Author Topic: Landing vs. Ditching  (Read 141 times)

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Landing vs. Ditching
« on: January 19, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
Currently, one must be ON the runway when exiting the aircraft to get a successful landing, otherwise, it's classified as a ditch.  I don't agree with this rule.  I would think that as long as you landed on land with wheels down (and don't groundloop and crash) it should be classified as a successful landing.  The current rules makes it especially cumbersome for vehicles and boats.  It takes forever and a day to get somewhere such that you don't want to waste time returning to your "hanger" to get the credit for a successful "landing".  One time, I exited an Ostwind on my base (maybe 100-200 yds) away from the starting point and it got classified as a ditch.  Also, I got in a PT boat and decided to exit right away. I had not moved an inch from my starting point yet it classified it as a ditch.  If I can't even exit the boat at my original starting point and get at least a successful "landing' then I'm at a loss on the boats. Above all, I enjoy bringing back a crippled airplane and if I land it just off the runway I should get full credit for a successful landing.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Landing vs. Ditching
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2001, 02:37:00 PM »
I landed...once  

Lars

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Landing vs. Ditching
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »
If you landed on the airfield (not neccessarily the runway) without damaging your prop or gear, it would be nice to have it counted as a landing.  Instead of having to be OTR.

If you landed OTR and damaged your prop or gear, it would be nice to have it counted as a ditch.

This would mean "landing" is defined as a safe, non-damaging landing on your airfield and a "ditch" would be damaging your plane upon landing.

Fury
<not a coder>

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Landing vs. Ditching
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
Fury,

That sounds OK to me.  As long as one lands within the perimeter of the field and doesn't damage the prop or gear I think that would be fair.  A ditch would also be a landing (damaged or non-damaged) NOT within the field perimeter.

TheWobble

Landing vs. Ditching
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2001, 06:55:00 PM »
I managed this beauty a while ago, apparently the ground crew didnt see a problem with this landing and promptly began reloading my bird...

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Landing vs. Ditching
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »

Originally posted by SpitLead:
Fury,

That sounds OK to me.  As long as one lands within the perimeter of the field and doesn't damage the prop or gear I think that would be fair.  A ditch would also be a landing (damaged or non-damaged) NOT within the field perimeter.

If you land on the base and dinnae damage your prop or gear (and assuming you have a touch of fuel left) why can't you take a minute or so and taxi to the runway or taxiways to get a landing.

For vehicles, there is a "no man's land" between the VH and the main base which will give you a ditch if you're in it when you .ef.  You're not inside the main base perimeter, but you're outside the VH perimeter (they reside on different tiles).

I think I'd call the controlled crash at the end of the movie Memphis Belle a landing, not a ditch, even though they were shot to hell and outta fuel, and off the runway.  Dinnae about ya'll though  

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
Landing vs. Ditching
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2001, 04:36:00 AM »
As everyone knows, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, any landing after which they can use the plane again, is a great landing.

Weave

Beurling

Landing vs. Ditching
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2001, 12:54:00 AM »
I have wanted this for many months.

I would like to see deaths and ditch's  scored differently too.

EYE

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Landing vs. Ditching
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
What do you mean, Beurling? If you get killed, you get it counted the same as if you got shot down. If you ditch, it is not counted as a death.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Landing vs. Ditching
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2001, 03:15:00 PM »
I reckon if you survive to get your plane down within the confines of a feild then it shouldnt count as a ditch - maybe 1/2 a landing or something if you damage it.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group