Author Topic: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
You know, seriously, this thread is a Godsend. 

My smoker is going to be busy all summer and the kids aren't going to know what hit them :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »
Extremely Easy Stuffed Mushrooms

3 lbs               Large Cap Mushrooms of your choice
1 lb                Cream Cheese (softened to room tempreture)
1/2 lb             Bleu Cheese (crumbled works fine)
1 lb                smoked bacon (cooked & crumbled)

Rox i do these also with cooked breakfast pork sausage, crumble it up and put it in - same reaction - someone ( quit pointing at me) scarfs em up before they can be served :)

Another way to do it - is to soften the cream cheese and blue cheese in the microwave - mix in the pork sausage or bacon with the cheese in a bowl - then put it on party rye bread - those little rye breads that your wife gives you a strange look when you return from the store with a package of those - and she told you to pick up a loaf of rye bread..... another story.... anyway - cook for about 10 minutes - if the cheese isn't melted enough - I throw it in the broiler section of the oven for about a minute - nice partly scorched cheese flavor - yummm

:rock

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2008, 09:44:48 AM »
NISKY
Here is a quick and easy strawberry pie.

I can attest to the fact that this is delicous pie - and kids love it - my Mom-in law makes it all the time - she also does one with almost the same recipe - but adds 2 bricks of philly cream cheese and melts it down with the ingredients and puts it in -
it is her - almost kinda creme cheese pie cake - it is very good

NwBie
:)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:14 AM »
Extremely Easy Stuffed Mushrooms

3 lbs               Large Cap Mushrooms of your choice
1 lb                Cream Cheese (softened to room tempreture)
1/2 lb             Bleu Cheese (crumbled works fine)
1 lb                smoked bacon (cooked & crumbled)

Rox i do these also with cooked breakfast pork sausage, crumble it up and put it in - same reaction - someone ( quit pointing at me) scarfs em up before they can be served :)

Another way to do it - is to soften the cream cheese and blue cheese in the microwave - mix in the pork sausage or bacon with the cheese in a bowl - then put it on party rye bread - those little rye breads that your wife gives you a strange look when you return from the store with a package of those - and she told you to pick up a loaf of rye bread..... another story.... anyway - cook for about 10 minutes - if the cheese isn't melted enough - I throw it in the broiler section of the oven for about a minute - nice partly scorched cheese flavor - yummm

:rock

NwBie

toss in some lump crab meat and we have a winner.....

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »
My sister taught me that mushroom recipe 30 years ago.  You can mix and match on the meats & cheeses and it's still awesome.  The only way to mess it up is to overcook the mushrooms.

Dichotyomy--I posted some grilling tips ^^^^with some easy ways to get extra smoke without adding calories.

I have made some improvements since last year, but here are some hamburgers.

ROX 2008 Garlic Burgers

3 lbs           ground chuck or ground round
2                heads garlic  (See instructions)
5                spring onions, thinly sliced, green part only
1 slice         Provolone Cheese per burger, thinly sliced
                 Liquid Smoke   
                 ROX BBQ Seasoning**(See below)

Take beef and kneed in finely diced spring onions.  Form beef into round, flat, patties, about 1" thick.  Carefully peel and slice garlic into slivers (roughly 1/4" by the lenth of the clove), lengthwise, and insert into patties at the side edges, about one sliver of garlic every inch or so of edge.  Also insert garlic slivers into top & bottom of each burger.

Before cooking on the charcoal grill, give each patty a few shakes of Liquid smoke, and dust with ROX BBQ Seasoning **.

Grill until done to taste (mine are a shade medium, but be careful with beef as if not properly cooked can lead to food poisoning.)

The garlic will mellow as it cooks.  Toast the buns on the grill.

In the last couple of minutes of grilling, place a slice of provolone cheese on top of each pattie.

** ROX'S BBQ Seasoning

3 T      Prepared BBQ Spice  (Spice aisle at Walmart)
1 T      Paprica
1 T      Garlic Powder
1 T      Kosher Salt (Or imitation salt for low-sodium folks)
1/2 T   Oregano
1/2 T   Basil
1/2 T   Cayenne Pepper
1 t      Finely Gound Black Pepper
1 t      Powdered Mustard
1 t      White Pepper

Take all ingredients and run in a food processor until it's a fine powder.

Bleu Cheese Stuffed Burgers

3 lbs           ground chuck or ground round 
9oz            crumbled bleu cheese
1 T            onion powder
                 liquid smoke
                 kosher salt
                 fresh ground pepper
                 extra large buns or kaiser rolls

Form circular patties about 1/2" thick about 1/2" larger than the diameter of the buns..thicher is better than thinner--this is supposed to be one BIG burger!  If it weighs out to about 1/4 of a pound before cooking your in the ballpark.  Try and make them as close to the same size as you can. Season the meat with salt & pepper to taste, and sprinkle the onion powder equally on each burger.

Place the bleu cheese on 3 the pattys, but no closer than 1/2" from the edge.  Place one empty burger over the one with the bleu cheese and carefully pinch the edges together to seal.

Baste with liquid smoke--just shake it on.

Use the grilling tips for soaked hickory chips and bacon fat.  Get as much smoke around these burgers as you can.

DO NOT TURN these burgers any more than you have to!  Bobby Flay backs me up on this one--on High Heat, you might only have to turn twice and your done...10 minutes each side--slightly pink is ok but no red.  In fact, no turning anywhere in the first 10 minutes.  Close your air intakes and close the lid and go do something else.  You can re-open the air intakes after you do the turn.

Pinkish-grey is almost perfect on the inside.  It wouldn't hurt to cut the biggest one open (a Bobby Flay no-no) to make sure there is no red anywhere.

When you see the cheese melting and starting to try and leak out you are close to being done. 

Toast the bun or roll on the grill and serve burgers with your favorite toppings...but the burger is the king...I'd recommend:

2T      Mayonaise
2        extremely thin slices of Vidalia onion
3 oz    kosher hamburger pickle slices

But use whatever you like, just so it dosen't overpower the blue cheese (you probably wouldn't want to put a spicy mustard on this burger.)

Don't waste this burger on kids... :D

Serve with potato chips and ice cold golden adult beverages.

ROX

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2008, 08:04:35 PM »
The Bleu cheese burger sounds good. About to try it now.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2008, 01:46:53 PM »
It's GREAT when the thread goes from simply sharing to folks breaking out the recipe box and posting stuff they would normally call "off limits".

I bumped into Chef Jimmy yesterday and we talked about the stuffed mushrooms--I mentioned zetanine's lump crabmeat idea--he stopped, smiled, and said "good as gold...email me the recipe".

ROX

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2008, 01:50:24 PM »
not only that.........I'm still the ONLY cat here who offers pics with his recipie's.  ;)

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »
Ok...we've gone over the line and the secrets are now spilling out.

I could open a pizzaria chain on this recipe, but I'm sharing it.

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Dough

1 1/2 cups          warm water (about 110 degrees F)
1 (1/4-ounce)      packages active dry yeast
1 T                    sugar
3 1/2 cups          all-purpose flour
1/2 cup              semolina flour
1/2 cup              vegetable oil, plus 2 teaspoons to grease bowl
1 T                    salt

In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, and sugar and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the semolina, 1/2 cup of the oil, and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes. Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil.

Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Pizza Sauce

1 T           olive oil
1/3 cup     chopped yellow onions
1/2 T        salt
1/4 T        freshly ground black pepper
1 T           minced garlic
1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
2 T           chopped fresh basil leaves
4 T           chopped fresh oregano leaves
Pinch         cayenne
1/2 cup     chicken stock
4 T           red wine
Pinch        sugar

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onions, salt, and black pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, and cayenne, and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and fragrant, about 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat and puree in a food processor or blender.

After you have made the sauce set aside.

After you have made the dough, locate to at least 2" high square "casarole" dish (9" x 14" or so).  14-inch pizza pan that is 2 inches deep.  Place the dough in the center of the pan.    Using your palms, stretch and push the dough toward the edge of the pan (as  the dough warms up, it will be easier to stretch).  Pull the dough up the side of the pan, pressing it against the side with your fingers (only about  1/4-inch of the pan sides should be showing) until it is quite thin. 

