Author Topic: Ditching  (Read 651 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Ditching
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:15:49 AM »
I wish that I didn't get a ditch when I am landing a plane or gv on my own base.

I know that you're supposed to stop on pavement, but why?

Not that big of a thing, but its been buggin me as to why this happens.

Your Pal,

Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Ditching
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:18:35 AM »
I wish that I didn't get a ditch when I am landing a plane or gv on my own base.

I know that you're supposed to stop on pavement, but why?

Why not?  ;)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »
Hitech has said something along the lines of "if you want your name in lights, you have to work for it. We had to set limits somewhere, so we set them at "if you land on the runway" you get your name in lights"

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:47:20 PM »
"Limit" where you land within the boundries of your own base? Why?

I,m not talkin about landing on the roof of a hanger or something.

I Thought the definition of "ditch" would be a" crashlanding" you could walk away from.

NOT making a perfect 3 point landing in the grass or dirt.

I for the life of me can't figure out why if I roll out of a GV hanger and shoot at planes and such, that I have to go back to the pavement, even though I've probably only moved 100 ft. and I am still WELL within the boundries of the base.

It doesn't make sense.

And the "name in lights" innuendo means nothing to me coming from ANYONE on these BBs.

I just think that landing a perfectly unharmed GV or plane within the boundries of ones own base shouldn't result in a "ditch

Really don't care about the "name in lights".

But if I land, I don't wanna get a "ditch" message either.

Thanks guys.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:50:08 PM by 1Boner »

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:54:58 PM »
So say HiTech extends the landing boundries of the base to about 25 feet away from the end of the runway. You end up landing about 32 feet away from it, come here and whine for the boundry to be 40 feet away from the pavement, etc, etc, etc.

Edit: Just read your edit. I see what you're getting to. Basically you want it to count as a successful landing, just not with name in the lights?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »

Edit: Just read your edit. I see what you're getting to. Basically you want it to count as a successful landing, just not with name in the lights?

Correctamundo!!

Give that man a ceeeeegar!!

Now that we're clear, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:23:47 PM by 1Boner »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »
Well, if you didn't stop on the cement, was it really successful? Or did you just slam it into the deck, and walk away?

Basically, you have to have a challenge or two in this game. Hitech said he's made one challenge that a safe landing is on the runway, not next to it.

It's a game design. It makes you appreciate the landings more where you stop on the cement.

Offline Coolguy0730

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »
Why cant we have it so long as you land within the boundries of the base (pavment or grass) with landing gear intact, its counts as a sucessful landing and you get your name put up? If you crashland, say the same just dont put up the pilot's name, and if you flat out kill yourself, I think you know where Im going.

:salute
Coolguy0730
"The mission of the USAF is to fly, fight, an to win... and don't you forget it it!" -General John P. McConnell

System: C343 landed 10256310295789 cheap kills because he can!!!!

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »
Well, if you didn't stop on the cement, was it really successful? Or did you just slam it into the deck, and walk away?

Basically, you have to have a challenge or two in this game. Hitech said he's made one challenge that a safe landing is on the runway, not next to it.

It's a game design. It makes you appreciate the landings more where you stop on the cement.

I,ve both seen and experienced belly landing a flaming piece of wreckage on the pavement and depending on the amount of kills, got the "name in lights"

All I,m asking is that when I land a perfectly good plane or vehicle within the boundries of the base that I don,t ditch. Don,t care about the name lights.

I did NOT ditch a flaming wreck on the pavement. I landed an intact plane or vehicle on the grass.

If you want your names in lights, by all means skid your pile of wreckage to a stop on the pavement for a "sucessful" landing.

And as far as game design is concerned, Isn't that why this is a "Wishlist" ?

I,m not asking for some earth shattering change here, just a little tweak.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »
Why cant we have it so long as you land within the boundries of the base (pavment or grass) with landing gear intact, its counts as a sucessful landing and you get your name put up? If you crashland, say the same just dont put up the pilot's name, and if you flat out kill yourself, I think you know where Im going.

