Author Topic: IDEA for new vehicles..  (Read 141 times)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
IDEA for new vehicles..
« on: March 23, 2001, 07:23:00 AM »
The problem we have at present with ground vehicles is that most of the stuff we'd like to see in the arena would have no 'real' useful role.
examples would be armoured cars,trucks,jeeps etc etc
Well i have thought of one role for say the german half track vehicle(used for towing tigers etc i believe amongst other things  )
 At present we can reload our planes but ground vehicles are stuck with one ammo load and so you take your panzer for a 30 minute run to a base start destroying stuff and suddenly you are out of rounds with the choice of ditching or driving home(yeah right!!!).
Well how about adding the half tracks as ammo carriers? able to rearm the tanks on a strike? This would make ground assaults a more logistical event.
We could introduce trucks that could run fast from tank to tank rearming them.thus removing the present out of ammo=nothing to do problem.You could make these trucks highly explosive so that whilst rearming both vehicles are extremely vulnerable.eg hitting the truck sets off an explosion equal to a 1000lber.

another idea i was working on was the jeep.
a fast recon vehicle is one possible role but obviously it would need to have some sort of effect on the battle.
Well how about having a jeep in the vacinity of an enemy base increases damage done by rounds fired from tanks by a small percentage(better fire control from spotters).or perhaps with a jeep near your tank you are given better range on icons or are then able to get icons on ground vehicles.

just a few ideas ...feel free to destroy em  

------------------
Hazed
3./JG2

Yello1

IDEA for new vehicles..
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »
Jeeps! An Excellent idea, make jeeps very fast and have them carry five troops (or 4 if you prefer to be more accurate, five would be squeeze at a speed run) and have an MG.  They could then serve as scouts - for CA guns or to check flak etc, AND they could be used in a Troop Carrier Role if two (or three if you make it four) worked together to take a field. AND you could allow them to drive on more steep terrain, which would open the map to GVS more.  Trucks Could be used to carry supplies to accelerate Base Repair, OR could carry 20 Troops the purpose of this to maybe allow base recapture even in the face of resistance. Trucks would be softer target but still should have an MG though you could omit this if you like to increase variables. German Half Track could be introduced purely to give Axis Ally mixes, and you could also give it a better damage MG with shorter range and the limited arc of the Pzr MG (which is what it had) and also give the Pnzr better speed which it had I think and you could give it slighty better toughness. NOt sure of this but the sloped armor should have helped a tinytad. You could even add a German Half Track truck (the Opal I think it was) for better speed but with no gun.  Then of course you could add the German half track with the 37 mm AT gun, for speed and AP ability and the American M3 with the 75 mm how for speed and HE ability. Really should throw in the Quad 20 mm Flakpanzer as well. There are a ton of vehicles with real differences. To compete with WWII I think there will be need to add some flavor and variety here. And in all seriousness making troops a playable position ( say a squad being a 'plane' with player moving and aiming it, and its firepower going down by taking losses) would seem to be not so terribly hard to do, not too far from what is in game now. Course I havent programed since College in the early eighties heh

Yello1

IDEA for new vehicles..
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2001, 08:06:00 AM »
Oh yes I also liked the ammo carrier idea, You could throw in the Bren Gun variant for this too! Wouldnt the Brits like a lil respect here?  And the Japs, shouldnt they get one of their little speedy tanks? And Russia needs the JS-III! Thats a perky one of course.

Yello1

IDEA for new vehicles..
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2001, 08:10:00 AM »
Oh hey Why not make the 88 Carrier actually carry an 88!  When you wish you can stop and then man the gun, give GVs ome high altitude AAA ability.

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
IDEA for new vehicles..
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
I think you'll find a mannable 88 would pretty much end GV use in the arena  
Also, if any light vehicle needs to be modeled, try (yes I know it's German, there are reasons) SdKfz222 or 231, The 222 is a 4 wheeled light amored car great speed with a 20mm gun that can elevate to 90 Deg. so it has credible AAA power, The 231 is pretty much the same except it has 8 wheels and is larger. It's not that I want more German hardware, It's just that most allied light vehicles are weak in the AAA dept, which in the MA, is a death certificate.

Note; While it might have *No* AAA ability whatsoever, I'd like to see a BT-5/7 too, those little mothers are fast  

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
IDEA for new vehicles..
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2001, 06:02:00 PM »
Given the present modeling, I doubt you'd see a difference popping a duce and a half Mack or Dodge with a .50 cal ring or an M3.

To wipe out several things at once, just introduce the US GMC DUKW. A 2 1/2 ton amphibious truck. You get the 50 cal ring, high speed, supply/troop carrying ability, and a waterborne to boot.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
IDEA for new vehicles..
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2001, 06:04:00 PM »
Oh yeah, and no Jeeps. I'd rather have a schwimmenwagon or kubelwagon. Variants mounting 20mm rings would be interesting.

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
IDEA for new vehicles..
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2001, 07:40:00 PM »
I would favor the T17E2 armored car with twin 50's over the jeep-at least you'd have a chance of defending yourself. It could do 55mph on the flat which ain't bad.  The high speed would elevate the fun factor and give it defensive/offensive capability. There was also the M19 armored tracked vehicle with twin 40mm guns.  It could make 35mph on the flat and carried quite a bit of ammo.  I have nothing against jeeps but I don't think they would last long in AH.  Guess you could mount a 106mm recoiless rifle on one though.  You would have to stop to sight and shoot but if you hit something it would be dead.