Author Topic: Tips on the P-38L  (Read 1511 times)

Offline FireDragon

• Zinc Member
Re: Tips on the P-38L
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »

Any plane that is flap dependent, like the P-38 and Ki-84. 

ack-ack

Thank You ACK-ACK   <S>   <R>

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 03:11:57 AM »
thx for the tips MtnMan  :salute
now posting as SirNuke

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »
Anyone having trouble against F4U-4's in the P-38's?

With the 38G, I outturn them 80% of the time but with my fave, the Juliet, I have a good amount of trouble. Those things can run me down pretty easily so I can't use my zoom since they're usually too close.

What would you say would be the best option to defeat a 4-Hog (my friend and I usually duel. Start at 1K off the deck, turn around and attack each other. I always continue to run right after the merge so that I can gain altitude and fight more easily. Then, he's usually behind me but far away.. some +2K. If he turns around he's probably already in an energy disadvantage but if he runs and gains alt too, what do I do?).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:49:53 PM by SgtPappy »
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 08:06:29 PM »
I have always had combat trim on, having read this thread I will turn it off now, and see how things go.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »
Anyone having trouble against F4U-4's in the P-38's?

With the 38G, I outturn them 80% of the time but with my fave, the Juliet, I have a good amount of trouble. Those things can run me down pretty easily so I can't use my zoom since they're usually too close.

What would you say would be the best option to defeat a 4-Hog (my friend and I usually duel. Start at 1K off the deck, turn around and attack each other. I always continue to run right after the merge so that I can gain altitude and fight more easily. Then, he's usually behind me but far away.. some +2K. If he turns around he's probably already in an energy disadvantage but if he runs and gains alt too, what do I do?).

The -4 Hog is probably the best prop fighter in the game, and you'll be hard pressed to beat a well flown -4 Hog in a P-38, provided they enter the fight on an equal basis.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 10:40:40 PM »
Indeed so. From reading up on the Lightning and flying the Hogs a lot though, I now know well that the P-38 is has superior zoom, dive and low speed handling. Though it doesn't zoom the fastest, it hangs in the air for longer periods of time than the other prop fighters. I just have to figure out how to emphasize these advantages through particular maneuvers.

Too bad we don't have factory-rated engine specs on our Lima. Otherwise, I might have flown it a little more often.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.