:salute
Coolguy0730

Thats exactly what I'm NOT talking about.

Name in lights?

Land on the pavement , the way it is now.

Land in one piece (out of gas etc.) on the base but not on runway , no name in lights, but not a ditch either.

There should be a certain percentage of your plane intact for a successful landing, including the pavement.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »
One piece...as in..meaning no to little repairs? Such as a rudder missing. That would be classified as a small repair. Something such as your radiator or engine oil damaged/out, would be a large repair, and not count as the successful landing.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 02:37:34 PM »
Well if you landed a perfectly intact plane on the grass at a field, why didn't you just taxi over to the cement?

Only at some airfields did they have large grass areas (fields) to take off. Usually in this case the field was open and unused. Many fields (finished fields) had specific runways, and landing off of these would probably damaged your craft depending on the loadout and nature of the ground around the runway.

In AH we've got finished fields. They are not open grasslands. They have gun positions, ammo bunkers, buildings, odds and ends.

If we had plain old green grass landing strips, I'd be all for your idea.

We don't. We have improved runways and we have the added requirement of landing ON these improved runways.

AH isn't a recreation of WW2. IL2 does that better (mimicking the historical feel of combat). What we have is a game that gives you the tools and weapons of WW2. Any game has limitations. Otherwise there's no point in playing, eh?

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 04:12:19 PM »

AH isn't a recreation of WW2. IL2 does that better (mimicking the historical feel of combat).

In WWII pilots could barely move their heads faster than the speed of smell? Pilots couldn't stop the noses of their airplanes from bouncing up and down with every control input so badly that even dead-six, close range shots were near impossible? .50s were so innefective that you could pour "the whole nine-yards" into a 190 at close range and it would just fly away with maybe a fuel leak?  ;)

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
I'm with ya.

In AH you could run out of gas, come in a little hot and roll a few feet off the end of the runway and it's a "ditch".  In RL, you could hop on a tug and simply pull it to the fuel farm or haul some cans to it and the acft is FMC (Fully Mission Capable).

In AH you could come in with no gear and destroy the prop(s) and engine(s), tear the wings and tail(s) off and end up an upside-down fuselage on fire (read: SAPP landing :D) and get a "successful" landing.  In RL you would be seriously injured or worse and the plane would be a write-off.

My guess is this issue is well known to HT but is not high enough on the priority list.

I like it.  It's a suggestion that would lead to more realism.  I'm all about having as much realism as possible (except for pilot wounds and deaths...we'll keep those game-like) :)
"Rotorhed"

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »
Well if you landed a perfectly intact plane on the grass at a field, why didn't you just taxi over to the cement?

Only at some airfields did they have large grass areas (fields) to take off. Usually in this case the field was open and unused. Many fields (finished fields) had specific runways, and landing off of these would probably damaged your craft depending on the loadout and nature of the ground around the runway.

In AH we've got finished fields. They are not open grasslands. They have gun positions, ammo bunkers, buildings, odds and ends.

If we had plain old green grass landing strips, I'd be all for your idea.

We don't. We have improved runways and we have the added requirement of landing ON these improved runways.

AH isn't a recreation of WW2. IL2 does that better (mimicking the historical feel of combat). What we have is a game that gives you the tools and weapons of WW2. Any game has limitations. Otherwise there's no point in playing, eh?

What if your outta gas?

What if your engine is shot out and you barley make it back to the base?

What if ya bellyland and slide off the runway?

Either way I landed safely at my own base, while trying to dodge buildings and gun enplacements, enemy vulchers etc.

There are quite a few different reasons that you sometimes can,t land on a paved runway.

What about GVS?

Thats a whole other can of worms, with the same problem.

I agree that to get your "name in lights" you must land on the pavement, its a rule and thats fine.

But whether you're in a GV or a plane,if you tower out within the boundries of one of your own bases relatively intact, it should not be a ditch.