Author Topic: What does it take to be a "Good" CO?.......  (Read 412 times)

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
What does it take to be a "Good" CO?.......
« on: March 31, 2001, 06:21:00 PM »
....skill is nice, experience is very nice. IMO the key to being a good CO is homework. Now I not talking about reading the MOTD (Message of the Day) when you enter the SE area. I’m talking about reading the event write up before hand and flying the area off line. Knowing what checkpoints to select before you enter the event area. One other thing is to enter the area and be ready to setup a mission planner about 30 minutes before event time. Now for some added insurance, find a good XO to help answer questions from arriving pilots while you work on the planner or talk to the CM’s. Nothing worst than working on a mission planner and 20 guys asking the same types of questions.

The first time I was a CO, I was very lucky to have Wilbus to be the XO. Things went well but could have been better. The second time was a cakewalk.  

I guess the point I’m trying to make is I would rather follow a green CO who did his homework than a experienced CO that just walk in the area after spending 1 minute reading the MOTD. After you get that first mission under you belt, your well on your way.  

------------------
Ozark
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels
"I'm getting better!!! No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
What does it take to be a "Good" CO?.......
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
Great post OZark, whole heart agree with ya!

Missed this week-ends events due to computer upgrade, tweaking, etc. etc.  

Good thing is, a con is no longer 'safe' from me flying thru the smoke from his own field!