Author Topic: Why is it...  (Read 838 times)

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
Why is it...
« on: June 28, 2008, 07:08:35 AM »
That nearly every scenario in the AvA and SEA seems to favor the LW squads and plane sets over the Allies and Japanese?
 :noid

I'd love to see a USAAF v Japanese in Indo-China with the only Navy rides being the Japs side.

Any thoughts on what that would do for or against participation in the AvA and FSO arenas?

:salute
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Why is it...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
If I recall last night when we ran into BF-110Gs we were in P-38Ls.

When we ran into FW-190Fs and A8s, we were in P-51Ds.

You were saying something about favoring the Luftwaffe? :huh

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 08:03:18 AM »
 :noid  Check the facts again, Sir, you may be mistaken.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 08:21:01 AM »
:noid  Check the facts again, Sir, you may be mistaken.

Sometimes even sleeping on it won't erase a bad night Halo.
He'll be fine. ;)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
Everyone
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:54:11 AM »
To Everyone,

I apollogize for any insults, agravations, or misconceptions my previous postings may have made you.  I can only offer that in RL I am fighting with stress related depression that has bled over into the game.

Quite simply... I neglected my daily Serenity prayer, and forgot I am not the only one in this game.

Grant me the Serenity to Accept those things I cannot change, the Courage to change those things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference
Many of you have offered me the wisdom I had misplaced.

Again, I apollogize for any grief my postings may have caused you.

Odee

If I recall last night when we ran into BF-110Gs we were in P-38Ls.

When we ran into FW-190Fs and A8s, we were in P-51Ds.

You were saying something about favoring the Luftwaffe? :huh
We ran into 110's in 51's as well.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:44:23 AM by Odee »
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »
My biggest complaint/observation was that only the 109F/110/190A8 were available anywhere near the action. I flew to hops in the 109F (which is actually 1 on my fav planes) and 1 in the A8. I felt kind of bad since it almost forces front quarter/HO shots vs ponies etc.

On the flip side all I saw was ponies and 38's, certainly seems like allies had a better selection planes deployment wise...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 03:31:14 PM »
We talk about the planeset in a historical matchup.  What we are not taking into context is the imbalance in rounds.  50 cals were supposed to be incendiary right?  20 mm cannons and 30 mm cannons are one shot kill explosive rounds (at least that is the way they act in this game).

Where can we find kill stats, and WW2 comparisons in ammo?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:41:45 PM by Chilli »

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 03:46:59 PM »
We talk about the planeset in a historical matchup.  What we are not taking into context is the imbalance in rounds.  50 cals were supposed to be incinary right?  20 mm cannons and 30 mm cannons are one shot kill explosive rounds (at least that is the way they act in this game).

I can assure you, having used the 20mm cannons in this game almost daily for a long period of time, that the 20mm cannon round as well as the 30mm cannon round, are not one-shot-kill rounds. Recently I've seen P38s take a 30mm and fly on, I've seen a P51 take a 30mm in the engine with nothing but a oil leak to account for... (you can actually see it in my latest film) While this ammunition  is lethal, it is not a guaranteed kill with one hit. I've seen fighters take 5-6 20mm rounds without visible damage.

It's all in how you look at things. On the recieving end, .50 cals easily become overpowered. When flying a P51 I think they're weak (very weak compared to the 20s I'm used to). I'm sure it's the same for allied pilots, 20s are lethal when you get hit but because of the slower rof some people may have serious problems putting rounds on target.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:48:36 PM by 33Vortex »

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:59:39 PM »
Furthermore, the ammunition of the MG151/20 seems to be underpowered, or else that of the Hispano overpowered- the MG151/20's round carried much more high explosive that the Hispano IIRC.
20 mm cannons and 30 mm cannons are one shot kill explosive rounds (at least that is the way they act in this game).
Hah! I've emptied the entire magazine of 20mm ammunition from a 109G2 into a Jug to kill it before.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:02:16 PM by Motherland »

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 05:08:06 PM »
If you're complaining about the .50 cal you're doing something wrong.

Trust me.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 08:49:27 PM »
Chili, hope this doesn't come out wrong, text has a way of doing that.

The .50 cal MG is a very lethal weapon, at convergance. They are modeled like that in here too. The difficult thing to do is adapt your flying style to your weapon system. You can not expect the machine to adapt to you. Snapshots from them are not as lethal as snapshots from cannon though.

Pay attention to what ranges you are actually engaging at and adjust the convergance to that, not an arbitrary point in space or where someone told you to put it. Review your films for distances you are firing. If all else fails, and you still feel strongly about it, change to a bird with canons and fly it, see what the differences really are. I am no expert, but at convergence, .50s seem to saw parts right off.  Reads rather pompous and know-it-allish to me, sorry 'bout that. :salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 06:34:19 AM »
Thanks fellas, no I am not taking it the wrong way.  Like Bug said, something is wrong in my application.  The problem is, that I have no control over lost packets (rubber bullets).  Anytime I fly a bird with cannons, my k/d goes up.  Mustangs, Corsairs and JUGs have the most bang with 50 cals, although Hellcats, and Wildcats are my favorite 50 cal carrier choices and have good punch also.

I have tried every convergence distance and configuration with the exception of anything less than 225. 

There is a huge difference in the lethality online and in practice.  In practice mode I set my lethality very low and yet still get the kind of sawing action you guys speak of.  Then using the exact same convergence online, I am forced to burn 4 times as much ammo to get the same result.  Cannons, however deliver the short burst kills that I am talking about.

I first noticed a difference in the rounds begining with AHII.  50 cals were noticeably less effective on destroying ack guns. 

Am I the only one who has to pick my opponent apart piece by little piece only to be hammered by one ping and hello tower.  As much as this sounds like a whine, I am interested if my connection, computer, hardware or other setting is so unique that only I am experiencing this.

Try turning off Vsync and shoot someone with 50 cals you might have a better appreciation of what I am talking about.  My Vsync is turned on.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »
When I am in my Mustang, I can kill anything with 150 50 cal rounds at 400-600 yds and 10 to 90 degrees deflection.  I set my convergance at 400 yds.  50 cals are at a disadvantage when shooting from 0 to 10 degree deflection.  When the "area" you are shooting at is reduced you get less hits and the explosive power of cannons gives more bang for the hit..
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 12:19:29 PM »
Tony Williams used to frequent the Aircraft & Vehicles forum here, his web site might have some interesting articles about different guns and ammunition (World War 2 fighter gun effectiviness for example). Someone did a test of the lethality of planes in AH some years back, but I couldn't find the thread with a quick search...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:22:59 PM by Panzzer »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3