not  point and shoot

Offline discod

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.millionaire.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2001, 01:58:00 AM »
True blue CHOG dweeb here!    Why?  Well the F4U has been my favorite plane of all time since baa baa Black Sheep came out on TV.  I used to love it when the whole squad was flying side-by-side and then they'd do those peel-offs one by one.

I don't fly the DHOG much cause I don't like the big yellow cowling and I definately prefer cannons.    They give me a fighting chance against a turn and burn plane...all I need is a snapshot!  he he he

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2001, 02:02:00 AM »
because it turns great! ... heuu.. no.
because it climbs good! ... heuu.. not really.
because it is fast! ....... heuu.. no.
because it out accelerate . heuu.. no.
because it outdive any1 ... heu... LOL.
because it compresses later heu... and so what?
because it got powerfull guns..... really?
because it's multirole .... no doubt, it's cool!

The P47 is a pain when you put it out his basic B&Z and run. I know, I know, you guys will say: "P47? Piece of cake..blahblhablah easy...blahblah killer... blahblah me me me".

Everytime I see a con I think :"ok... how can I manoeuver to get a kill here?". Flying an another plane is really relaxing for me. Not even talking about Nikis/Zekes/Spits where I feel unvulnerable. When flying those I just "fly in" and improvise after, looks so easy after a P47 cession (Not a whine).

So why do I fly the P47 if I keep complaining about his performances?

Because I love the shape of it. I keep looking at pictures of P47s, this huge "round" nose, the semi elleptical wings, the prominent cowl flaps, the turbocharger exits on the side, the bubble canopy. The think looks big, rugged.

The ultimate P47 is the one from Gabbriesky. I have drawings and pictures of it all over my bedroom. The camouflage with the tight green shades, the red nose, the red tail, the bubble canopy, the invasion stripes. Oh mama   I would kill to have it in AH, but I guess I'm screewed as the D25 was already made at the Brazilian colors. (Maybe Gabby had a D26 hehehe). Pyro!  

Fly a plane that you love. I mean not love because ur grand daddy flew it, or love because it is "the best" or "the biggest guns".

I'm talking about this "kid attitude" everytime you see one. Then if you trully love your plane, it will give it back to you well, going the "extra mile".  

------------------
Olivier "Frenchy" Raunier
"I hope it can dive, because it sure can't climb"

SFRT Aces High web page http://home.cfl.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm

SFRT pages http://www.sfrt.net

[This message has been edited by SFRT - Frenchy (edited 03-01-2001).]
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2001, 02:28:00 AM »
S!

I fly mainly LW planes,because they have been my favorites for a long time.They look mean and were technically ahead their time when entering service.Also the satisfaction, when U after a long practise master the plane,is unbelieveable.

------------------
DB603
3.Lentue
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2001, 02:44:00 AM »
Because of challenge and satisfaction from job well done.

------------------
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Peeradow

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2001, 02:49:00 AM »
I fly the 109 n i love it.
I got used to 109s since WB when i used to play alot of H2H flying 109s and got really used to it that today i just cant fly anything else.
Im learning to fly FWs but i really dont feel good flying it. Maybe with D9 and Ta152 it will change a bit.
Actualy flying G6 and using the 30mm only and praticing alot but my favourite model is the G10.
My plane config is: only 1x30mm for dogfight with some t&b and 3x20mm for b&z.
I think 109 is beautiful and is one of the most challenging planes to fly coz u cant run from most enemies. If u engage u must kill it, or die.
Flying 109 means teamwork and its the best
thing in a online WW2 sim.

Pirado

[This message has been edited by Peeradow (edited 03-01-2001).]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2001, 02:56:00 AM »
I fly the F4u-1d, the F6f5 mainly as fighters.  I've also been spotted in a c205, la5, tiffie, and p47d25.  I absolutely will not fly the n1k or f4u1c under any circumstances.  Ok, ok, I *might* decide to fly a 1c to get in a mission; but I'll never fly that green UFO.  

