Author Topic: Warplane obsessions  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: Warplane obsessions
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
In the past, Yak 9U  -- back when we had big maps.  1st time I was able to control E knowingly.  Was an eye opener.  Stayed with the Yak for good while.

A Jug phase sometime later.

D9 for a good deal of time after that.

Last run at flying, I flew the 109's a good deal.  Actually got to the point where I did better than suck.  Before, I'd evaluate a plane on its ability to turn, climb, top speed, acceleration, etc.  Doubtlessly the right way to do it.  With a 109's, a year or so ago or better, I looked at their ballistics.   Flew them light frequently, no gondos.  Oh, would sling an egg on it though.  Also, rarely took extra rounds for the ammo package.

Is it the G6 that where the move to the German equivalent of 50 cals occurs?  Began to look at them from that angle.  G2 has the German equiv of 30 cals?

Anywhoo, flew with some buds from DFA in their ponys.  Was really a cool learning experience.  Couldn't stay with the ponies once they got a head of steam up.  They'd slowly and constantly pull away.  Also, could not turn as well.  But, despite that, got some kills nonetheless.  Credit goes to the DFA guys no doubt!

I looked for targets that had set themselves up well for what I could pull off in the 109 consistently.  Stayed above them if things got tight and turny.  Their high 6 by a bit.  1,000 feet or less hoping they'd try to get their nose up and bleed faster than I.  The idea being once they leveled, I'd have a go at them.  Tried to take the fight up by increments.

Also, began to get the mindset that I did not have to put down every plane I put lead into.  Got chary with ammo.  Used machine guns to get 'em to turn or try to do something that would result in an advantage for me.  Oh, during this period, accuracy with gunnery never did come back.  Just didn't stay at it long enough.  Or, I'm a lousy gunner and doomed!

The Franz was fun when it came to turning.  But like other earlier birds, was vulnerable to hot rods -- at least in my hands -- and preferred something with a little more zip.  Never did take to the K4 a bunch.  Powerful plane, but I got more kicks from the G6.

Was fun.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:39:00 AM by Hap »

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 08:00:39 AM »
Well first I flew the P-38. I mean that is just stupid the first plane you fly a 38.It is where I learned the advantages of the vert though.  I then jumped to the Dora were I learned how to use roll to do scissors and things like that and how to keep your speed up.  I am now in the K-4 which I am almost never out of.  Something funny is I don't like any of the 5 eny planes.  This may sound crazy but Niki needs some more stuff besides turning, LA-7 isn't fast enough for me, and Spit 16 is pretty good  but not fast enough for me.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 09:01:08 AM »
LA-7 isn't fast enough for me, and Spit 16 is pretty good  but not fast enough for me.

Right

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 11:21:13 AM »
Been flyin the KI-84 alot lately.

So far, I like it better than any other plane I've flown.

I think its only drawback is its speed.

Its pretty fast, but when you're trying to chase some of the "uber" planes down,it just don't cut it.

Other than that, its guns are pretty good,and it handles really good.

It'll probably be my main ride (as a fighter) for the next couple tours.

For an attack plane, I always use the Typhoon.

Base defense usually calls for the Niki.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »
Is it the G6 that where the move to the German equivalent of 50 cals occurs?  Began to look at them from that angle.  G2 has the German equiv of 30 cals?

Yes to the G6, not sure about the G2, though that sounds about right. G6 had ~13mm, while G2 had 7.9mm IIRC.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »
Yes to the G6, not sure about the G2, though that sounds about right. G6 had ~13mm, while G2 had 7.9mm IIRC.
Correct. Everything else between the G6 and G2 are the same-engine, etc... Which means the G6 is slower and less maneuverable.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »
And with bombers, its ALWAYS the B-17, Stuka and He-111,

Can I have a copy of your version please????
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline bobtom

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 05:57:56 PM »
I used to just switch around, but a couple tours ago I became obsessed with the 190a8, and now I love the F4Us.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »
You can always look at my signature and see my uber rides of the month. But usually i change on a weekly basis
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »
I never really was that impressed with the Corsair in real life.  It is an appealing form, but aside from that, it is a pain in the arse to work on, and most of the engineers who designed it should be scolded for making it so difficult to access and repair.  That said, I have been working on one project for the last five years, and even though it is a pain in the butt to work on and fabricate new parts, it has become something I reluctantly enjoy.

The form and ability is amazing, but the mechanics behind the interior design will leave any mechanic shaking their head.  Perhaps had the US forced Grumman to take the actual manufacture over, it would have been a much easier aircraft to work on....  again, who will ever know!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 07:23:39 PM »
Can I have a copy of your version please????

I'm obsessed with it, I didnt say I fly it here :D

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 08:33:27 PM »
Have to say the girl i've been dancing with has been the C202. Nothing quite like baiting a Spit16 into a fight and watching him run for cover when he realizes you can turn and roll inside him and then stay glued to his rear and terrify him with the .303s. U work for the kill, and best of all - no one can call you a cheater - because if you EVER get a kill in the damn thing, you know you worked for it and the other guy has only himself to blame.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 09:42:01 PM »
Thunderbolt and Butcher-Bird...for me the most iconic "good guy" plane and "bad guy" plane respectively.

Nothing shows what America can do at its finest like the fact that ~25 years after the Wright brothers flew, we built a piston airplane that could operate effectively half-way to outer space, absorb a full clip from an enemy fighter and keep on flying, carry an INSANE amount of firepower and bombs, dive until it started bumping up against the transsonic, and oh yeah, in its final form, go darn near 500 mph.

As for the FW...I know it doesn't seem like it in AHII, but it was really the best airframe the Germans had. We'd have had alot tougher time in WWII if they had developed it earlier and engined it more effectively. It was one of the first airplanes with good visibility. It was really tough and anywhere from heavily to insanely heavily armed. It was one of the first airplanes where the pilot only had to fool with a "go" lever. It is so well mannered and stable that it hardly needs trimming over a wide band of airspeeds.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 10:36:14 PM »
P39, because it is always fun to dive on some one, and always bad when it dives on you.  :rock
37mm o' lovinz'.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »
When I first started, I got hooked on the P-38 rather quickly, although I just couldn't fly the damn thing.

Then I got into a FM2/P-40E craze, and after that I loved the F4U-1A corsair for a while.

Then I learned that landing kills in planes didn't really mean much. Now I actually get a K/D ratio above 1, since I don't actually try to kill anyone. I just hope that I can make some sort of a landing. :)

Now I fly the Yak-9U (main ride), 109G-14, FW-190D-9, P-38 (came back to this beautiful aircraft) and the KI-84.

Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks