Author Topic: F-4 turns 50  (Read 1030 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: F-4 turns 50
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 02:47:20 PM »
My apologies upfront because its been nearly 20 yrs ago since I worked on Navy Jets..but if I recall correctly the difference would prbably be the Flight Controls of the 14 were manual/hydraulic  verses the Fly-By-Wire of the F18's.........if I am remembering correctly.....

If the older Tomcat pilots switched to the current F-18, it would be kind of like a real pilot here flying Aces High.....

we used to have competitions/bets on who could change out  and install new engines

the A7's took use roughly 1 hr and 20 to 25 minutes to swap one out and install a new one.

F4's took us roughly 58 minutes......  and 3 of us could switch out a S-3A's engine in under 43 minutes.....

the most fun was when I got my High Power Turn Qual certification...take em out and get to set and start the new installed engines up and ramp them up to military power ( Military power is 80%, that notch and past it brought in the AfterBurner on the jets that had AB, which we wasn't allowed to do,  I always dreamed of the tie-dwons breaking loose and taking off  :pray )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline V1per

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
I believe Spikes would be referring to me. My cousin LCDR. Ted "Chop" Burk, Ex TopGun instructor and pilot currently assigned to VX-9 told me he hates his F/A-18F compared to his F-14B. I also know the personnel of the VFA-31 Tomcatters and there are currently only 3 pilots left with Tomcat experience and all 3 wish they could still fly their F-14D's.

Its a sad thing when both predecessor's(F-4/FA-18) outlive the successor(F-14). :frown:

Quote from: evenhaim
I saw an interview of an f14 pilot who was lucky and young enough to transfer to an f18 and he seemed very excited to get into an fA18.

Kids are Kids....Give one a new toy and they get all excited about it. ;)

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 03:39:40 PM »
  Still the meanest looking fighter ever. Especially head on view.

Partial to the Tiger (F-5) here. 

That's Lt. Col. Daniel "Stampf" Stampfli, in the pit.  :aok
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 04:29:57 PM »
Partial to the Tiger (F-5) here. 
(Image removed from quote.)

EVERYONE knows that is not an F-5, it's a Mig-28!  :rofl:
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 04:33:22 PM »
  Still the meanest looking fighter ever. Especially head on view.

this is an RF-4E in case you didnt notice

and an A-7H Tiger. Nice also

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »

:rofl  Top Gun!! Oh that hurts... :rofl

Great pics Panos.  :rock
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 04:44:24 PM »

oh watermelon its a MiG-28!!!!!!  :O

:lol

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 05:24:58 PM »
The running jokes on F4's and F14's was that "you put enough dynamite under a rock, it will fly". :lol F14's were life support systems for the phoenix missile. Lot's of older pilots liked the F4-F14's for the feel they had out of the controls, which the newer electronic controls didn't seem to give them.

Our pilots were split about 50% on the F18 when we rotated to them. A lot of them missed having a RIO in the back, not only could he do some of the routine stuff, but he was an extra set of eyes scanning the sky while the pilot was busy.

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 08:44:57 AM »
Used to work on the D and E models, geez I feel old now.
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline John Curnutte

• Nickel Member
      • Precisionsquad.org
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 10:50:24 PM »
 I have a cousin name of William Curnutte who was an F-4 pilot and had won 2 DFC's in the Air Force and he swears by his F-4 for durability / and ACM in it .
You can look up his citations on the DFC Society web site . There is very interesting reading of these nam pilots and the things / missions they had run . The F-4 is an old favorite of mine it just looks mean period and the longevity of it is proof of its greatness and ability to upgrade in age .

Thanks Nutte :rock :rock :rock

Don't be afraid to put it out there , if it gets cut off it'll grow back
On your mark , Get set , go away !

Offline weazely

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 10:53:50 PM »
What a cool aircraft! :aok
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX.
Invidia V2 Catless Downpipe
STi Catback
HKS SQV BOV