Author Topic: How To Host .ahf File on Web So It's Downloadable?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
How To Host .ahf File on Web So It's Downloadable?
« on: July 19, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »
Hi folks!

I know someone out there will know this:

I need to take an Aces High film and upload it to my web space where it can be downloaded by accessing a hyperlink.  I tried uploading it as it was (an .ahf file) and up uploaded, but when I put the hyperlink up so it could be downloaded by forum users and viewed via their AH film viewer--but when I clicked on it it was gobbledy-gook code on notepad..

Does anyone know a way to make it where a forum user could simply click a hyperlink and then download the film file to their AH "films" folder and then view the film?

I want folks to be able to view the film from beginning to end how it was intended WITH audio.  No re-recording it on to other programs, just simply downloadable and then viewable in it's original form.

Anyone who's done this before?

Thanks in advance!

ROX

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: How To Host .ahf File on Web So It's Downloadable?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
ROX

Done it may times, using a simple open source FTP program. It loads up, copy the link, it downloads. Doesn't need any special treatment at all, in my experience.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 03:24:33 PM »
Hi folks!

I know someone out there will know this:

I need to take an Aces High film and upload it to my web space where it can be downloaded by accessing a hyperlink.  I tried uploading it as it was (an .ahf file) and up uploaded, but when I put the hyperlink up so it could be downloaded by forum users and viewed via their AH film viewer--but when I clicked on it it was gobbledy-gook code on notepad..

Does anyone know a way to make it where a forum user could simply click a hyperlink and then download the film file to their AH "films" folder and then view the film?

I want folks to be able to view the film from beginning to end how it was intended WITH audio.  No re-recording it on to other programs, just simply downloadable and then viewable in it's original form.

Anyone who's done this before?

Thanks in advance!

ROX

I use mediafire for this.  I know it's not on your webspace but you could upload to mediafire and put the link on your space.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »
Set up your net space as a folder in 'My Network Places', then just use Windows Explorer to copy the file like you would to any other folder.

To get there, go to START>My Computer>My Network Places> Add New Network Place and follow the wizard.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:05:12 PM »
Aces High Movie Database

http://www.aceshighmovies.com/
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline SuperbKi11er

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
ROX put it in a ZIP folder. I really don't understand very well what ur asking.
LONG LIVE THE KNIGHTHOOD.
WE SHALL NEVER DIE. "Th knights are no longer doormats" Rox Everyday.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 06:32:33 PM »
it might be an association problem. You computer might be associating it as a text file or something. If you go into windows explorer and double click on the .ahf does it open your player, or does it open the window as "what do you want to do blah blah blah"? If it goes to the blah blah blah crap your computer isn't associating it with the film player. Have you had any others try the link?

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »
it might be an association problem. You computer might be associating it as a text file or something. If you go into windows explorer and double click on the .ahf does it open your player, or does it open the window as "what do you want to do blah blah blah"? If it goes to the blah blah blah crap your computer isn't associating it with the film player. Have you had any others try the link?

I thought about this too -- your AHF files should have the AH Ace of Spades icon associated with them, like word documents show the W symbol.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 07:56:20 PM »
If you send it to me, I will put it up here for you.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 02:45:44 AM »
Wouldn't it still be possible to right click the link and have the option to "Save target as"?  That way it could be downloaded to the local machine and run through the app rather than the web browser trying to open and display the file as a web page. 

kinda shooting in the dark here, may be worth a shot though.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 12:54:22 PM »
Wouldn't it still be possible to right click the link and have the option to "Save target as"?  That way it could be downloaded to the local machine and run through the app rather than the web browser trying to open and display the file as a web page. 

kinda shooting in the dark here, may be worth a shot though.

Yes, FTP direct upload.

You'd think it would just pop-up if someone wants to download the file and where.  Instead it just came up as code in notepad.

I experimented on our own squad forum because it is VERY simalar to this one and the "Save Target As" thing worked.

http://www.entertainmentworlds.com/Snaphook_Incident.ahf

See if it works for you and THANK YOU!

ROX
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:14:58 PM by ROX »

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 01:21:25 PM »
Yes, FTP direct upload.

You'd think it would just pop-up if someone wants to download the file and where.  Instead it just came up as code in notepad.

I experimented on our own squad forum because it is VERY simalar to this one and the "Save Target As" thing worked.

http://www.entertainmentworlds.com/Snaphook_Incident.ahf

See if it works for you and THANK YOU!

ROX

EDIT: 
When you "Save Target As" and save to the "films", it saves it as a htm file.  Bummer

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 02:05:39 PM »
EDIT:  When you "Save Target As" and save to the "films", it saves it as a htm file.  Bummer
When you right click and Save Target As, the dialog box comes up "Save As".  In that window change the "Save File Type As" to All Files.  This is located at the bottom of that window.  Then in the Filename box above that change the filename to Snaphook_Incident.ahf (add the .ahf).  Save the document, then open the file.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 02:06:29 PM »
That is strange..

Click on it and I also get the notepad with garbage, but 'save target as' works fine.

I took the liberty of putting it on one of my webhosts and get this:

http://www.ka4zzq.com/Nightmares/films/Snaphook_Incident.ahf

See if that works any differently.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group