Author Topic: Re: AWOL Squadrons  (Read 425 times)

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
Re: AWOL Squadrons
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:37:11 AM »
Sorta begs the question why there are not Axis and Allied Forums.  If not full participant access at least some sort of command forum with leadership from each squadron getting access.

We don't control the BBS and it would take a bit to set these correctly every 3 weeks would be one possible reason.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
Sorta begs the question why there are not Axis and Allied Forums.  If not full participant access at least some sort of command forum with leadership from each squadron getting access.
For those of  you who have been around a while you will remember we had those in the early years. They were unused and hardly ever posted in. I pulled them down.

FSO has gone way beyond what numbers I have seen in Scenarios.

I would not disable bomber formations, but I would work on adjusting the numbers of defending fighters if it seems out of balance with bombers like the B-24's and B-17's as Krusty has pointed out.

There is and always will be a big difference in bombers and fighters. Bombers will always be targets. Fighters don't have that handycap. Nor do they have luxury of being the aggressor. Bombers 'always' have to react to an attack. Having formations of single B-24's or B-17's invite some disappointing and early nights for players. We are better off looking at side balance considerations than moving to single formations. 

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:55:04 PM »
Ok no forums, then how do you do what he is saying needs done?
Read what I posted again Fencer. I never said we should not use forums. I said that they were used in the early years and were pulled down for lack of use.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »
My squad was AWOL last Friday and for this I apologize, a combination of things happening all at once caused this, Friday afternoon I ended up having to go to the E.R and was admitted, I was in there until lastnight, my XO wasn't going to be able to make it due to a fencing competition he had to travel for, our former CO retired last week canceling his account, Gaidin was running setup for the FSO, there were one or 2 others that had posted they wouldn't be able to make it earlier in the week.  It just ended up being alot of things all coming together at the same time that caused this.  Again I do apologize for this happening.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 05:24:50 PM »
Read what I posted again Fencer. I never said we should not use forums. I said that they were used in the early years and were pulled down for lack of use.

Rg that DadDog. <S>
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »
My squad was AWOL last Friday and for this I apologize, a combination of things happening all at once caused this, Friday afternoon I ended up having to go to the E.R and was admitted, I was in there until lastnight, my XO wasn't going to be able to make it due to a fencing competition he had to travel for, our former CO retired last week canceling his account, Gaidin was running setup for the FSO, there were one or 2 others that had posted they wouldn't be able to make it earlier in the week.  It just ended up being alot of things all coming together at the same time that caused this.  Again I do apologize for this happening.

NP Trax, it happens.

Hope you are feeling better.

:aok
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 05:31:24 PM »
This isn't a scenario. This is FSO. We have units switching back and forth quite often. There is no alliance/aliegence that forums would imply.

If anything, that would polarize folks, make them think they get to pick the side they want, and not participate if they don't get it.

The FSO is the exact opposite of that. You go where you are assigned, fly what you don't want, and you still have fun.

This is the smartest thing I've seen Krusty post in the near three years I've been here. :)

I especially agree with the emboldened line. My squad will weep and gnash their teeth about ride assignments and this line is the gist of what we all reflect on with our beloved FSO.

I love all the passionate discussion from the FSO faithful. THIS is what we (CM's) debate and discuss behind closed doors. (And the fact that the Nightmares and USMC are NOT the best squads in FSO :D). We all are passionate about this event. Thank you for being patient with us while we make it better. It's a long process. :)

Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
Ok no forums, then how do you do what he is saying needs done?

Long before frame 1 even ran. This was posted.

ALLIED:

~~~FATE~~~ - Frame 1. May 9th.
The Haze 100th FBG - Frame 2, May 16th.
367th Fg 'The Dynamite Gang' - Frame 3, May 23rd

AXIS

JG11 'Sonderstaffel' - Frame 1. May 9th.
VMF-251 The Buccaneers - Frame 2, May 16th.
FIGHTING 31 - Frame 3, May 23rd.

Along with that post was a list of all squadrons assigned.

Now, it's pretty easy to tell which ones are CiC, since they are on the list.  I would think a very minimal effort might be made for the CiCs to keep in touch by email even, now the squads are registered, and the emails are available on ahevents, so there could be some communication to the squads as well.  It doesn't always have to be what will the CMs do.  It's one thing to do the duty and get the orders out.  It's a Command Role to inspire and involve your team.  None of this has to be done.  But if you want to keep in touch and better prepare for surprises, then keep in touch with your team and Avoid the surprise, that requires Talking To Each Other.

Yes, it's more work, but it's either worth improving on or it's not.  Doesn't really matter to me, I show up because I want to, and have gotten used to getting the orders late, and that being the only communication from the "top".  Good thing I'm familiar and not some new squad that arrives and is still trying to figure this out.  Imagine how bad things can go if they don't show or aren't really clear on things  :)

Inform, Educate, Engage, really no way to say any of that is a bad thing or a waste of time.  But again, it's not things the CM can do for anyone.

I'll tell you this flat out, in a Full Scenario, much more complicated than an FSO, the CMs don't tell the players how to talk or what to say, but sure as heck the one who communicates best typically wins.  You'd think the benefit would be pretty significant if the CiCs took that approach in here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone Has to do this.  I saw a problem, and offered one possible solution, that's all.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.