Author Topic: Clearing Your Six  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
Re: Clearing Your Six
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »
    I disagree with most of these suggestions.   Watch the television show "DogFight" and read about the famous ACES.   They all have alot to say about surviving in combat.  You'll be suprised to learn that most of them frowned on fancy "acrobatic" flying.  Richtoffen called it the quickest way to end up "DEAD".   If you have to rely on a Split-S, an Immelmann or a Loop to save your bacon..  you've already made some poor tactical choices.
     Running away from an enemy plane that has the advantage is the advice i hear most commonly from "REAL" ACES, who have risked their lives flying against REAL enemy planes.  Of couse this is just a GAME and nobody really DIES...  So give the fancy acrobatics a whirl.  And don't forget to film the 5 minutes you spend flying around an enemy plane without shooting him down.  Hollywood is always looking for that kind of footage.

I think you probably prefer high alt BZ picking type of flying. If you want to fly more like reality then always be at 20k, always fly with a bunch of buddies and never engage unless you have absolute advantage. If you make a mistake run like hell until your enemy runs out of gas, gets bored or gets picked by your buddies.

There are many real ace stories of them performing advanced ACM and winning. Usually because they were jumped by a con they did not know was there. Eric Hartman states nearly all his kills were on enemys who never new he was there.

In this GAME we all have the same eyesight (radar and icons). Our virtual pilots all have exactly the same fitness (same reaction to G). Some things just cant be modeled and some things are just not worth it or don't make the game any better only harder to run on most computers.

Most players start out with your style and theory. But this usually only last a certain amount of time. Although some never do grow out of this phase.

Once you become more familiar with all the planes and gain a certain amount of ACM skill you will become more interested in the finer points of "dog fighting". When this finally happens the suggestions in this thread will become very handy.

As for me I grew out the what I call "alt monkey" phase years ago. I regularly fly low, alone and at a complete disadvantage in a plane that is easily out turned (109k4). Why??? because it is alot more fun to out think and out fly someone like you flying a BZ pane with every advantage possible and still killing you.

Check out my Training Films thread. You will see what I mean.

I am not flaming or even disagreeing with your style. It's totally up to you how you want to fly. None of my business. But this thread is about what to do if someone is on your six. You will NEVER learn what to do to save yourself if you don't take these ideas seriously. You will also never learn what to do if you never fly at a disadvantage "on purpose".

Think of this thread in this way. After you get caught by a higher con or get jumped RTB by yourself what you gonna do. Just fly strait? Scream like a girl on the radio? or are you gonna pull your knife out and fight?

Agent360

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »
Well put Agent360. <S>
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
After you get caught by a higher con or get jumped RTB by yourself what you gonna do. Just fly strait? Scream like a girl on the radio? or are you gonna pull your knife out and fight?

My money's on fly straight AND scream like a girl.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.