Author Topic: ~S~ Every One  (Read 833 times)

Offline 47th/312thbgl_KABAYO

• Zinc Member
      • 47th/312th Bomb Group Light
Re: ~S~ Every One
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 03:31:28 AM »
~S~ Every one in AH2
Thank You for the wonderful welcome. I do fly in IL2 1946 most of the time. Also fly the Third Wire Wings Over Viet Nam and First Eagles/with the Expandsion Pack and the Battle Of Britain Wings of Victory (offline). I just wanted a change of pace and I know AH2 has made some changes, I wanted to give AH2 a try again and like to be part of this community.
It is true I am spoiled by IL2 1946 because of the realism and closed cockpit and full immersion of the game. I fly 100% realism. I hope I can help AH2 community in any way I can and I know the programmers are very busy, but if I can help this community in any way, such as new ideals on things like a Bomber Tour Of Duty I be glad to help. I am not a programmer, however I am a Historian on World War 2 Air Combat and if I don't know the answer I can always find out the answer. I am not saying I know it all because I don't, but if some one needs help on a Historical question I will be glad to help in any way I can. I do a lot of mission building in IL2 1946 and try to make them as realistic and authentic as can be, only due the maps there are not very accurate. Then again I realize that IL 2 was originally meant to be a Russian vs German Air Combat flight Sim and that 1C Maddox to increase his sells, made the add on to induce the U.S. virtual pilots to buy IL2, so the maps where not really made very accurately. Now if I can learn how to build mission here I think I can be of great service to this community, if I can't build missions, then I hope to be able to help with ideals for Historic type missions. Sorry folks it be mostly for Bombers.
Also I like to add that for 20+ years I flew mostly fighters, mostly the P-51 Mustang, P-38's and Zero's and P-47's. In the old days of CFS I started the Fame 332nd FG Tuskegee Redtails, it is still going strong in IL2, however I am no long the CO of the group.
I think now I will stick around for a couple of months and see how things go here. So once I get my stick setting done and mapped out, I see how many changes have come to AH2.
Again Thank You All for the wonderful Welcome.
Kabayo

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 04:28:10 AM »

Hello Kabayo and welcome. Since you have a longtime experience in IL2 and mine is only limited I would like to know what differences have you notice so far, if any, in the FM of the aircrafts for both games.
For e.g. what do you think is more accurate, in terms of flight performances, or flight modeling, lets say between an IL2 Pony or an AH pony and so forth. I’m not talking about Damage Modeling or Engine management where the differences are more or less known.  I’m talking about pure flight characteristics or flight handling if u like. Mine is that IL2 aircraft handling is more stiff more difficult while the AH handling is more “carefree” and forgiving, but then again I maybe wrong.

Offline A8balls

• Copper Member
      • http://a8s.us
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 03:41:04 PM »
Salute Kabayo!
VMFA-115 was one of my units in the Corps. Not WWII though  :D
Aces & 8s Since 2006

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 05:58:46 PM »
Welcome sir  :salute
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 06:11:11 PM »
There are things that he Il2 series does better than AHII. However, the game only something I do occasionally do and will never be a competitor to AHII online because it is nearly ruined by two large flaws.

The first is the viewing system. Although not bad as sims go, it has nothing on AHII. With the AHII viewing system, once you learn to handle your hat-switch well, you can concentrate on flying the airplane and keeping SA. The "head" on snapviews also moves incredibly slowly. The "mouse" view system is better, if I could learn to fly while using a mouse. Presumbably, TrackIR would work the same, I am suspicious that the views in Il2 are DESIGNED to sell TrackIR. Arguably the adjustable views in AHII give you some vis at some angles you would not have in a real airplane, however, notions of "realism" in sim views must be tempered by the fact that in a real aircraft you can move your real head about in a natural manner.

The more serious problem is the instability of the aircraft. The nose of all aircraft basically bounce around and make incredibly unstable gun platforms no matter what you do with airspeed, and trim. I suspect this instability is to make people think they are flying a more "realistic" sim, but realism it ain't.

So in Il2, you are struggling to keep vis during most combat maneuvers, and struggling to steady up for a gun solution on even the simplest dead 6 shots. Whereas in AHII, after you play awhile, flying and seeing are pretty much there, and you can concentrate on out-maneuvering the opposition. And that is why for my money AHII is always the winner, no matter how much in the way of graphics, sound effects, or numbers of modeled aircraft Il2 has to offer.