Author Topic: X45 Frankenthrottle is Born!  (Read 1201 times)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
X45 Frankenthrottle is Born!
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:22:07 AM »
I've had a Saitek X45 stick buried behind my monitor just to use the throttle that connects to it for a long time now. But..no more...Frankenthrottle is born!

Thanks to a little tidbit of information that Homeboy posted a couple of weeks ago, it's been converted to plug into a USB port on it's own. No more stick behind the monitor.

More info will come if anyone is interested.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline HAMMERR

• Zinc Member
Re: X45 Frankenthrottle is Born!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:07 AM »
I'm definately interested.  I've got an old X45 throttle lying in the garage. would be nice to use

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »
If you're interested in doing it yourself, total cost for parts is about $50.00. You end up with a fully functioning throttle, just like it was still attached to the stick. It just identifies itself to windows differently.

You'll need one of these - http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/, a small PC board from Radio Shack (I use 1/2 of a dual IC board), 2 IN914/4148 Diodes, a soldering iron, solder and a glue gun.

I'll post instructional photos when I do the second one I have. Because this one was an experiment, it isn't pretty inside, but it works. I'll be making it look better the second time around.

I should be able to post the schematics in a day or two. I just need to put my notes into schematic form.

If you just want to exchange your throttle with the one I'm doing, and so long as the throttle you have is functional we can work something out.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:55:47 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
Sweet!!

WTG NHawk!

Now, you can mod the thing any way you want.  If you want another button, you just drill the hole where you want it and connect it to the BU board.  Same for an axis.  You truly have a "Mr. Potato Head" throttle now!

BTW, I can't believe you got that board so fast!  It took almost six weeks for me to get mine.  You must be a member of the Royal Family!   :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:44:12 AM by HomeBoy »
The Hay Street Boys

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:16:40 PM »
 http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/
8 analog axes...
Aileron + trim
Elevator + trim
Rudder + trim
Trottle + rpm
Gee, that leaves only 32 buttons.  :frown:    :D
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:35:10 PM »
Sweet!!

WTG NHawk!

Now, you can mod the thing any way you want.  If you want another button, you just drill the hole where you want it and connect it to the BU board.  Same for an axis.  You truly have a "Mr. Potato Head" throttle now!

BTW, I can't believe you got that board so fast!  It took almost six weeks for me to get mine.  You must be a member of the Royal Family!   :D

I was totally shocked when it was delivered. But if I'm not mistaken I did tell you Prince Harry would make sure it was delivered quickly. :)

I already have switches and pots to expand if I decide to. And the second one is going to look much better than the picture I sent by email. After disconnecting every wire in the throttle and mapping it out I found that all that's needed is to bring 2 extra wires from the Aux and Mode switches down to the base. There's no need for totally rewiring the throttle like I did on the first one.

I've already started photo-documenting the process step by step and, I'll be ordering another BU board tomorrow for the second throttle. Let's see if Harry can work his magic a second time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:39:11 PM by NHawk »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:37:56 PM »
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/
8 analog axes...
Aileron + trim
Elevator + trim
Rudder + trim
Trottle + rpm
Gee, that leaves only 32 buttons.  :frown:    :D

LOL...remember the X45 throttle already uses 16 of the 32 button positions. So, you only have 16 left. :)

And personally I've always used the two rotary dials for Aileron and Elevator trim. :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:59:51 PM by NHawk »

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »
Just thinking out loud for building complete custom controls.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:44:48 PM by 633DH98 »
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
I've started detailed instructions on the conversion. They are partially done and available here...

X45 USB Conversion Instructions

Just be patient, it's a large page with large photos.

I will complete the instructions once I get more USB boards.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »
Excellent!

With your permission, I will add your article to my growing list of projects at my web site once you're done.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 07:52:05 AM »
The instructions are completed and still available at X45 USB Conversion Instructions

Homeboy....If you want to post it on your site, go ahead.

Anyone else, the throttle used to make the instructions is available. If you're interested, PM me and we'll work something out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:53:54 AM by NHawk »

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 10:15:47 AM »
Great work Nhawk!
Super doc too!  I will be proud to add the FrankenThrottle to the other "Franken-devices" at my web site.

Here's an idea for "FrankenThrottle2":   In that flat area where the Mode1-2-3 switch and that orange button is, you could mount a couple of hat switches (salvaged from an old Gameport CH stick you can get off ebay for $10 or less).  It looks like you could work the two hats nicely with your thumb.  One thing is for sure, you've got all kinds of options now!

I've sort of taken a break from modding as I've enjoyed trying to not be such fodder in the MA but you have inspired me to get back out in the shop.  I was working on a "FighterRunt"; a CH FighterStick with about a 5/8" section cut out just above the pinky button so as to shorten the stick for those with smaller hands that have trouble reaching the 8-way hat.  Maybe if I find a suitable guinea pig to test it (I don't have any trouble reaching the POV hat myself), I'll get back on that project.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 11:27:16 AM »
Great work Nhawk!
Super doc too!  I will be proud to add the FrankenThrottle to the other "Franken-devices" at my web site.

Here's an idea for "FrankenThrottle2":   In that flat area where the Mode1-2-3 switch and that orange button is, you could mount a couple of hat switches (salvaged from an old Gameport CH stick you can get off ebay for $10 or less).  It looks like you could work the two hats nicely with your thumb.  One thing is for sure, you've got all kinds of options now!

I've sort of taken a break from modding as I've enjoyed trying to not be such fodder in the MA but you have inspired me to get back out in the shop.  I was working on a "FighterRunt"; a CH FighterStick with about a 5/8" section cut out just above the pinky button so as to shorten the stick for those with smaller hands that have trouble reaching the 8-way hat.  Maybe if I find a suitable guinea pig to test it (I don't have any trouble reaching the POV hat myself), I'll get back on that project.
Thanks for the compliment. :)

I would have to say no to the hat switches. If you look at the photo where I say to remove the screw, glue etc. you'll see there's a post for one of the screws that holds the throttle halves together. And where the one dot of glue is that helps hold the board in place is another screw post. It's pretty tight there, but without having a hat switch in hand I can't be sure.

Half off topic... The little project I emailed you about is coming along well. I have the prototype board ready and am writing the program for the chip. So, you better get back into modding because I might be ready by the end of the month. Once I'm sure everything is working I'll have the final boards made and send you one. As it stands now it will have fewer axis and buttons than the BU0836 but will be self calibrating.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »
Wow!  That sounds sweet.
NP with the modding.  I can "turn on a dime!"   :D
In fact, the FighterRunt stick does not currently have any electronics in it so it may be a good candidate. 
The Hay Street Boys