Author Topic: WWII history test  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: WWII history test
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 12:07:37 AM »
Neville Chamberlain? Although he wasn't Prime Minister at the time.

Excellent! Although Chamberlain made his initial proposals while he was still Chancellor of the Exchequer, he continued to press for this after becoming Prime Minister in 1937. Japan's continued aggression against China made it impractical to get any real cooperation from Parliament. The  growing strength of Germany forced him to refocus on issues far closer to home.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »
What meeting of world powers near the end of World War II is often said to mark the beginning of the Cold War?

'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 10:17:43 AM »
What meeting of world powers near the end of World War II is often said to mark the beginning of the Cold War?

Potsdam
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »

Yalta Conference in 1945?  But I think it's sort of open to debate between Potsdam and Yalta - from what I learned for my exams and what I just read on Wikipedia, I'd have to say the Yalta Conference, as I think it laid the basis for the Cold War.  For example, whilst it was agreed that the original governments would be restored to all of the liberated/invaded countries, Stalin did not do this, and IMO thus started off the mistrust etc.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »
 :salute
The Yalta Conference, a wartime meeting between Franklin D. Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, and Joseph Stalin from February 4 to 11, 1945, is considered by many experts to mark the beginning of the Cold War. Among the issues discussed at the Yalta Conference were German war reparations, the division of Germany into zones of occupation, and the repatriation of all Soviet soldiers who had joined American and British troops whether they were willing to return or not. It is believed that many of these soldiers were put to death upon their return to Soviet control.
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Offline DEAR98

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »
I got one. What was the most produced US aircraft in WW2?
Don't shoot a "deer" they may shoot back.
The String is stronger than steal.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »

B-24....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 11:11:29 PM »

F22
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline toetoe31

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 11:57:42 PM »

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 07:06:39 AM »
Then again....at Potsdam,
is when Trueman told Stalin that the US had the A-bomb

Stalin never trusted the west (never trusted anybody, actually)  hearing about the bomb the way (and when) he did didn't help.

But, then again, when the cold war started is pretty subjective

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »

Yeah, I imagine the German high command would guess around November of 1941. :aok

Offline DPQ5

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 12:21:20 AM »
hmmm... p47?
29th Infantry Division
Darkest Hour Realism Unit
King Company
Sgt. Phillips

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 10:17:49 AM »
Laugh OUT Loud!

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 10:59:48 AM »
Then again....at Potsdam,
is when Trueman told Stalin that the US had the A-bomb

Stalin never trusted the west (never trusted anybody, actually)  hearing about the bomb the way (and when) he did didn't help.

Potsdam did play a huge role but it was not until July '45 where as Yalta was in Feb '45

....There was severe disagreement between the Allies about how Europe should look following the war. Both sides, moreover, held very dissimilar ideas regarding the establishment and maintenance of post-war security. The Americans tended to understand security in situational terms, assuming that, if US-style governments and markets were established as widely as possible, countries could resolve their differences peacefully, through international organizations. Soviet leaders, however, tended to understand security in terms of space. This reasoning was conditioned by Russia's historical experiences, given the frequency with which the country had been invaded over the last 150 years.

At the Yalta Conference in February 1945, the Allies attempted to define the framework for a post-war settlement in Europe but could not reach a firm consensus. Following the Allied victory in May, the Soviets effectively occupied Eastern Europe, while strong US and Western allies' forces remained in Western Europe. In occupied Germany, the US and the Soviet Union established zones of occupation and a loose framework for four-power control with the ailing French and British.

At the Potsdam Conference, starting in late July, serious differences emerged over the future development of Germany and Eastern Europe. At this conference Truman informed Stalin that the United States possessed a powerful new weapon. "Stalin’s only reply was to say that he was glad to hear of the bomb and he hoped [the United States] would use it." One week after the end of the Potsdam Conference, the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki led to further conflict between the Soviet Union and the United States. Shortly after the attacks, Stalin protested to US officials when Truman offered the Soviets little real influence in occupied Japan.......

'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn