Author Topic: AH Community question.....fix kill stealing?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
Re: AH Community question.....fix kill stealing?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »
I dont see an easy fix.  I make note of who it was and if the kill steal was blatant, I'll generally ignore the person and wont go out of my way to help them in anything.
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
There aren't a million TKO configurations. e.g. Missing a whole wing, that's a good threshold to stop counting damage. You could arguably go through all possible damage states and set other configurations as damage-counting thresholds.   That would already take care of a good number of kill steals.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »
Not sure what needs to be fixed.  If you kill someone, you get the credit, kill em before the other guy steals it.  I think it would be far simpler for you to chase the plane down if you want to confirm the kill instead of trying to code something that already has a solution.  You can't code behavior out of people, finish the job instead of counting on someone else to honor what you might say over range.

Just an opinion, stuff like this doesn't bother me.  Remember, you asked :)

:huh If the tail is off the enemy plane, bomber engine on fire, that plane is finished! Why should you sacrifice alt or ammo on him anymore? I see the posters point in this as he did all the work to have some tard come in and get the kill for it. If you call the plane dead then others should respect that you have done your job and leave it alone. If they want to follow a tailless plane down to make sure he dies, well that's up to them, but they shouldn't be shooting at it. Why waste ammo/alt?

As far as a fix? I don't think you'll ever see anything happen.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 06:52:46 PM »
Now missing both elevators is tricky, but can be limped to friendly territory and ditched using power and flaps and turning it on it's side (using the rudder like an elevator) to control it's rate of decent.

Ditch?  Why not just land?  Note, there are no elevators or rudders on this plane :)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:35 PM »
:huh If the tail is off the enemy plane, bomber engine on fire, that plane is finished! Why should you sacrifice alt or ammo on him anymore? I see the posters point in this as he did all the work to have some tard come in and get the kill for it. If you call the plane dead then others should respect that you have done your job and leave it alone. If they want to follow a tailless plane down to make sure he dies, well that's up to them, but they shouldn't be shooting at it. Why waste ammo/alt?

As far as a fix? I don't think you'll ever see anything happen.
That bomber damage is only an effective kill if it's already dropped its bombs or if it isn't ackstarring a field, etc.  A plane with only its flaps shot off, or a zeke just set on fire are both still able to kill.  An ostie in the open out in the middle of nowhere is good as dead if its turret is out, but it's still worth shooting at if it's parked with neither engine nor turret but with the hull gun pointed at and in range of a runway spawn or map room, etc.  GVs could easily improve if they had parts taken off the damage counting list once they're damaged, but planes are probably more arguable.. A whole wing or fuselage section taken off a plane ought to end damage counting, though.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 08:15:09 PM »
I really don't care about the score, or getting a handle up in lights, it's just the point of the matter. 

Ummm...  :huh  If you don't care who gets credit for the kill, why the thread about stealing it?  If in fact you don't care about the score or "name in lights" then you should be satisfied that YOU KNOW you shot the bad guy down and he is no longer a threat to your team. 

I agree that kill stealing is a poor exercise in game play; however, just admit that the reason kill stealing is crap is that you want the recognition of blasting said NME from the sky.  There is nothing wrong with that and there is no reason to be embarrassed about it.   :salute

Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »
Of course, if you really wanted to address an issue of kill stealing, one should consider the GV - pre-kill stealing.  By that I mean the tard that flies around strafing every tank on the map with their .50cals knowing full well that they cannot affect any damage.  Then when someone else comes along and drops a bomb on the tanks, the bomb racks up the assist because some dweeb has pumped 100 rounds of BBs into the bad guy previously.    I see this WAY more often than some squeaker shooting a wingless cockpit all the way to the ground (although I admit it does happen)

:salute
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »
Of course, if you really wanted to address an issue of kill stealing, one should consider the GV - pre-kill stealing.  By that I mean the tard that flies around strafing every tank on the map with their .50cals knowing full well that they cannot affect any damage.  Then when someone else comes along and drops a bomb on the tanks, the bomb racks up the assist because some dweeb has pumped 100 rounds of BBs into the bad guy previously.    I see this WAY more often than some squeaker shooting a wingless cockpit all the way to the ground (although I admit it does happen)

:salute

Kill stealing in the air does happen occasionally by accident, sometimes deliberately (though often by new players not knowing it better), and sometimes sheer bad luck (find a lone bomber, kill him and suddenly you find that someone just hat put a lot of rounds in him before)
But in the end I found it evens pretty much out over the long run.

