Author Topic: PTAB Bombs for IL-2  (Read 776 times)

Offline Impakt

• Copper Member
PTAB Bombs for IL-2
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:55:05 PM »
PTAB bombs weighed 2.5 kg and had a charge of 1.5 kg. I quote:
Each IL-2  could be loaded with up to 192 PTABS in four cartridges or up to 220 in four bomb racks. When released in level flight at a speed of beteween 337 and 354 kph at an altitude of 200 meters . . . the PTAB would land with a density of one bomb per 15 meters. The PTAB load from a single IL-2 thus would cover an area of 3,000 square meters
from Kursk the Air Battle: July 1943 Christer Bergstrom (Classic Publications, 2007), p 41.

I will relate key details from p 41 and quote a bit. (1) The PTAB "were by far the most effective" weapon against German tanks at Kursk (air weapon I presume). It could penetrate armor up to 60mms in thickness.
  The bombs did not bounce off a tank "but penetrated the armor through a directed cumulative explosion which eventually set the tank burning."
There are numerous Russian after action accounts of Panther V kills and a 65 ton SPG "Ferdinand". Was first used in 1943.

(1) I think this would be a cool and historically very relevant addition to the game and the IL-2.
  (2)  The "drop conditions" i.e., 200 meters alt, at speed between 337- 354 kph----would be fun in game like torpedos and troops.

(3) Finally, the book I cite is FANTASTIC and might help me cook up a Euro time zone scenario. The appendices have detailed orders of battle that would be very useful. The campaign itself was fascinating and integrates GVs well. JU-87s, Ju-88s, 109Gs, 190s were the bulk of Axis forces (pity AH is missing HE 111, Ju-52) so the scenario could work on that front. AH slightly weaker on Soviet AC---but IL-2 and LA-5 were the main players----Yak-9 was present (but more Yak- 1 and 7-B). Anyway, just an aside---I'll look into it more.

<S> Impakt

oh a not very helpful Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTAB
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:17:19 PM by Impakt »

+ FAFL ALSACE 341 +

In game handle = Impaktt

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Re: PTAB Bombs for IL-2
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:29:38 AM »
Should those bombs be perked?! DAMN!!  :D
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:50:51 AM »
I don't see the point of these bombs in aces high, as we have no infantry, except in case of mass GV troop drop.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:58:53 AM »
But it's an anti-tank bomb...
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:03:31 AM »
my bad, I read the post in diagonal  :D I saw 1.5kg of charge so I assumed it was an antipersonnel weapon.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 07:06:30 AM by Noir »
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:07:31 AM »
Very effectve anti-armor cluster bomb. With a penetration of 60mm, the hollow charge should penetrate the roof or rear deck armor of any gv on the battlefield. The only downside might be the sudden computational load of having to track 192 objects (or more if dropped by several IL-2's en masse). This could conceivably "thump" your frame-rate at a bad time.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Impakt

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 01:11:17 PM »
Good point on the 192 objects. Perhaps the effect could simply be "simulated." For example, if the drop conditions are met a certain % of GVs in the 3,000 sq meter drop zone will have a ceratin % chance of being hit and or of not being hit, etc.. Might want it to be a Perk weapon (is there such a thing---a perk loadout). What it WOULD do is make the IL-2 the  premiere GV killer in the game as it was on the Eastern front. It already is good---this would make it great. As a counter balance for Allied/ Axis scenarios---maybe a 2x 37mm cannon pod package for the Stuka----ok I'm greedy.

+ FAFL ALSACE 341 +

In game handle = Impaktt

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me in that case   :aok

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 05:23:43 PM »
Good point on the 192 objects. Perhaps the effect could simply be "simulated." For example, if the drop conditions are met a certain % of GVs in the 3,000 sq meter drop zone will have a ceratin % chance of being hit and or of not being hit, etc.. Might want it to be a Perk weapon (is there such a thing---a perk loadout). What it WOULD do is make the IL-2 the  premiere GV killer in the game as it was on the Eastern front. It already is good---this would make it great. As a counter balance for Allied/ Axis scenarios---maybe a 2x 37mm cannon pod package for the Stuka----ok I'm greedy.
Kinda my thinking. HTC could simulate the weapon's use statistically without saturating game resources.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"