Author Topic: M-8 37MM He & AP  (Read 243 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
M-8 37MM He & AP
« on: May 23, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »
I have been trying out the M-8 lately, it it is a fun vehicle when you are willing to give up a little firepower for some speed.  Situations do not always give me enough time to roll something slower but more powerful.  Anyway, my question concerns the 37mm AP & HE.  Which is better for attacking light armored vehicles like the following LVT, M-3, M-8, Ostwind, Wirbelwind, M-16, and a couple of others that I may have missed?  Your help is appreciated.

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Tull

• Zinc Member
Re: M-8 37MM He & AP
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:45:59 PM »
Bubba,

I spend a lot of time in an M-8.  The only target that I use HE for is Field/Manned-Unmanned AAA.  It is a stationary target hat has not armor and HE kills it the best.  For all vehicles I use AP.  It has a flatter trajectory and more penetration.  Good Luck and remember "shot the turret first and speed is life!" :aok

Jamie
TULL
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:53:25 PM by Tull »

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:37:36 PM »
Hit and Run is the best (and most fun) tactic to use in the M8. I use AP for all gvs (from the lil Jeep to the mighty Tiger). Use HE when hitting buildings, ack, convoys, or planes taking off. Oh how I miss old TT, swerving left and right trying to dodge 60 shells flying at our spawn, then going full speed towards the enemy firing that little 37mm gun at their side/rear armor.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 01:22:03 AM »
pleae ognore, sorry.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:19:06 AM »
AP ammo for the M8's 37mm gun is significantly under modeled. Typically, shooting AP M74 Shot, it should penetrate 36mm of armor plate @ 500 yards. If we had APC M51B1 Shot, it should penetrate 61mm of armor @ 500 yards.

I have sat within 300 yards of a Panzer and pumped 8 rounds into its rear without effect.

Then again, I have hit an LVT with seven 88mm rounds before it blew up.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.