But that kind of killstealing vs GVs sometimes really gets me upset. Especially when a player didn't simply put a bomb on a tank, but invested a few minutes to take a tank, drive to the enemy only to get "assist" after slugging it out with that enemy Tiger in front of him.
I see that literally every day... about 30mins ago, enemy T34 rolling to the base and two Ponys happily strafing with their .50cals.  :rolleyes:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »
Ditch?  Why not just land?  Note, there are no elevators or rudders on this plane :)
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice job!  :aok.  I have not had the chance to try that in a P-38 ( I usually get alot more than that shot off of me and die a fiery horrible death in those planes :D )

I have tried in a P-47 and a Mossie..best I coax out of those was a semi-controlled ditch.
"Rotorhed"

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 08:58:27 PM »

Ummm...  :huh  If you don't care who gets credit for the kill, why the thread about stealing it?  If in fact you don't care about the score or "name in lights" then you should be satisfied that YOU KNOW you shot the bad guy down and he is no longer a threat to your team. 

I agree that kill stealing is a poor exercise in game play; however, just admit that the reason kill stealing is crap is that you want the recognition of blasting said NME from the sky.  There is nothing wrong with that and there is no reason to be embarrassed about it.   :salute

Again, its the POINT of the matter.  The principal.  Even if I do not care about score/name in lights, why should the work I have done help the score of some noob chasing down and sawing up dead planes?
"Rotorhed"

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 09:03:59 PM »
What really needs fixing in that regard is the fact that the kill ever goes to the strafer that does "pointless" damage in the first place. As it is, it's a self-perpetuating situation, because the less well informed player performs a reasonable seeming action, and then gets awarded a kill for doing so - unless the player follows the boards or involves themselves in squad play, they may not realize for a long long time that the strafing didn't actually "do" anything substantial.  I know I played for months without realizing that strafing vehicles was pointless. I found out that I wasn't actually damaging anything here - and only a small percentage of the players visit the BBS.

It's like Pavlov's dogs - they push a button, they get a reward.  And it's going to be a very uphill battle to change the herd behavior as long as the unwanted behavior is rewarded.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 09:12:39 PM »
For a guy that doesnt care you sure wrote quite the post on it.

Crikey, I think HTC has other issues to spend game development time on, imho. It can be annoying, sure, but its such a minor thing really.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 09:53:55 PM »
I would like to keep the current version of the scoring system, solely because I enjoy stealing kills from my squadmates whenever possible.

offtopic:  What a battle in that 2002 thread  :lol.  Some of Hooligan's comments were hilarious.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
I would like to keep the current version of the scoring system, solely because I enjoy stealing kills from my squadmates whenever possible.

offtopic:  What a battle in that 2002 thread  :lol.  Some of Hooligan's comments were hilarious.

As a member of JG11, most of the guys in the squad are way better than I am.  I find myself "losing" kills to a squaddie, quite often.

This is OK for us, and Stampf (our fearless leader) gives much praise for it, especially in FSO events.

When flying with a squad, one member may be a more accurate shot.  This is usually the guy who gets the kill credit.  But...  having a bunch of assists is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you bag a bunch of kills for the squad as a whole.  More people in a squad having assists rather than kills implies a certain level of teamwork.  If you get the assist, but your wingie gets the kill, it means that you were still doing your job well.  You pumped some rounds into him, which probably shook the guy up, ultimately giving your wingman or squaddie an easier time of neutralizing something that could be a future threat.

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 06:52:28 AM »
What really needs fixing in that regard is the fact that the kill ever goes to the strafer that does "pointless" damage in the first place. As it is, it's a self-perpetuating situation, because the less well informed player performs a reasonable seeming action, and then gets awarded a kill for doing so - unless the player follows the boards or involves themselves in squad play, they may not realize for a long long time that the strafing didn't actually "do" anything substantial.  I know I played for months without realizing that strafing vehicles was pointless. I found out that I wasn't actually damaging anything here - and only a small percentage of the players visit the BBS.

It's like Pavlov's dogs - they push a button, they get a reward.  And it's going to be a very uphill battle to change the herd behavior as long as the unwanted behavior is rewarded.

<S>

Whoops _ failed to specify that I was responding to the discussion on guys strafing tanks - my earlier post doesn't make a lot of sense if applied to the issue of air-to-air "kill-stealing".

<S> 
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue