Author Topic: Agent, thanks for the tip  (Read 331 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Agent, thanks for the tip
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »
I was flying the K-4 last night playing in the dirt at an enemy airfield in a little 3 on 2 (I was on the side with 3) against an La-7 and a N1K2.  I killed the La on a high deflection 6 shot then saddled up on the N1K.  As I did I remembered something you said and I cut throttle to 40% and left it there.  I was able to go move for move with the N1K until the La snuck up behind me for his revenge kill which I didn't notice in time to avoid.

Even at 40% the K-4 had plenty of power to stay with the N1K.  I'll have to play with this a little more but so far, good tip.  Thanks.

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
Re: Agent, thanks for the tip
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »
Glad the tip helped :aok

The k4 can "gain and loose" E at will. So don't be afraid to lay off the throttle for a few seconds or even way more time than that.

Usually what happens when it goes bad is you get fast with the nose down slightly, trying for snap shots below your nose. Then it takes much longer to get your nose back up for the verticle turn. In this time they catch you. It won't really matter how slow you are as long as you can get your nose up immediatly when you need to. A nose up, flaps wingover will easily make them miss and you then have time to work the next angle for a shot.

The only time to be careful about low throttle is in a high speed situation. If they get speed over you they can use it against you. But if you have gotten them to slow down some then you have the "power" to cut throttle, drop flaps and cut the angles to guns.

But you have it right. Lots of power at only 40 or 50%. Resist the urge to wep it and catch them. You will just get real fast real quick and they will get a jump on angles due to the better turn. Be patient. IF you are close they will want to shoot you which is what you want. If they bug out get your speed back as fast as possible. You will need it on the re merge.

Like you found out the K4 will handle, turn and even climb just fine at half throttle. In fact doing this a few sorties a night will really help you understand the energy difference between you and the bandit. It will also force you use more angles and think about verticle turn more. It makes you aware of loosing and gaining energy and therefor forces you to manage energy by using the verticle either up or down to keep a constant E state.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:22:29 AM »
I tried it again tonight twice against F6F-5's.  40-60% variable depending on if I was gaining or losing ground.  Result; two dead F6F's.  And of course a full throttle turn fight against a P-51D who started with a 4K alt advantage and never stood a chance.  No wonder you always fly the K-4  ;)  What a monster.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:30:50 AM »
Yep. K4 is a beast. Only one I've seen handle that killer like you was Hammer.  For a while I was flying against you, Agent, and the kills on my ride were very quick.  Normally I am very competitive and tend toward the angry loser-but you impressed me how you did so quickly and efficiently.  I've enjoyed your vids and write ups on it, it gives a lot of insight. I knew throttle was to the 109s what flaps were to the bulk of US rides, but that low?  Interesting. Anytime you want to do a DA session or a join, let me know.  Keep it up, cool stuff. :aok
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...