Author Topic: Landing the Yak.  (Read 372 times)

Offline Ddriag

• Zinc Member
Landing the Yak.
« on: March 01, 2001, 02:33:00 AM »
I'm having trouble landing me Yak. I can't seem to come in and not bounce back up. It seems (to me) that the safe speed zone where you don't bounce and don't stall is impossibly narrow. Any Yak pilots want to share their landing drill?

I'm going to fly the Yak exclusively for the next tour and adopt a rigid policy of flying to live. This will probably involve lots of running away initially. My theory is that I'll learn more and with the limited ammo. I'll have to improve my ACM and Gunnery or I'll cop it. If you come up against a Yak and he performs some brilliant evasive tactics, then runs out of ideas and legs it then its probably me. Bear with me.
This week I are mostly eating... Lead.

Ddriag.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Landing the Yak.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2001, 02:39:00 AM »
Ask me online ddriag I'm a yak addict and I will help you getting her to the ground.

btw the Yak is the only plane I land 3 point or like a jet (depend of my mind)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Landing the Yak.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2001, 02:52:00 AM »
Yeah, I had a hard time landing this thing at first too.  A couple pointers:
  • make sure you're at 200mph, and slowing as you are on final approach (5-10 seconds away from the runway).
  • drop flaps 100% when within a second or two from runway.
  • at 150mph drop gear. this usually means dropping them when literally over the runway.
  • if you get below 150 before touching down, apply enough throttle to bring it back.

------------------
leonid, Kompol
5 GIAP VVS-KA, Knights

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Landing the Yak.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2001, 06:58:00 AM »

I'm having trouble landing me Yak. I can't seem to come in and not bounce back up. It seems (to me) that the safe speed zone where you don't bounce and don't stall is impossibly narrow. Any Yak pilots want to share their landing drill?

LOL! The first thing you should do to learn better landings is land an F4u.  After that damn plane, anything is easy.

I drop flaps at 180, to full.  I drop gear at 150 and I like to land between 110-120.  If you land at this speed, you can stop the Yak in about 100 feet.  Shallow decent is the key to no bounce.

AKDejaVu

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Landing the Yak.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2001, 07:19:00 AM »
I do it like AK. In fact, I bring in all fighters approximately the same way, shallow, 110mph (slower for Zeke), full flaps.

I never have trouble...

Jay_76

Landing the Yak.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2001, 07:23:00 AM »
I, for one, find the Yak incredibly easy to land... even with no power and half a wing.  I come in, no flaps at all, just drop throttle to nuthin to bleed speed and drop gear below 180.  use your throttle sparingly to keep speed at about 150 and then fly it in with a sensible ROD... like less than 500 ft/sec.  She may bounce with no flaps, but she won't go airborne again either.

I might also add, I find that with flaps, turning off the auto-trim helps immensely.

Jay.

[This message has been edited by Jay_76 (edited 03-01-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Landing the Yak.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
 About 5k from the runway drop throttle to 0 manifold. Drop to 200mph by rolling and snaking a bit. Us opposite aileron from your rudder  input to help bled your speed. When you get to just under 200mph drop your landing gear,  when mph reaches about 150mph (which will be quick with the gear drag) drop a notch of flaps, increase throttle to about 30, drop another notch, keep nose level and steady, drop the rest of the flaps and keep your speed to 90-100mph via use of your throttle. At end of runway drop last flap and float er down easily and drive her over to the reamr pad.  .

Yak is easy to land on a CV this way too.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-01-2001).]