Author Topic: First Kill.  (Read 3014 times)

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
First Kill.
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:04:48 AM »
OK, I finally got my stick and throttle, new computer and was ready for flight.  Not having "flown" since the days of AW I had set my expectations low. I flew quite a bit yesterday and managed to "assist" in a couple of kills.  I need that first kill!  My question is, what, in the opinion of the experts is the best plane/model to learn to fly in?  I must get that first kill!  I tried all different planes, the spit of course, 109, F6 and P38 (When I was in AW I flew the P-38 exclusively).  I should also note I flew in the Relaxed Realism arena's, so this whole shaking plane thing is freaking me out as well.  What settings do you recommend as far as in flight go (auto Combat trim, stall limitator etc). 

I have been trying to read as much as possible on the game, but it never hurts to ask for additional help as far as I am concerned.

Thanks in Advance
ODBAL
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: First Kill.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »
I'd turn stall limiter off, it limits your turning ability a lot. Combat trim is fine, though.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:28:37 AM »
Combat trim is fine, though.

That depends on the plane.  I always turn the combat trim off when I enter a fight in a Mossie. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »
109k4 and you will feel godlike.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:46:51 AM »
109k4 and you will feel godlike.

Is that why the 109 astronaut/picker crowd likes to fly so high?  To be closer to heaven?  :D

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 11:52:23 AM »
My question is, what, in the opinion of the experts is the best plane/model to learn to fly in? 
ODBAL

The best plane to fly is the one you feel most comfortable in. You already have experience in this, so hop into a few ride in the TA and see which one feels "best" to you.
Then stick to it for some time when taking it to the MA's again.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »
I'm not sure which plane yet, there are so many more models than in AW.  I tried the P38 and could not get that sucker to turn at all, a couple of the 109's were good, and the spit seems to be good for learning.  I tend to prefer to turn and fight instead of B&Z.  Any ideas then on which models of 109 and Spit would be best for this?  Is the F6 more suited to Turn fighting or Energy fighting?

Thanks,
ODBAL
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »
I'm not sure which plane yet, there are so many more models than in AW.  I tried the P38 and could not get that sucker to turn at all, a couple of the 109's were good, and the spit seems to be good for learning.  I tend to prefer to turn and fight instead of B&Z.  Any ideas then on which models of 109 and Spit would be best for this?  Is the F6 more suited to Turn fighting or Energy fighting?

Thanks,
ODBAL

Indeed the Spit's are good for learning to swim in AH, as they are "easy" and forgiving planes. And being quite powerful, you can apply both TnB as well as E fighting / BNZ techniques. You may consider flying Spit IX, VIII or XVI. VIII and XVI have basically same performance - the XVI rolls better and has some firepower advantage, the VIII has longer range and is more stable in slow turnfights.

109's need a stronger hand, they aren't as forgiving. G-2 or G-14 may not be the worst ones to start with...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »
I just really put my hands into the heart of the 109F yesterday...and it was simply amazing. If you get out of the LA's, Spits, N1K2's, Pony's, the 109F is one fun bird to fly. You may think one 20mm cannon with (at most) 200 rounds isn't much...but I had 6 kills (all A2A) in one yesterday, and still had 67 rounds of cannon, minus the dive on two planes that I got assists on, that would have been around 100 rounds of cannon left. 100 cannon rounds and six clean kills, no steals, shoot off their tail type is kills.
Just imagine how many rounds a pilot with good aim would have.  :D
I wouldn't fire till 400 out even if it was a big plane...and the small guns don't do much...it's pretty much worthless firing them. They're only for mere small support, or just pi$$ing off the other guy... :lol
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:59:01 PM by SpikesX »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »
F6F can TnB or BnZ, depending on the situation or opponent.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »
F6F can TnB or BnZ, depending on the situation or opponent.

Agreed.  F6F is a good choice but it does require a lot of flap work in a turn fight were the Spits generally do not.  Spit VIII or IX are the most forgiving.  The XVI has a tendancy to snap roll when slow.

Leave stall limiter off.  Use combat trim when flying to and from engagements and turn it off when engaged.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
From my early experiences, I'd say that a Yak-9U might be a good plane to try out.  I tend to use it for short range defence missions (no clue why though).  Also, I seem to remember getting a kill in a 109 early on (don't remember which kind).

Of course, I must recommend the B-25 (either kind will do), partly to fulfil my namesake, and partly because they're cool aircraft.  I'd say if you can kill a manoeuvring target from one of those, you're doing well.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 04:02:13 PM »
You gotta love introducing the fighter jocks who LOVE HOing bombers to the pumpkin' chucker, too. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 04:14:14 PM »
I'd try the YAK 9U as well. It's a good turnfighter, good BnZ, and fast so you can exit stage left if you need to. It has a small clip, so you learn ammo management as well.

The other side of the coin is that the YAK is the most underrated AC in the game, and you both have bragging rights if you get a kill, and an excuse if you get killed in one   ;)

Welcome back to the unfriendly skies from another former AW Pilot!

:salute

Newman

327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »
FM2 for teh win. :aok
See Rule #4