Author Topic: The end of the mainstream SUVs as we know it.  (Read 241 times)

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
The end of the mainstream SUVs as we know it.
« on: June 12, 2008, 11:45:57 PM »
Consumers are dumping mainstream SUVs in droves.  By the end of 2008 they will be almost extinct.

SUVs in general will still live on only to serve the niche market, such as the Cadillac Escalade.

Notice how I included mainstream on the title.  Mainstream ones are the Ford Explorers, Chev Tahoe, etc.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: The end of the mainstream SUVs as we know it.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 11:59:04 PM »
funny thing, I read that article too... Talked about Wisconsin.

I own an SUV, 1993 Nissan Pathfinder, and have company vehicle, 1997 Ford Explorer.

After this past winter I'd never drive anything else, Milwaukee, WI. without the 4WD I would NOT have gotten home from work on city streets at least 12 times.

Funny thing climate and location is. The owner of my company (a TRUCKING company) owns a Prius. Before my own Pathfinder crapped out (fuel line) the company truck I am currently driving was used oh about 2 months straight by that Prius owner. Let's see those stats!! Get yourself home in 14" snow in 1 day in a Prius.

They say the SUV market is dead, come October let's see Suzy Homemaker get those 4 kids to school in 10" snow, and let's see AAA's rescue / tow numbers.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:46:44 AM »
Saw a report thats said that the F150 is no longer the top selling car. It has been on top of the list every month for 17 years! Think it fell to 5th place or somthing.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:22:13 AM »
10-14" of snow on the road? where do you live, do they have snow plows?  :lol

back on topic GM and ford are selling hybred SUV's now, so don't worry, you can still drive your tanks.

Offline snowey

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 07:36:17 AM »
toyota has been selling a hybred small suv
snowey
=55th=VelociRaptors
Flying since tour 79
VansCrew is a traitor and deserves to be shot
yes i know i cant spell so don't say anything about it

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 07:45:45 AM »
It's not about driving a tank.  It's about loading the kids up and getting somwere.  We have a Ford Escape.  It's a smaller SUV that gets 24MPG on the highway but it fits our family of 5 better than most cars.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
I haven't been impressed with the amount of gas a hybrid saves.  I think the average amount is about 2MPG,
which could possibly save you about $428.00 per year(2x52=104*4.12=428.48). But since demand is so high for these new vehicles I think it voids any gas savings you would get. 

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 08:21:20 AM »
history repeats...

Back in the 70's we were told that the end of the muscle car was here!   People pulled big blocks from rare cars and put in small blocks.. 64 GTO converts and big block Chevelles sold for $500..  you couldn't give em away...

You see.. we had run out of oil.. or would in the next ten years.. gas was rationed.. you could only get it every other day.  price doubled.   

Have you watched a muscle car auction lately?

To be fair tho.. SUV may be a dodo but that is me projecting..  I never liked em.   rather have a truck or a station wagon anyway. 

lazs