Put the dough in the oven (pre-heated to 450 F) for about 5 minutes.

Pull the dough out and put the sauce on it, and dust with parmesean cheese.

Cover the sauce with mozarella chese...twice as much as you would for regular pizza...pile it on.

Over the sauce place your favorite toppings (mushrooms, cooked sausage, green pepper, pepperoni, etc).

Bake at 450F for 20 minutes...keep an eye on it.  When the cheese first starts to look brown around the edge--you are done--pull it out.

If none of the cheese has browned at the edge..give it more time.

Last year, a guy laughed at putting chicken stock in the pizza sauce.   Emeril Lagassi puts chicken stock in his pizza sauce.  I'd take Emeril's advice on sauce any day.  You could use beef stock...wouldn't matter much.

Deep dish pizza looks really odd at first take.  For folks not used to it it looks like a cassarole. 

There is no comparison to other kinds of pizza.  Chicago Deep Dish is a pizza unto it's own.  Two pieces and you are done.

If you want to know what "wise guys" eat, make this.

ROX

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »
Awesome, I'm saving that one.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2008, 12:45:36 PM »
I freakin love good pie..........but I take a sharp left at deep dish.  it's never been my bag...  I dig a very crispy thin crust...almost burnt...and a very limited amount of toppings...usually just pepperoni....

I am addiction to...........and make a beeline for....little italy when in NY..... I LOOOOOOVE Lombardi's pizza....... best pie in the USA (and the original pizza shop in the USA)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:48:04 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2008, 03:44:53 PM »
Oh...don't get me wrong.  I LOVE a great thin crust (very little yeast) pizza.  Crispy-crunchy...

It's just Chicago Deep Dish is SO awesome...

The place I went to back in Waukegan, IL ...Poetesta's has gone out of business.  The guy tried expanding locations too quickly and went under in real estate deals.

I can replicate his pie (recipe above).  The atmosphere was perfect.  Lots of aquariums everywhere.  They brought out a "cooling rack" and placed the circular pie on that.  You needed a knife AND a pie server.  Those pieces were THICK.

Over on Belvidere Road across from WXLC & WKRS was Barnaby's.  They had the BEST thin crust on the PLANET.  Get Pepperoni & mushroom and a pitcher of dark beer.

Now, you's have to go http://www.silopizza.com/ The Silo in Lake Bluff (where they make Jelly-Bellys) for a decent deep dish.

Back when my wife and I were dating we frequented all three.

After those places, the chain pizzas are a booger.

ROX

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2008, 01:11:24 AM »
Oh...don't get me wrong.  I LOVE a great thin crust (very little yeast) pizza.  Crispy-crunchy...

It's just Chicago Deep Dish is SO awesome...

The place I went to back in Waukegan, IL ...Poetesta's has gone out of business.  The guy tried expanding locations too quickly and went under in real estate deals.

I can replicate his pie (recipe above).  The atmosphere was perfect.  Lots of aquariums everywhere.  They brought out a "cooling rack" and placed the circular pie on that.  You needed a knife AND a pie server.  Those pieces were THICK.

Over on Belvidere Road across from WXLC & WKRS was Barnaby's.  They had the BEST thin crust on the PLANET.  Get Pepperoni & mushroom and a pitcher of dark beer.

Now, you's have to go http://www.silopizza.com/ The Silo in Lake Bluff (where they make Jelly-Bellys) for a decent deep dish.

Back when my wife and I were dating we frequented all three.

After those places, the chain pizzas are a booger.

ROX

Spent many a Sunday afternoons at the Silo eating -ZA - while at Lake Forest College -
Then on to the Wooden Nickel in Highwood to wash it down
Then on to The Alley in Highwood til closing then on to Al Santi's in highwood til closing at 5:55 AM and be first in line at 6:00AM when he re-opened - lol- Some goofy Village Law
Then Classes at 10 AM
And dreaded Football practice at 3pm

those are great memories you stirred up Rox - thanks   :D

NwBie

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2008, 04:02:45 PM »
 :salute Nwbie

I have many a fine memory of sitting at a candlelit table at The Silo with my bride to be on a Saturday night chatting while we waited for our pizza.  So does she  :aok

Ya know...normally I keep the most "secret" recipes in the box to myself.  Some I got from my mom or Chef Jimmy, others are ones I have worked on and worked on and modified for years to perfect.  This one is oner of those.

