Author Topic: "How I damaged my own car" or "I'm really stupid and I hate me"  (Read 415 times)

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
So I was working on running purge light wiring/lines and on the wiring of some switches in the console(Nos, purge, spark retard) and had the car in gear because the angle of the shfiter is better this way from removing the shift knob retainer clip. Over the period of a few nights I worked on it in my garage. A couple of nights ago I was standing in my driveway speaking to an employee as he smoked a cigarette and noticed that the vette appeared to be sitting too close to the garage door to let it close. I asked my employee (Charlie) "does that look like it can close to you?" as I stood in the doorway, looking down the line of the garage door opening. Charlie agreed it didn't look like the door would close either, but it had been opening and closing.................for several days.

Dread swept over me, trepidation that I had damaged the car caused that cold crummy feeling in the pit of my stomach. In the dark, I made my way to the workbench and grabbed the worlds greatest worklight, seen here: http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/srm/oid/143195/pn/Cordless-LED-Work-Light-7.2v/erm/product_detail.jsp

and trod the short distance back to the rear end of my car with that terrible feeling that I had done something very foolish and there was noone to blame but me.

Before I turned on the light at the site of my potential disaster I said to Charlie: "I think I am about to be very sad." I flipped on the switch on the world's greatest work light and

Sure enough, the garage door had been opening and closing, all the while rubbing paint off the back of my big blue beast.
I said " I'm very sad."
The paint was completely rubbed off in the spot where the vertical support spar of the garage door was hitting it. The car had rolled back over a period of days.... must have been rolling inperceptively, until I happened to look at the back end. I couldn't bear to look more than that quick glance. The next day I called the shop that painted it and told them what happened; begged them to fix it right away so I wouldn't have to look at the car. Robin at Auto Renew took pity on me and agreed to help me out. I didn't even go in the garage, I had Charlie drive it to the shop(he couldn't wipe the smile from his face) and had another employee follow him. I couldn't bear to see the destruction I had wrought on my own car.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:53:58 PM by SteveBailey »

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
Re: "How I damaged my own car" or "I'm really stupid and I hate me"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »
Wow.  Between baby fecal matters and your poor Vette, you're havin' a rough month or so, Steve. :frown: Hope it gets better, man.
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »
*points and laughs..then stops* Sorry about your car dude. That sucks. I did something stupid this afternoon though it did not involve a Vett, just a new Toyota Corolla. I backed into a wall at a parking garage today. I have a nice white mark on the back right bumper of my wifes car now.

I know honesty is the best policy and all, but I am not sure if I should just play dumb and not say anything. Then maybe she will think someone hit her pulling into a parking space or something..I still haven't decided how I am going to play it yet.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »
You're gonna have a really tough time when one of your kids borrows it without permission and then drops it 30 ft while trying to roll the odometer back?  ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 06:48:20 PM »
It's just a car and it's just paint. If you had dropped it down a cliff, then I could see being upset.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 07:53:27 PM »
The automotive tragedy I will lament to my dying day is the loss of my A9X hatchback only 3 months after I bought it.
I had it parked outside work and a B double took the corner wide and ran OVER it :O
It cost me $25000 back in 1989. They average $150000 these days. :cry
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 08:13:39 PM »
You're gonna have a really tough time when one of your kids borrows it without permission and then drops it 30 ft while trying to roll the odometer back?  ;)

Good thing it doesn't have a grill to kick!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 08:34:48 PM »
At least you didn't neglect to set the parking brake, only to hear a horrible crash as you walked inside, and then wonder, for the briefest of moments, how a truck exactly like yours came to be wrapped around a tree in the back yard, inches from dropping 12 feet straight down into a lake. That was a very short lived thought, as I immediately realized, that wasn't like my truck, it was my truck.

That was my Sonoma SLE, hadn't even made the first payment. I sat in the yard and cried.

Bummer about your scratch.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 08:41:57 PM »
The topic of the thread sounded like something terrible happened, then I read the post.

It's only a Vette. 
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »
The topic of the thread sounded like something terrible happened, then I read the post.

It's only a Vette. 

The type of car is moot  really, although people who put down other's cars, like you, tend to drive real turds. No doubt you drive a real POS, I'd bet money on it.

The point is, it causes one anguish when one damages a project one has lovingly labored over, whether it be a car or a homemade birdhouse.
A turd like you wouldn't understand this, though.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 10:15:27 PM »
At least you didn't neglect to set the parking brake, only to hear a horrible crash as you walked inside, and then wonder, for the briefest of moments, how a truck exactly like yours came to be wrapped around a tree in the back yard, inches from dropping 12 feet straight down into a lake. That was a very short lived thought, as I immediately realized, that wasn't like my truck, it was my truck.

That was my Sonoma SLE, hadn't even made the first payment. I sat in the yard and cried.

Bummer about your scratch.

Oh my... you've topped me. Did it have the 4.3 in it?  That is a great motor.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »
sheesh!!! i started reading, and thought you coked the electrical system, or when i saw NOS, that maybe you did what 80% of the guys that run that do...and didn;'t enrichen it enough, and melted a piston!!!!!
 a little rubbed paint????? you got off easy and lucky!!!!!!

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 10:25:28 PM »
The type of car is moot  really, although people who put down other's cars, like you, tend to drive real turds. No doubt you drive a real POS, I'd bet money on it.

The point is, it causes one anguish when one damages a project one has lovingly labored over, whether it be a car or a homemade birdhouse.
A turd like you wouldn't understand this, though.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<drives a 93 geo prism right now as i can't afford gas in my dakota or my fairmont.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 10:45:11 PM »
sheesh!!! i started reading, and thought you coked the electrical system, or when i saw NOS, that maybe you did what 80% of the guys that run that do...and didn;'t enrichen it enough, and melted a piston!!!!!
 a little rubbed paint????? you got off easy and lucky!!!!!!

<<S>>

I really did... you know how  it is though... foolishly damaged something you  have slaved over

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 10:47:27 PM »
I really did... you know how  it is though... foolishly damaged something you  have slaved over

ya, unfortunatly, i do know the feeling :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"