Author Topic: Favorite books?  (Read 885 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Favorite books?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »
Good call on the Count of Monte Cristo.  It's nothing like the two movies that have been made.  It's so much more evil and devious.

Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful  compared to the book.

There is just no way that anyone is going to fit the best revenge tale EVER conceived and make a worthy film. 

One can NOT cram years of imprisonment, learning, plotting, planning, and execution of plans into 2 hours of video and put the viewer properly in the head of Edmund Dantes.

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »
Lately I've been considering the value of Mini-series to explore the literature realm.  For example, I am very concerned that they are going to try to fit all of Atlas Shrugged into one 2-3 hour movie.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 01:40:57 PM »
Lately I've been considering the value of Mini-series to explore the literature realm.  For example, I am very concerned that they are going to try to fit all of Atlas Shrugged into one 2-3 hour movie.

Mini-series for most novels would be a much better medium.    :aok

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 01:44:23 PM »
Yep, the miniseries has the only real hope of doing justice to a book.

The Band of Brothers miniseries is the greatest war story ever put on film...and it couldn't have done anything as well if it were a movie
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
Agreed.

Although the whole 'TV' thing chaps my arse from time to time.  I still make my kids read more than they really want to.  Especially if I see them watching something that I know I have the book of, on the bookshelf.

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
"Rotorhed"

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 03:28:47 PM »
If you want a good book, I recomend The Last Stand of the Tin Can Soldiers.  It's about Taffy 3 and how they did some ballsy things against pretty much the might of the Japanese Fleet.

I'm looking to finish that one. But I'm pretty much at the end. The book Abandoned at Leyte is really cool because you can tell what the guy is doing in the Battle of Leyte gulf. Where he was and IIRC from "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" (not Soldiers) they mentioned his group attacking the Battleship Yamato.

oh and roundeye, read "Days of Infamy" you'll love it.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »

oh and roundeye, read "Days of Infamy" you'll love it.

Thanks, anglesandair...I'll look for it. :aok
"Rotorhed"

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »
Thanks, anglesandair...I'll look for it. :aok

Brand new book, really detailed.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".

Offline Barnes828

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »
Soldier X: its about a young German conscript late in WW2 who is sent to the eastern front as a translator, he is wounded and poses as a Russian soldier (Russian family so hes fluent in Russian and German) soldier in order to avoid capture/execution, he becomes friends with a nurse and couple patients at the hospital he is at, eventually the germans over run the hospital and he  makes his way to the American and British front to save his friends from the Germans, eventually the only remaining people in the group is him and the nurse, he is accidentally shot in the arm and faceby an American and is given care. Later after recovering and losing his Arm he reunites with the nurse and they move to the United States and becomes a teacher.

I believe the story is entirely true except the names of most of the characters. Ive read the book probably 8 or 9 times and could never put it down.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 03:59:28 PM »
1. Patton: A Genius for War by Carlo D'este

2. Why the Allies Won by Richard Overy

3. Allied Fighter Aces by Mike Spick

4. The Mind of Adolf Hitler by the OSS
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:17:21 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 04:18:20 PM »
Bzzzzzzzzzt!

Read them. Brooks didn't even TRY to disguise having ripped his characters right out of LotR. They were ok, but I never got around to reading the  Voyage of the Jerle Shannarra because they just weren't worth it. The Rhapsody series and Wayfarer's Redemption are by FAR superior to Brooks (Rhapsody being the second-best fantasy series I've read). Hell, even the endless and repetitive preaching of Goodkind is more enjoyable, (thank GOD he remembered he's writing a FANTASY series in the Final Three and that the Cold War has been over for 20 years) but even they don't come close to LotR.

Since we're on the classics:

Agreed on Monte Cristo. Also, I LOVED Ivanhoe. The language can be difficult, but well worth the effort.

well of course i read them i would not comment on them if i didnt,

and you are right after the wishsong the rest just didnt cut it for me, seemed like he was just pumpin them out for cash.

how about "The lion of Ireland"?      anybody read that? about Brian Boru

UPTOWN
book of Job is very good reading also, and does not sound corny at all, at least not to me.

ya the movie "Count of Monti Cristo" was only  "OK" but to be honest the only movie i have ever watched that was worthy of the books were LOTR,

wanna talk about a book they destroyed into a movie was "Battlefield Earth" i was so pissed after watching that movie. waste of two hours, friggen book was something like 1,300 pages took me three days to read it, that was a very good book IMO, HORRIBLE movie.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »
Thanks Ink  :salute I edited that because I just realized they were asking about WW2 books. But yeah, book of Job is my all time favorite.  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
uptown
 :salute

Revelation is my favorite book in the bible.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »
Ehh. If its an interesting read, I'm all for it.