Author Topic: TA 152 Thread  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
TA 152 Thread
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »
I hope we get the 152 thread back.  If not we need to go over whom is doing what again.  :)
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: TA 152 Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:42:46 AM »
TK's doing one of the 9's, maybe Reschke's.  This one I think:

Someone's doing this one, Motherland or Xasthur:

I'm doing this late scheme, the bottom one..

I can't recall what Krusty chose after someone dib'd Green 9 before him.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:18:04 AM »
Well if no one is doing this one I would like to do it.

Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:25:25 AM »
I was going to post that.. I think someone said they were doing that JG11 scheme.. I can't recall if it was VonMessa, or someone else.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:13:05 PM »
Green 2 is mine... it's... coming along.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »
I did call Yellow 1 some time ago. Krusty and I were discussing whether or not it was yellow or green.

Working on it but it has been a secondary project as my K4s required a total re-work.

I nearly have the bastids done and then the work on 152 will resume.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:54 AM »
Did anyone make any progress with some definitive pictures or schematics for the rivet placement on the 152?

I recently bought Jerry Crandal's Dora bible and I'll make some adaptations from that if I can find nothing else more authoritative.

I will be using a 'sunken rivet' effect, as opposed to the default 'raised' appearance, though, so I'm trying to get a solid understanding of the rivet placement as I have done with the 109Ks I have recently submitted.

Does anyone have any sources they would like to share?

Cheers guys

:salute
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:52:28 AM by Xasthur »
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:04:15 AM »
Oh.... Any progress shots, guys?

TK was doing a great job on his a very long time ago....
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 09:04:39 PM »
I switched to less visible sunken pattern too, yep.  Slacked off this week and now I'm getting pretty busy with work etc.  Two more weeks I guess! :)
Do post refs from JC on the wing root panel/rivet lines tho.   I've got refs from Japo's "Fw190D & Ta152", from Model Art's book of the same name, "Focke Wulf Jagdflugzeug Fw190A Fw190 "Dora" Ta152H" by P. Rodeike, and a bunch of schematics I found on a russian website.  I've also got Dietmar Harmann's "Ta 152", Profile #094 on the 190D/Ta152, and Monogram #24. 
I also have a short piece on Luftwaffe Structure that details some common structure layouts of LW planes..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 11:06:36 PM »
I've gone through JC's book and I've got plenty of crisp photos showing the cockpit area of the fuselage on both sides and a couple of the upper surfaces of the horizontal stabilisers. I'm coming up short on the upper wing surfaces (in enough detail for rivets at least, I have some great photos from the internet for camo patterns) and, of course, the lower surfaces.

I'll have to go through the book and post the best shots here when I get home from work. I haven't got a scanner but my camera should do the job well enough.

Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 11:18:45 PM »
I've got all the rivets and panel lines down to the smallest detail.. The only problem seems to be a minor difference between fuselage nose shapes.  There's a lateraly straight one, and another one that tapers towards the nose (no disagreement on vertical taper).  The other inconsistencies are minor..

I can post any specific areas anyone has doubts on.. just ask.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 01:30:00 AM »
Are there any glaring errors in the default layout of the panel lines?

I've noticed a couple of tiny things just forward of the the canopy (1 panel line that shouldn't be there according to photos) but that's it so far.

Is your rivet layout on the upper wing surfaces more bare than the standard 152/190 skins in game? Compared to photos some of them seem ludicrously overdone.

I cannot find any definitive images that help me with the amount of rivets on the upper wing surface.
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 02:11:31 AM »
Well some of the stuff may be field mods of preproduction stuff later corrected.. E.G. the nose taper thing.. No one on the whole internet that I've heard back from knows what that's about.
 The biggest flaw I've found with the default skin's layout is around the wingroot.  The fuselage (that's where it's mapped on our model) panel line there is too far radialy away from the wingroot.  I'll post a pic of this and the upper wing rivet patterns, and the fuse just ahead of the canopy in a bit. Another flaw is pretty minor, the belly is missing most of its details.  The 108 chute, part of the landing gear assy, etc.  I'll post a pic of that from what I have too.

It would be great if you could post these:  a series of very narrow detail shots of the different mottle gradients in as high res as you can, to give an idea of exactly what the mottle/#76 and camo1/camo2, etc boundaries looked like; and some shot (not necessarily a full plane) that illustrates what a fully painted 152 looked like, as far as how obvious the rivets and panel lines came out.  JC's stuff is really high quality, so it should be very helpful to see how he pictured them and whether we're right about the rivets not needing to pop out much at all.

I've gotta go now so I can't post a pic of it, but if the rivet patterns you can see on the 190D13 in Seattle are a good indication, we shouldn't see the rivets nearly as raw as on the new default Ta152 skin.

And say if you see any significant variance between the different schemes' #76 tint in JC's book(s)...  I need to commit to one and can't make up my mind between all the different references' renderings.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 02:15:08 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 03:35:39 AM »
I believe that many of these images may have come from you or from links you provided, so these may well be redundant... but just in case...

These images all suggest to me that only the panel lines on the upper cowling were readily visible from a distance which leads me to believe that the 152s that saw combat action had the extra time spent on them in the factory applying filler to the the panel lines and quite possibly the rivets also (as they're only starkly visible in places where the paint has chipped off). Thus, the only clearly visible lines should really be the cowl, the MG 151/20 folding hatch:

and all the other regular access hatches for fuel, radio, electricity etc.

JC's book does not provided anything the way of photos of the 152 that I've found yet, it's all Dora stuff. There's a profile for the orange 152 and the one I'm doing, with a photo that is floating around here on the forum. The 152 camo was essentially exactly the same as late Doras so I will flip through it and get what I can from it.

I'll get back to you with the rest of the stuff you asked for later on.

Cheers, mate.

[Edit] If it helps, I beleive that the palest shade of 76 available on Simmer's Paintshop is the best representation of the shade of 76 used on the Jg 301 152s, including 'Yellow 1' that I'm doing, that I've come across so far. I will try and get some more photos of late D9s out of JCs to help you out, though.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:42:30 AM by Xasthur »
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »

D9 in the process of restoration. The quality is not as great I would like it to be but it does show an abundance of depressed rivets on the underside. One would guess that the rivet pattern would be similar on the upper surfaces too.

Raw Prawns
Australia