Author Topic: CPU cooling adventures...  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: CPU cooling adventures...
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »
Installed 2 new 120mm higher RPM fans.  I know I said I didn't care about the noise...but my case is scheduled for lift off in T minus 10..9...8...

The new ones have chasis fan plugs so maybe I'll try turning on the Quiet Chasis Fan feature on my mobo.  I would guess that my old 120mm's were 1000 or so RPMs.  The new ones are 2000 and loud.  I took an old 120mm fan and replaced an 80mm with it.

On the good side, airflow is...how do I said, incredibly increased.  Temps dropped about 4-5C across the board.  My 8800 used to idle at 60C+, it does 52-53C now.

My cores are still hotter than I like, about 50C idle.  Next stop is to remount the HSF and reapply the Arctic Silver.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2008, 08:46:28 PM »
What ya got there is a Harrier Case!  :rofl :rofl :rofl

I haven't quite got my bios reading my temps or any other program for that matter. Wednesday I get my new Sound card and while I installing that I will reset the cmos. I updated the bios Saturday or Sunday.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2008, 10:34:49 PM »
I updated the bios Saturday or Sunday.
I don't recommend drinking and flashing (your bios!).
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
I don't recommend drinking and flashing (your bios!).
Not even wine?! Well, it is super simple with the abit board. You just One click and it does the job.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »
I dont know that I have anything to read my Northbridge and southbridge temps,but would t help that much to put a fan over them to keep them cool???I am not sure of the temps.Would they be in the bios??
                                           Falcon

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2008, 10:55:36 PM »
I dont know that I have anything to read my Northbridge and southbridge temps,but would t help that much to put a fan over them to keep them cool???I am not sure of the temps.Would they be in the bios??
                                           Falcon
My computer case has 3 temperature sensor wires that I can attach with tape to any component I want in the case.  I have 1 on top of a hard drive, one on top of my CPU HSF, and the other on the heatsink on my northbridge.  It's displayed on an LCD screen on the front of my case, so that is the only way I know the temp of my northbridge (an technically it's not even the chipset, its just the heatsink temp).

Keeping my northbridge cool helps keep my general case temperature down.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2008, 08:31:23 AM »
My computer case has 3 temperature sensor wires that I can attach with tape to any component I want in the case. 

Would that be duct tape  :D
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »
Well initially I was having problems not seeing a temperature drop with my new HSF and some Arctic Silver 5.  Mainly the Core readings were 20C+ over the CPU temp readings so I figured something wasn't right, either not seated or an even application of the Arctic Silver 5.

So I took it all a part, cleaned it off and reapplied and resat the HSF.  Prior to the reseating, I was getting up to 65C on the cores on a heavy load.  Now with 3 Prime95's running at both cores at 100% I'm getting 50-51C max.  CPU temps have dropped about 5-10C on the average.

So in hindsight, the new HSF and Arctic Silver did work, in addition to adding two very noisy 120mm fans.