I fly the f4u1d because the corsair (the real one with 50 cal) has been a favorite plane of mine ever since I was very young.  It is an added bonus that the f4u is pretty fast, rolls very well, and carries a lot of ammo.  (I have poor aim and 50s take a lot to land a kill.)  The f6f5 is about the same way, but I only fly that for jabo anymore.  It seems a little better than the 1d for that.  (Climbs faster.)  The p47d25 is the same way, land based jabo.

Usually in the f4u1d I'll fly up to 14k or so and get to max speed.  I'll then look for another hog, spit, zero, f6f5, p47, or 109.  Any of those I know how to kill without any problem.  The zero can be killed with bnz and unless you turn they won't ever get you.  Spits can't roll, so you can get easy snapshots on them.  P47s turn pretty poorly so you can mix it up with them too.  F4us are at least a fair fight.  109s can't roll (and most can't turn) so you can get snapshots on them too.  If I see a p38, p51, or n1k above me, that's the time to get worried.  The p38 is usually flown by excellent pilots, so I'll usually try to fool them into thinking I'm a 1c by faking a HO.  You can then quickly turn into them as they pull for all their might to climb back up on the perch.  Thanks to the p38s compression deal though I can usually knock out at least a elevator or engine.  P51s are tough.  They can beat the 1d in nearly all areas when they have an E advantage.  Faking a Ho sometimes works on them, but usually they are insane enough to try it.    That's when I break off fast, because the 1d just doesn't have what it takes to HO like a pro.    I still haven't found an answer to the n1k though.  Usually I'll just refuse to engage.  Unfortunately the n1k can really dive (easily outdives f4u), but fortunately it can't roll and the f4u can barely pull away from it on the deck.  If I'm above an n1k I'll try a bnz pass or two, attempt a snapshot, and then extend away as soon as the n1k starts the usuall hang on prop and keep climbing trick.  I've had pretty good luck doing this.  Yaks are a tough one too.  If the yak can get close enough you aren't going to be able to lose it, but you can hope the other pilot can't aim.    La5s are another tough one if you are low.  The only advantage the hog might have vs an la5 is that the la5 gets hard to keep the nose down in at high speeds.  If you can dive under them they sometimes can't push the nose down far enough to get you.  You can then extend away slowly being sure to climb above 8k so their wep stops working.  F6f5s are fun to fight in the f4u.  They can outturn you at low speeds, but you hold a very large speed advantage.  Above 250 mph the f4u holds all the advantages except view.  I haven't fought many 190s this tour.  The ones I've fought have never been when I had ammo or gas, so I don't really know the best way to beat them.  They roll really well, so that eliminates one of the f4us big advantages.  I think if I could get them to turn they would lose though.  C47s are the hardest to kill.    Those things can toss drunks out at you!  They can also fly so slow that time seems to come to a standstill and then they can pelt you with empty kegs and/or beer cans.  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2001, 03:32:00 AM »
Aircraft choice and general AH issues aren't easily debated here by you wobbled.

Meaning, the MA is a whole different deal you freebies can't understand. Aircraft choice per the MA is completely different from a hoopty free HTH server.

As you capture, attack, and defend the bases, your aircraft choices differ, get it?

Please post in "free mutliplayer" where you belong. It's much easier.

Thanks.

tom666

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2001, 04:07:00 AM »

Originally posted by Creamo:
Aircraft choice and general AH issues aren't easily debated here by you wobbled.

Meaning, the MA is a whole different deal you freebies can't understand. Aircraft choice per the MA is completely different from a hoopty free HTH server.

As you capture, attack, and defend the bases, your aircraft choices differ, get it?

Please post in "free mutliplayer" where you belong. It's much easier.

Thanks.

And just what are your choices Creamo?
I`m sure I`m not the only one that are dying to find out,what planes You fly when nobody looks.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2001, 05:37:00 AM »
Ah, yet another elitist "I fly the REAL planes of AH" post.

Today is a new tour- Think I might only fly the F4U-1C and the N1K2-J exclusively on this tour. I dedicate myself to HO's and otherworldly ACM. I will chuckle every time someone yells dweeb, and take that as my que to drop down and strafe the chute.  

Why do I fly what I fly? To have fun!

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
The Spitfire.

The most beautifull plane ever made, and the plane that won the war.

(that'll stir 'em up)

Creamo, you're a dick. Just sayin'

------------------
The **MOL**