Author Topic: Best Fighter Aircraft in Aces High Part 2  (Read 2864 times)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Best Fighter Aircraft in Aces High Part 2
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 02:33:33 PM »
Some people probably showered their drink thru their nose, reading that.  The 51D's definitely near the top of the short list of best fighters in the game.

How so Moot? As a bnz'er, hunter plane, its okay I guess. But many planes fill that niche well. As a 1v1 fighter? It turns nearly as badly as the 190s, without the climb, accell, roll rate, or firepower. It climbs and accelerates only a little better than the Corsair, while being vastly inferior in turn. P-51 zooms well, but no better than the Hog. A freakin' JUG can beat it in angles fighting right now. The P-51's gun package is not particularly deadly. It is not even the best runner.

The fact that is flown by some of the best pilots in the game and they fly it extremely does not mean the plane itself is that great, as modeled in AHII.

Short list of best fighters? Here is my "short list" of planes that will generally kill/drive off the Pony in a Co-E fight between equal opponents:

Corsair
Spit
Ki-84
P-38
N1K

And thats just off the top of my head, without going into sub-models.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 02:43:22 PM »
Which models on that list?  The 109E isn't top tier.
I was saying the 51D certainly doesn't "suck", and that it's definitely one of the best fighters.. Saying a jug out-angles it is a loaded comparison, imo.  Like saying a jug out-turns a 190.  Look at it from the other extreme, and it's not just OK as a bnz hunter, it's definitely one of the very best.  In fact, any fight that starts and/or continues at 360 mph will give the pony a pretty large headstart on the win.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 11:04:19 PM »
Found a GREAT VID on the F6

The F6 had over 5000 kills and the had the highest kill ratio of WW2

In game it's a good fighter, excellent jabo plane but suffers many deaths to the more capable.
In game trying to kill zekes with it is just as hard as trying to kill most every other plane...in other words, nothing to easy about trying to fly this one unless it's all you fly.

IMO the F6 needs a remodeling here. It needs to be a bit faster and turn better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7XJGsbhCgc&feature=related
YouTube - Dogfights: " F6F Hellcat " 1 of 5

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »
109g14 fighting the stall 10 feet off the ground makes some of the bs worth it.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 11:38:58 PM »
Found a GREAT VID on the F6

The F6 had over 5000 kills and the had the highest kill ratio of WW2

In game it's a good fighter, excellent jabo plane but suffers many deaths to the more capable.
In game trying to kill zekes with it is just as hard as trying to kill most every other plane...in other words, nothing to easy about trying to fly this one unless it's all you fly.

IMO the F6 needs a remodeling here. It needs to be a bit faster and turn better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7XJGsbhCgc&feature=related
YouTube - Dogfights: " F6F Hellcat " 1 of 5

The F6F is modeled fine with the exception of it's low speed departure, which is a little too rapid and without much warning IMO.  My current 6 month K/D rate in it is 5.44 with a best camp of 14.50.  That's against both GV's and aircraft.

Fighting Zekes, keep your speed up and use vertical slashing attacks (just as they did in RL) and they won't stand a chance.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MachNum

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 03:59:06 PM »
This is the reason that there is no "best" fighter in Aces High. You can only say best at one particular thing, and even that's probably up for debate. Without getting into the debate about the accuracy of the current P51 model, one of the big strengths of the P51 is its ability to dictate the fight and engage or dis-engage at will. I always feel (whether it's accurate or not) that the P51 is best at getting me home in one piece :) Best in any sort of extended manuever fight? Not so much.

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
i like the p47 d40 better than the 51 not as fast but at least i earn more perks with it.   eny 15or 20 if i remember right.

Please clarify for me, when in the hanger choosing a plane and at the top one of the categories is "eny".  What does this signify?  Is the higher or lower number better?

Thanks
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 04:28:19 PM »
Please clarify for me, when in the hanger choosing a plane and at the top one of the categories is "eny".  What does this signify?  Is the higher or lower number better?

Thanks

ENY is a system for getting perk points.  The lower ENY planes are supposedly "better".  Shooting down a high ENY plane with a low ENY plane doesn't get you many perks, but doing the opposite gets you a lot of them.

ENY has since been expanded as a way to side balance in the MA's.  When a particular counrty starts getting too large a numerical advantage, ENY will kick in, limiting the low ENY end of the plane set, and forcing the higher numbered country to fly more challenging planes.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »
Once again very helpful.  I was wondering why I could not fly certain planes sometimes.  Sounds like a good tool (potentially) to ensure paridy in the arenas.
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »
Once again very helpful.  I was wondering why I could not fly certain planes sometimes.  Sounds like a good tool (potentially) to ensure paridy in the arenas.

Well.. it does not exactly balance the arenas, but makes the hording side cry about it ("Unfair!" or "Why do only we always get ENY?" or "crappy programming !")

I enjoy it.  :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 08:21:24 PM »
Points you get are your plane's eny divided by that of what you shot down. Multiplied by 1.5 if you land on a CV, and 1.25 on any other landing area.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline wantok

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 10:09:44 PM »
ENY is a system for getting perk points.  The lower ENY planes are supposedly "better".  Shooting down a high ENY plane with a low ENY plane doesn't get you many perks, but doing the opposite gets you a lot of them.

ENY has since been expanded as a way to side balance in the MA's.  When a particular counrty starts getting too large a numerical advantage, ENY will kick in, limiting the low ENY end of the plane set, and forcing the higher numbered country to fly more challenging planes.

Thanks, BaldEagl, I've used that as the basis for a wiki page on ENY.
Madina ... AHWiki

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 11:07:02 PM »
The F6F is modeled fine with the exception of it's low speed departure, which is a little too rapid and without much warning IMO.  My current 6 month K/D rate in it is 5.44 with a best camp of 14.50.  That's against both GV's and aircraft.

Fighting Zekes, keep your speed up and use vertical slashing attacks (just as they did in RL) and they won't stand a chance.

The F6F-5 flight model has an odd roll instability at high AoA that causes the violent departure. It's also 20 mph too slow at best altitude. There's volumes of vintage test data showing the F6F-3 being capable of at least 391 mph using WEP, and the F6F-5 reaching 406 to 409 mph with WEP as well. This should be corrected when the F6F comes up for updating.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2008, 11:29:47 PM »
The F6F-5 flight model has an odd roll instability at high AoA that causes the violent departure. It's also 20 mph too slow at best altitude. There's volumes of vintage test data showing the F6F-3 being capable of at least 391 mph using WEP, and the F6F-5 reaching 406 to 409 mph with WEP as well. This should be corrected when the F6F comes up for updating.

My regards,

Widewing

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  F6F needs a BIG overhaul.

Hitting trees since tour 78