Author Topic: Manned MGs  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
Re: Manned MGs
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 11:04:41 PM »
This is a very good idea and I would love to see it implemented.  Tying the ability to spawn to the barracks and limiting the number of spawn points makes sense.

Imagine the humiliation of being downed by a D3A tail gun, but on the ground.  Cool!
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
How would it be kept to sensible numbers?  Maybe limited by 'no more than X on the field at a time' (like field guns now), till the source object (barracks) are destroyed.

Making it a kill would of course limit it, but aside from that Moot, I'm not sure it needs to be limited. After all, there are no limits to the number of Wirbies that can be spawned from a working VH. Also we are talking about rifle caliber MGs, so even if you were to spawn 8 on the field, we still only have the cumulative destructive power of a Spit 1, and since the guns aren't calibrated and firing at the same target, its actually much less potent than that. We are really just talking about oil/coolant hits, control surface damage, pilot wounds, and a few more holes in the fuselage - which is what happened in reality. It was rare that pilots strafing defended military targets didn't come home with at least a hole or two in the airframe.

This is mostly just to add historicity to field defense, give the barracks actual value in field defense, and make it just slightly more difficult to totally silence the ground defense at an airfield.

- SEAGOON   
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
I was just thinkin.. wouldn't work too good at a vbase, troopies would never make it into maproom with 8000 .30's shootin at em :)

Or, I guess you'd just have to pork barracks.. Then the vbase needs to be resupplied before rolling on next base up line...  hmmm

Guess it would work.. would definately change that aspect of the game..

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 05:12:42 PM »
I remember reading one of Churchill's books and it said that they had light AA guns for 1-3000 feet medium guns(the ones we have I would guess) from 3-7k and heavy flak for any thing higher.  Those numbers might be off but you get the point.  I think it would be nice to have some smaller caliber guns on the base but if the medium guns are knocked out the light ones will stop working too.  If it was different taking bases would be too hard.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »
I remember reading one of Churchill's books and it said that they had light AA guns for 1-3000 feet medium guns(the ones we have I would guess) from 3-7k and heavy flak for any thing higher.  Those numbers might be off but you get the point.  I think it would be nice to have some smaller caliber guns on the base but if the medium guns are knocked out the light ones will stop working too.  If it was different taking bases would be too hard.

Not really, Just put in about 8 or 10 .303 machine guns or 5-10 .50 caliber (single barreled) guns. Couldn't do too much.  :aok
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »
Making it a kill would of course limit it, but aside from that Moot, I'm not sure it needs to be limited. After all, there are no limits to the number of Wirbies that can be spawned from a working VH. Also we are talking about rifle caliber MGs, so even if you were to spawn 8 on the field, we still only have the cumulative destructive power of a Spit 1, and since the guns aren't calibrated and firing at the same target, its actually much less potent than that. We are really just talking about oil/coolant hits, control surface damage, pilot wounds, and a few more holes in the fuselage - which is what happened in reality. It was rare that pilots strafing defended military targets didn't come home with at least a hole or two in the airframe.

This is mostly just to add historicity to field defense, give the barracks actual value in field defense, and make it just slightly more difficult to totally silence the ground defense at an airfield.

- SEAGOON  
Sounds good, I guess :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 03:36:27 AM »
It has my support.  :aok

~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »
 :aok
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech