Author Topic: Disco / booted every hour  (Read 1688 times)

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
Re: Disco / booted every hour
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 08:11:48 AM »
I just had a thought...
Once when I was having a similar problem I noticed a steady decrease in my overall network speed. I had this strange feeling that it was my ADSL modem/router slowly dying, so I got a new one just to see and hey presto! Problems all went away. If you can borrow a different modem/router and give that a shot maybe your problem is something similar.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 08:17:44 AM »
re-booting your router might be enough.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 08:24:02 AM »
That did work for a short time, but then it would die off again in fairly short order.
It was actually the reason I began to suspect it in the first place so it's worth trying.

9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 07:29:11 AM »
I see a number of different issues in this thread, while most seem to think it is the same problem.

If your frame rate is dropping to the 10's, then your computer resources are just being overwhelmed.  Titanic Tuesday requires more resources due to the number of people online in one place.

Another thing to keep in mind, and I have stated this many times.  At any given time, there IS something wrong somewhere on the Internet.  Eventually you will be a victim of it.

There are many programs that will interfere with the game.  Anti-virus or any security style program has the ability to really mess with the game.  Spybot, for example, is one of the worst.  I can assure you problems will happen with the game if you use the latest version of Spybot.

Our game servers are sitting on dual OC-48's (48 DS3's, one DS3 equals 45Mb/s).  This matters very little as connection issues are usually not the last mile (i.e. the actual connection to the Internet).  Last mile connection issues are normally far more problematic and in our case, would effect everyone equally, without fail.  So, if one person can say they have a great connection, then our last mile is good to go.

The game servers themselves have never exceeded 5% of their potential capacity.  Normally they run less than 2% usage and average about 3% usage.

Everyone has access to the tools they need to determine where any given performance issue may lie.

First place to look is the in-game 'Variance' chart in the 'Net Status'.  It is your best indicator of how well your computer is responding to the game requests.  If it is nice and flat, then your computer is handling the game well.  If it is bouncing around, then your computer CPU is being pulled away from running the game. As to why that would happen, it could be a hundred things.  Typically it is local programs running in the background, but it could also be your Internet connection being overwhelmed with connection attempts from external sources.  This gets particularly bad when you have a software firewall and are logging everything.  If your computer is running out of resources, the variance could bounce all over the place due to excess hard disk activity.

If the 'Variance' is flat, but you are still having connection issues, then it is time to start looking to the Internet for the reason.  Ping Plotter is a good tool to use, but tracert works OK too.  Just run it to the game server IP address and see if there is any packet loss or timeouts along the way.  Problems can show up anywhere along the way.  If the problems appear at the last or next to the last hop, then I need to  run the trace back to you as problems showing up at the last or next to the last hop indicate potential problems on the return trip to your computer.  The limitation of a Ping Plot or a tracert being you can only test one direction.  All our connections are asynchronous where the data coming back to your computer will take a different route than the one coming from your computer.

If you are getting dropped every hour, on the hour, then that is usually due to a DHCP refresh or a DHCP release being done by your ISP.  Check with your ISP to see what DHCP settings they are using.  They can change them at any time for any connection or based on a specific group of IP addresses.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »
I have been in 2 different states and 4 different locations playing the game and is all the same with me with discos on the hour, roughly 33 minutes past the hour.  I am having issues with my clock on my computer and it has to do with something in my bios I believe.  Now when my clock is wrong, will that affect anything with the packets I am getting?  And could that be the cause of my problems?
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 09:47:23 PM »
Wether this has any relevance to your issue or not I am un-sure but I had trouble with orange/titanic arenas last week after installing a graphics driver that I thought would be better because it was newer and offered more blah, blah, blah. Thought it was Internet issue--- as in a a previous post I would choose the arena and if orange /titanic I would get to the clipboard, bases would be flashing but no dar bars and thirty sec later 'host lost connection', if I did manage to get in it was very short lived. Since I took the advice of skuzzy for driver choice no hassels. So what I am getting at is if you have changed a setting maybe look at setting it back if not then, to all that read this, thank you Skuzzy I will listen to and follow your advice forever more  :salute sir.

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 11:55:09 PM »
whats wierd for me is that i have the same problem but when i installed my mic it stopped for two days then started again. then a month or two later i installed my joystick and it stopped doing it for two days but now it won't stop no matter what. :furious :cry it is :t  :mad: :uhoh :devil :eek: :frown: :mad: :( :huh
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 09:37:46 AM »
Could you repeat ^^^^^^ again in English?

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »
I used have the perfectly timed discos myself and solved it by fixing this:

I found out that the lines in my neighborhood had deteriorated to such a state that would not allow me to get the DSL connection speed I was paying for, I was payong for "3.0 fastacces extreme DSL" . So I had to downgrade my DSL to s speed my area could handle, 1.5.  :cry According to the nice Lady on the phone this is actually become a common problem, and the phone company was not planning on fixing the lines instead they were just going to downgrade the clients as complaints came in. :confused:
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »
I have been in 2 different states and 4 different locations playing the game and is all the same with me with discos on the hour, roughly 33 minutes past the hour.  I am having issues with my clock on my computer and it has to do with something in my bios I believe.  Now when my clock is wrong, will that affect anything with the packets I am getting?  And could that be the cause of my problems?

Laptops are always more prone to discos than desktop computers.  Also, if you connect through a hotel connection it could be more problematic (not sure if this is the case, but it is worth mentioning) as most hotels use a wireless connection for their service.  Wireless connections are simply going to be iffy all the time.  It is the nature of the beast.  There are always bit errors in the stream of a wireless connection.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »
Laptops are always more prone to discos than desktop computers.  Also, if you connect through a hotel connection it could be more problematic (not sure if this is the case, but it is worth mentioning) as most hotels use a wireless connection for their service.  Wireless connections are simply going to be iffy all the time.  It is the nature of the beast.  There are always bit errors in the stream of a wireless connection.
Not on a laptop and am connected straight in with no wireless.  Have been in so many places because of military stuff.  Just wondering if it could be something with the time issue on my computer with bios?
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 06:37:06 AM »
Hard to say.  Could be a lot of things.  At any given minute of the day there is a problem somewhere on the Internet, but that is just one of the many things that can contribute to unstable connections.  Things you would not associate with discos, such as sound packs, large textures and so on can contribute to unstable connections.

The Variance in the game is the best place to start, then work out from there.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »
How warm is the room your machine is in?

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 10:16:24 AM »
I too have been getting hit with discoes about every hour.  As ive posted in past I had frame rate issues, but it turned into a disco matter.  I ran virus checks, spyware and adware checks and those problems have been addressed and still constant discoes.  Im beginning to think the problem is not with my computer.
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 09:07:49 AM »
Tool,

Turn anti virus off and check my post here is the link

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,241726.0.html
See Rule #6