Author Topic: NEWS FLASH !! P-51B & Fw190D9 in 1.06  (Read 2849 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
NEWS FLASH !! P-51B & Fw190D9 in 1.06
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »
fscott,

La7 perked?  I really doubt that.  Everything Pyro has told me in the past does not point in that direction.

------------------
leonid, Kompol
5 GIAP VVS-KA, Knights

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2001, 06:50:00 PM »
Actually Ice, the B is indeed 3 mph faster than the D. Actually, the D is simply a P-51B with a bubble canopy and six guns. And I believe that the performance difference is not because of the guns, but because of the elimination of the P-51B's razorback. The bubble canopy isn't as aerodynamically effective as the razorback, due to the airflow around it. Perhaps someone else could explain it better, and maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I remember.

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2001, 06:55:00 PM »
Hey....we'll know the perk thing when it is released...until then arguing is pointless.

Regarding 1.06...I'm psyched!!  

<S>IC

BTW it looks like the LW plane set is "complete" (for want of a better word)for the time being anyway.  That means future releases will get our coveted IJN, RAF, and US birds to us for sure, so hang on and settle down.  That P-47M will come soon enough!

[This message has been edited by iculus (edited 03-01-2001).]

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
The B was made with both the 1650-3 and the 1650-7 that the D used.  We're using the -3 which is better suited to high altitude than the -7.  So it performs better up high than the D if that's what you're looking for.  Even so, it was added more as a general expansion of the planeset.  If we got to working on P-47s this version, we would have done a razorback D as well.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2001, 07:39:00 PM »
Pyro, Ice..I just put up a speed chart of the P51D and B models.  It came America's 100,000, and the P51B there is using the 1650-3 engine. I hope our B performs this well.

fscott

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2001, 07:50:00 PM »

Originally posted by Animal:
What do we need the P-51B for?

Whats the performance difference against the D? and does it have cannons

what?? are you mad? The p51-B is lighter, faster, climbs and turns better than the D model. No it aint got cans, only 4 50s.

*** W T G *** HTC, the best plane to be added yet!!!
PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE be an RAF MkIII with the Malcom Hood  
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2001, 08:02:00 PM »
Fscott, before you stick you foot in your mouth, do you realize that we ALREADY have a 380mph SL aircraft in the game, and its far from the most popular.

Hell... it also has 4 of the strongest 20mm cannons in the game, plus its the fastest at SL, and it doesn't dominate.

So why shouldn't it be perked as well then by your theory?

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2001, 08:17:00 PM »
Verm, the Tempest is 375 mph at sea level. It does not have anywhere near the climb rate as most other ac, and it only turns marginally well, although some claim to have seen it turn like a spit, it does not.  However, it is very close to being a perkable aircraft, yet you have to draw the line somewhere.

The La7, I'll repeat, is very fast on deck, AND it turns very very well, AND can climb like a mother. I don't see why it can be so hard to understand. Being perked does not mean its the end of the world. I suggest it will be a cheap perk. You have to draw the line somewhere, OR make all ac perked.

fscott

[This message has been edited by fscott (edited 03-01-2001).]

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2001, 09:07:00 PM »
Can't wait to get my hands on the 51B.  I already fly the D with a 4gun loadout, so the gun package is just fine with me    Add in a touch better handling and we're all set  

Maybe the La7 will be a cheap perk.  Even if it's not I dinnae think it'll come anywhere near the level of popularity of the -1C.  The La7 can't turbolaser tanks its cannon alone.  fscott are you remembering to factor in the La's plum toejamty visibility in your figuring?  I wasn't really expecting it to be a perk ride unless it became overly popular, but if it is it is.

