Author Topic: Best Methods to attack b-17s and b-24s  (Read 421 times)

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
Best Methods to attack b-17s and b-24s
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »
I have been having trouble killing these two American bombers due to all of their guns.  I can easily kill lancs 26's 88's b-25s and so on.  With those i normally attack from under and go up and down and once my E is down i attack from the 4-8 postion. If i find myself losing from there i disengage and grap some alt and restart my attack.  The b-17s and b-24s(shall refer to as bombers from now on) have so many guns that attacking from up and above can kill you.  If you attack head on the possibility of a kill is slim and it is hard to get back to that postion.  So how does every1 else attack these.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Best Methods to attack b-17s and b-24s
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:35:57 AM »
I have been having trouble killing these two American bombers due to all of their guns.  I can easily kill lancs 26's 88's b-25s and so on.  With those i normally attack from under and go up and down and once my E is down i attack from the 4-8 postion. If i find myself losing from there i disengage and grab some alt and restart my attack.  The b-17s and b-24s(shall refer to as bombers from now on) have so many guns that attacking from up and above can kill you.  If you attack head on the possibility of a kill is slim and it is hard to get back to that postion.  So how does every1 else attack these.

High speed slashing attacks from front quarters, to force the enemy having to track many angles. Or just a simple ho. Attacks from astern & below is too easy to track for a competent buff gunner. ALWAYS avoid 4-8 o'clock attacks, unless you really have to (protecting CV for example). Keep your speed high. Always disengage before setting up your next run. Aim for wingroots or cockpit.

The biggest virtue of a buff hunter is patience. People spend 15minutes to climb to attack a bomber formation, yet they die because they don't want to spend additional 3 minutes to set up their attack.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:20:07 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:39:10 AM »
The absolute best method is to vulch them as they spawn on the runway.  They can't use their guns.  It's best to do this when field ack is down  :t 

Really, I've taken to diving attacks from high 6.  I like to get ~3-5K above the target just barely off their 6, then dive in aiming for the spot they will be when I get there.  This means I can't see them below me as I dive in.  If timed right it would give you a full canopy shot.  If timings off slightly it will give you an engine (fire).  This approach limits them to only using their upper gun turret.

After the pass, I pull straight back up, roll 180, then pull back down for a second pass.  If you do this right you will have the same attack angle for the second pass as you had for the first. 

By now you should have at least 2 dead bombers.  The third and final one will now be much easier to deal with.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:46:03 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:00:13 AM »
Vertical drops from at least 2000 yards above. I don't usually bother going for the cockpit, I aim for the wing between the inside engine and the fuselage. It's a bigger and easier to hit target than the cockpit and pilot, and you're guaranteed to hit something important. This is especially effective against B-24s, which either light on fire or lose their wings very easily when hit in this location.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:31:29 AM »
My first choice for attack vector is to cross the T from above, meaning aim for that sweet spot where the wings join the fuselage.  Usually shatters a wing or lights a big fire, either one is a kill. 

Second choice is to line myself up co-alt at 3 or 9 position and rake the bomber from front to back as they pass my nose.  Usually results in a big explosion, especially if you work the rudder for just a split second to keep cannon on target as they fly by.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 02:43:32 PM »
I found out the best way to kill bombers and avoid return fires is to approach from above, diving straight down onto them. That way you have speed, it's hard for them to track ya and shoot ya, and they present a bigger target making it easier to hit.

Here's a vid of how I approach buff:

http://files.filefront.com/Shootin+Buffahf/;10509416;/fileinfo.html
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 02:51:28 PM by Yenny »
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 03:15:48 PM »
Really depends on what I'm flying...if it's a 50cal plane, I know I have smaller guns but faster ROF, therefore I drop from the high six. If I have a 20mm or 4, I might come from high right or high left for strafing runs, as the bigger gun will make it easier on you, if you have good aim. As for 30mm and 37mm cannons...well...since you don't have a lot of rounds (on most planes with the tater) I try to get 3K in front of him and dive on his high 12, fire 4 or 5 taters at the cockpit, pull up and get 2 or 3K back, and get in front of him, and do it again.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:19:06 PM »
HO them in a formation of B-26s. If you judge it right your drones nose guns will connect the corresponding drone of the b17/24s.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.