Author Topic: Wirble VS mg, cannon fire..  (Read 768 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Wirble VS mg, cannon fire..
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »
the WW is easy to turret with guns, thats a give in..

but it seems (at times at least) IMPOSABLE to destroy one with guns..

last night we were attacking a V base with jugs and bombers, all hangars down, 1 lone wirble on the base, he quickly gets turreted..

he drives over to the map room and just parks there..

for the next 10 miniutes.. I dont know how many aircraft pour everything they have into this guy.. there were at least 4 jugs who completely emptied their guns on him, 2 sets of 17s were making low passes strafing him, and a few odd other planes that were around..

every single one emptied all their guns..   many thousands of rounds in total on this guy..  untill everyone was empty..

by this point enemy fighters were getting close so the goon went ahead and dropped troops

sure enough the wirble sat there and killed every single on of them, then towered out, the VHs started popping and that was it..

I know its built on a panzer chassis..  but for gods sake..

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wirble VS mg, cannon fire..
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:59:21 PM »
Thin walled HE shells will not do much to a vehicle meant to resist against armor penetrating rounds.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »
you would think the troops would maybe lob a grenade at the WW or perhaps go around it!
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:29:06 PM »

Exactly. A medium tank chassis being strafed with .50 cal machine guns. I see nothing wrong with the Wirbel NOT blowing up.

I guess that fighter pilots just strafed the tank hoping someone other would drop a bomb on it so they get the kill...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:05:51 PM »
the WW is easy to turret with guns, thats a give in..

but it seems (at times at least) IMPOSABLE to destroy one with guns..

last night we were attacking a V base with jugs and bombers, all hangars down, 1 lone wirble on the base, he quickly gets turreted..

he drives over to the map room and just parks there..

for the next 10 miniutes.. I dont know how many aircraft pour everything they have into this guy.. there were at least 4 jugs who completely emptied their guns on him, 2 sets of 17s were making low passes strafing him, and a few odd other planes that were around..

every single one emptied all their guns..   many thousands of rounds in total on this guy..  untill everyone was empty..

by this point enemy fighters were getting close so the goon went ahead and dropped troops

sure enough the wirble sat there and killed every single on of them, then towered out, the VHs started popping and that was it..

The only thing I've seen fishy about the damage model on the WW is the fact that if one ups and the base gets taken, all the field acks cannot take out its turret.  I saw one stay in the ack getting shot constantly and keep firing til someone dropped bomb on him. :rolleyes:

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline acfireguy26

• Nickel Member
      • FW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:28:19 PM »
 Yeah i saw some ranting on 200 last night........from what i could gather someone died and got upset at someone and a peeing match ensued. (names are being withheld to protect fragile egos. + I think its against rules to postem.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 03:31:21 PM by acfireguy26 »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 03:32:31 PM »
Bring bombs or rockets.  Or an Il-2, Hurricane Mk IId or B-25H.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline acfireguy26

• Nickel Member
      • FW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 03:33:45 PM »
IL2 is favorite can opener.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »
   I must take the wrong WW.

~AoM~

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
I've taken 6 or 7 solid AP shots from pzr to kill WW in the past, so I wasn't surprised to hear that.  I don't care for the WW all that much though ~ they guns are kinda squirrely.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:21:30 PM »
You can pop a wirby turret easy with a lowly Spit I but the rest of it will take a dump truck load of punishment. On one occasion I hit one 8 times with a Tiger and the wirby still kept rolling.  :huh
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »
Every Wirblewind I've shot at in a tank has died within 1-2 shells...

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:26:25 PM »
I guess that fighter pilots just strafed the tank hoping someone other would drop a bomb on it so they get the kill...

Nothing I hate more than dropping a perfect egg only to hear some guy in a pony go "PANZER DOWN!!".

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 05:04:11 PM »
HO'ing a wirbel in a fragile fighter is not exactly a good practice. I only do it when I can come down on top of it. A wirbel can chew up a level B-25H or an IL-2 let alone a fragile fighter.

I remember once I had 110s pound me to death in a wirbel, knocking me on my side and turreting me right in front of a map room. I killed 3 sets of troops with my hull MG anyways and prevented a base grab. :lol
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »
Nothing I hate more than dropping a perfect egg only to hear some guy in a pony go "PANZER DOWN!!".

The ones that strafe GV's I save my Egg for a different GV, or in a GV I just let the guy go.

Nothing more frustrating when your in a GV and someone goes around strafing all the tanks, and waits
for his kills.