I'm wishing/hoping the Ta-152 isn't a perk ride.  She's only really good way up high right?  I'm not gonna spend a damn point on something that's best role is facing the turbolaser 40mm BFGs the buffs carry.  No way Jose.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2001, 09:23:00 PM »
The P-51B is the one plane in 1.06 I might try, and that's only if it carries substantially more ammo per gun than the D-model

Compared to the D, the P-51B is about 5 MPH faster, climbs marginally better (particularily over 22,000 feet), accelerates a bit better, has somewhat better E-retention, and turns somewhat better.  It will have poor ground-attack capability and average visibility at best, comparible to the 109.

Changes for the D-model included:  Bubble canopy, different engine optimization, guns in upright position instead of canted, 6 guns instead of 4, different aileron design, minor changes to radiator, some changes to cockpit interior, addition of rocket stub fittings, stronger wings (for carrying more ordinance), different gunsight, eventual adition of a fin in front of rudder, and some other detail changes.

Basically, the B outperforms the D in every way, but not by much.  I think the main advantage the B will have in the arena is the green camo will make it harder to see to line up on.

If either P-51 is perked, it really should be this one, as it performs better.  In particular, watch out for its zoom climb.  However, neither P-51 is really perk material.

J_A_B

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2001, 10:10:00 PM »
Good choice on adding the P-51B.

Thanks HTC!

anRky
-Ih8ubb

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2001, 11:02:00 PM »
I dunno what it is, but that razorback canopy and olive drab paint is just so sexy.
I've always preferred the B model 51 over the D.

Looks like I found my new ride for awhile, at least until I buy Lazs' perks points on Ebay.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
I wasn't mentioning a Tempest, I was describing the Typhoon, which has a deck speed of 375, and is armed with x4 hispanos. Is it going to be perked? It should by your theory.

Have you ever looked at the climbrate of either the Typhoon (up to 10k) or the G10? Both can already climb as well, actually much better, than the La7.

FYI the turnrate of a La5FN and the La7 are both comparable to the sustained turn rate of a P-51D, about 20-21 seconds to complete a 360 degree turn, in the direction of their best turn.  Also about the same as a Yak-9U. I don't know where you get the idea that any of them are great turners. Good E fighters in the vertical but they are not TnB aircraft in the least.

So what if the La7 is very fast on the deck. Basically what you are telling me is that the La7, the most widely produced late war fighter for the VVS (5,700+ produced), more than the P-47D (25&30 combined), P-38L, Fw190D9, Me109G10, N1K2-J, Ki-84, Ki-100, Spit XIV, and many many others. Has to be perked just because of its deck speed and low alt climbrate, even though we already have other unperked fighters that have comparable performance and were much less common in the real war.

Get the thing above 15k and just about ANYTHING will outperform it. Not to mention it has no droptanks, low ammo loadout, low-moderate velocity 20mm cannons,  poor visibility, and no external ordinance. It is NOT a superplane.

I just don't get it. You keep saying "Look at XXX its too good", but we already have other planes that are just as good. Either its a standard or its not a standard. If it applies to one, it should apply to all. Show me any stat that you think is too good for the LA7, and I will show you several planes in the current planeset that can do it just as well.

What it really comes down to is that people couldn't handle the fact that a VVS fighter should be in the competition as one of the best freely available arena planes.

*GASP* you mean the Americans, Germans, and British actually had someone that could build a comparable combat aircraft in the war? NEVER!!  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Ice

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
Well, I can't speak for the others in my squad, but for a dedicated Pony driver, I'm kinda tickled to have some choice.

Btw...the data on the B vs. D models at www.mustangsmustangs.com  differs from what most of you have stated regarding performance comparisons...who to believe?  

Thanks HTC...btw nice arena...kinda brings back some memories of along time ago  

Out!

[This message has been edited by Ice (edited 03-02-2001).]

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2001, 10:35:00 AM »
The increase in German planes is great as far as I'm concerned. There've always been many german a/c, but they've never been as competitive as now - and the Ta152 and Arado are completely alone in their field as high-altitude fighter and very high-speed bomber. What's not to love?  

I also REALLY like the look of that P51B. Could become a runstang dweeb yet