Author Topic: So how was Wild Wednesday?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
So how was Wild Wednesday?
« on: October 31, 2001, 10:21:00 PM »
I could only fly 2 round, but sure had a good time. 3 kills first round and an assist the 2nd.   :)

We had about 40 plus players... looks good I think. As I type this the logs will be closed in just a few minutes so I don't know who the winner will be.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2001, 10:45:00 PM »
I don't wanna spoil the surprise by sling on the winner and next weeks plane(Zigrat/109g10) but it was a blast.  I watched the fights in round 2 and flew in round three and got smoked by Zigrat quickly  :)
I would like to see twice the numbers next week.
Sling did a, well what would be expected outta FDB for his first solo event  :D  :D

JOB WELL DONE SLING!  :)
Awesome Event!!!

S!
Rocket

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2001, 10:45:00 PM »
Your winner for Week 1 of the Wild Wednesday is......<fanfare>....ZIGRAT.

It was a fun time for me and I hope the rest of you enjoyed it as well.  

Zigrat took round 1 and then was a hunted man in round 2 and wasnt able to pull it off.  However, his squadmate Pimpjoe won the 2nd round.  It came down to 3 guys left in round 3...Zigrat, Pimpjoe and Nuttz.

Nuttz was taken out by Pimpjoe and then the table was set....round 1 winner against round 2 winner and Zig pulled it off.

Congratulations Zigrat...you now have plane choice for next week's event.  Choose carefully....you may be a wanted man.   :)

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2001, 10:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by daddog:
I could only fly 2 round, but sure had a good time. .

It was a jolly good time.  Only one suggestion, a cap on the alt.  Even I was tempted to look at the purdy clouds.
  :D

Offline skipdallen

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2001, 11:25:00 PM »
I missed the Wild Wednesday.  I loved KOTH in AW.  

I hope you'll seek assistance from KOTH organizers to make Wild Wednesday it's best.  Or, at least, consider accepting assistance for a KOTH if it's offered.

Gooss

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2001, 11:45:00 PM »
I'm an idiot. I heard "dueling arena terrain" and I actually thought this was being held in the dueling arena. And I'm a CM.  :D Anyway, I rush home from work and get there with about 5 mins to spare. One other guy there. I head to the MA to ask if this got postponed or something and was met by a 5 minute terrain download. Finally sussed it but got to the SEA too late for round one.

In round two, Swulfe was looking at me all funny so I totally lost any sense of SA that I really cannot afford to lose in the first place... and I ended up getting shot down by someone else.

In the 3rd round... my POS comp decided to reboot (does that happen to anyone else?).

All this is really just to say that... had the above not occured - y'all woulda been dead... no contest.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2001, 11:58:00 PM »
I had a great time! One immeadiate overwhelming difference  to AW was the clouds, it brings a whole new level of tactics to KOTH (we had the light fluffy white type  :) ) Twice I spoiled AKseawolf's attacks by managing to escape into cloud, and BnZing Kool from the clouds, along with the hunt through the cotton puffs was tense! I think it also means that true LW jęger tactics and rides such as the later 109's are a really viable ride in this event.

I'd like to see a smaller arena one day - We used the "gladiator bowl" in the DA, which is perfect in shape and concept, but a little big - the fight was mainly three seperate furballs over each field - but that's one day.

An alt cap might be an idea eventually (may be the thicker type clouds could be used for this?), but no one seemed to abuse it tonight, which was nice. An AH CM can lock the fields, which prevents reupping, and no one did anything "gamey" spurious joint requests or manic "check 6"-ing from a chute (can these be turned off?) which was good to see.

It was a real good time! I won't make it every week, but I definately want more.

If Icons were a CM setting, an icon-less KOTH, hunting in and out of clouds is a slightly denser furball would be white knuckle in the extreme.

Thanks Sling!

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2001, 12:10:00 AM »
it was a blast. and next week if we have more numbers in there it will be even better. we used to do a little thing like this in H2H before i got my account. but it wasnt near as much fun as Wild Wednesday was. mainly for the lack of players and most thought that it was too much work for the host   :mad:  but hell i had fun anyway. this event is now my favorite one by far. i was in better fights than i've ever been in in MA. i still cant get over how much fun the fight between me and swoop was. i've watched the film probably 4 times so far and its only been over about 2 hours.

EXCELENT WORK SLING!!!  :)   :)   :) <S>

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: pimpjoe ]

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2001, 01:11:00 AM »
I appreciate the comments and the suggestions guys.  I am glad you all enjoyed it.  As far as icons, I dont think we can turn them off.  I believe all we can do is make the id range shorter (I think...still new to all this stuff.   ;))

As far as terrain goes....I think I heard somewhere that the terrain team is working up a map for us that will be more specialized and I am hoping to get an observation tower hanging in space in the middle of the arena so that those of you who are dead get a chance to watch whats still going on.  We had something similar in the Rumble terrain a while back.

I am sure the WW will continue to grow and while we may adopt some other ideas that are similar to the KOTH, I think its got its own separate identity.  For one thing, you dont get to be King very long....this event will be run every week.

I must say that I am glad nobody tried to take advantage of any of the rules and thanks for keeping it fair guys.  I would really not want to put an alt cap on it because then you open up a whole new can of worms.  There is no way to really prove how high a guy was unless you have his film and not everybody runs film.

Anyway, this got a little long-winded, but keep the suggestions and comments coming.  <S> all!!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2001, 09:53:00 AM »
that'd be me Nash. <S>  You just went level and I couldn't believe it!  I almost missed cuz it wasn't a deflection shot!   Don't worry, good ol' SWulfe got me about a minute later.  

In round 3, SWulfe had to deal with me AND banana right from the start.  I think it lasted 5 minutes til the first kill, then 30 seconds later the 2nd of us 3 died.  SWulfe went on for a few more kills that round too!   :eek:  That was fantastic flying SWulfe, I haven't flown that well in awhile, and I still only managed one measley shot on you. <S>

My excuse in rounds 2 and 3 is that I was on the phone the whole time!   :D  hehe, because of that, I just went full throttle the whole time.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
What were the numbers?

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
First round was about 40 rip. Did not look after that.

We only have 2 choices for icons. Short and long.

I don't see a reason for an alt cap. Most of the clouds are around 10k and I like the use of them over the water. It adds another "element" into this type of dueling.

Several did want buffs and I might change that "no buff rule" in a few weeks. Even my boss banana wants em.  ;) Lets let it run with just fighters for a while then open it up.

<S> to all who made it and to sling for being a great host! Thanks to all from AW who have sugggested this. I really did not look at this till nash brought it to my attention a couple of weeks ago.  I think it will be a worthwhile event for a long time.  :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
When I came in the middle of round 1 Rip there were 30 in the arena including the CM.  I don't think more than 40 total at any point.  Damn good #s for a first event.  Now let's see if we continue to grow  ;)  :)

S!
Rocket

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
Do you have to 'call' your target so there is no gangbangin in these events?

Just curious
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2001, 10:56:00 AM »
no its just a melee  :)

it was really fun btw i am looking forward to next week. u guys better all practice slinging potatoes ;D

for me winning, proper utilization of radar was the key. i am very confident of my 1v1 skills but was wary of getting ganged up on. my having radar, i would tell if i had time to engage and get a kill before another person could arrive, or if i better not engage. the time i ended up dying was when i couldnt avoid the 2v1.  being timid and not engaging at all wasnt the answer tho since those who chose that route died in the end. in the end "the gambler" turned out to be as good of advice for a fighter pilot as it ever has been.