Many people have busy lives. 

Busy jobs, bad traffic, kids to take to soccer or band lessons, the boss called and needs that report NOW.  It's way to easy to say "forget it", and grab a bag of tacos or burgers on the way home than cook something yourself. 

But...if you COULD....and have something AWESOME waiting for you when you get home.....WOULD you?  You can!

Most purists would scoff and say PFFfft...THAT'S not real smoked brisket! 

Well, to heck with 'em...THEY don't live your busy life, do they?

We're combining the "Memphis Dry Rub" ingredients into the BBQ Sauce.

Arkansas Crock Pot Brisket

5 1/2  lbs               Beef brisket
 1 bottle                 mesquite flavor liquid smoke
 ALL                       Barbecue sauce* (see Below)
 8                          VERY large cloves of garlic

Calorie concious?  Trim at least half the fat off the fatty side.  If not, leave fat on and skim it off later...there is a flavor factor

In the largest cookware you have, on high heat, brown (almost burnt) the fatty side first, then flip and brown the meaty side.

Relocate the brisket to a cutting board and let it cool.

Take the cloves of garlic into thin "sharp" strips lengthwise.  Taking a sharp steak knife, cut a deep slit and insert the garlic into the meat.  Repeat this all over the brisket.

Combine all ingredients except brisket in removable liner.  Shake on 4T of the bottle of liquid smoke and reserve the rest. Add brisket and turn to coat well with barbecue sauce. Marinate overnight in the fridge. If you have problems getting the lid to close, using an electric knife, trim off what you need to to get it to fit, and place all the meat in inside liner, covered.

Only add enough BBQ Sauce to no more than 1" below the top of the crock pot liner, reserve the rest for use at the table.

The next morning, place liner in the crock pot base and cover with the lid.   Cook on low for 9-11 hours.

(If you are able to...cook on high for 1 hour and then low the rest of the time.)

ROX Super-Secret Beef BBQ Sauce*

3 Tea bags       Orange Pekoe Tea
3T                   Butter
1                    large onion, chopped fine (Vidalia, if avialable)
1 14 oz can      Tomato Sauce
2 Cups            Catsup
1 Cup             White or Apple Cider Vinegar
3T                  Chili Powder (New Mexico, if available)
4T                  Paprika
3T                  BBQ Spice (Spice aisle at Walmart)
1T                  Dry Mustard
1T                  Extremely Chopped fresh garlic
1T                  White Papper
1T                  Fresh Ground Pepper
1T                  Onion Powder
5T                  Dark Molasses (Braer Rabbit, if available) (OR: 1/4 cup brown sugar if molasses are unavailable)
3T ea              Corn Starch & Water (thickening agent), mixed well (semi-solid)
4T                  Cayene Pepper (Optional)
4T                 Bottle, Mesquite Flavored Liquid Smoke

Take 3 teabags and place in a "knee-high" nylon (so no tea leaves get into the tea) you have borrowed from the wife. Steep in about 1 gallon of hot water until almost a bronze colored darkness.  Remove the tea bags and take the tea to a large stock pot and boil until you have reduced it to about two cups.

Take 3T of butter and melt in a pan on low heat.  Add onions and garlic and gently sautee intil soft.  Add the tomato sauce and combine all the other spices, tea, and ingredients stirring well.  Bring up the hear to medium but  DO NOT let boil.  Add the corn starch/water mixture last, stirring in a little at a time until fully added.

You can double the recipe and use half for the brisket and "bottle" the other half in a Ball or Mason Jar.  Refridgerated, it lasts up to 3 months.

Liquid Smoke USED to be way more potent 20 years ago.  The current version has gotten a lot more winpy--that's why we have to use more today than back then.

Go ahead and laugh at the tea and the way I keep tea leaves out of the sauce--but it works.

ROX

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:49:02 PM by ROX »

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2008, 08:24:30 AM »
Rox

I did the burgers, deep dish pizza, and the pasta sauce this weekend.  Rave reviews from the entire family  :aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute